586,892 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

E-Stop Wiring?

I have almost finished building my DIY MDF 3 axis CNC machine, and now I would like to add an E-Stop.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19603

Loooking through various threads their seems to be a difference of opinion regarding on what an E-Stop should turn off when depressed. I was thinking once I hit the button that the axis's should stop moving and power to the router halted?

I would appreciate in laymens terms what would be the best setup and if possible and diagram to show the wiring(please bear in mind that before soldering the HobbyCNC driver board I had very little prior knowledge).(group)

Thanks in advance.

Liam

PS I may possibly using a relay for the router.

This is a GREAT learn how to do it yourself project. Get a relay with two NO contacts and two NC contacts, a start pushbutton that is NO (normally open - electric only flows when you press it down), and an E-stop pushbutton that is NC.

Put it together one step at a time.

First make it so the relay closes whenever you push the start button.

Then make it self latching. So it stays on whenever you push the start button (hint - put power to one of the NO contacts on the relay and then bring a wire around to the coil form the other side of that contact)

Now, put your Estop button in the middle of the self latching line. the relay should now stay on whenever you push the start and go out when you push the stop. Examine how you could put more than one stop button in the circuit.

When I worked at a major corporation this relay was always called the Master Control Relay, MCR.

Now, all you have to do is place power to one of the remaining NO contacts on MCR and then run it to whatever circuits you want to drop when Estop is pressed. Opinions start to differ here. I do the whole damn machine, Estop is for an EMERGENCY, Its broke - kill it. Every motor on the machine has a relay (or motor starter) in front of it. Take the power from MCR to all your relays in front of what ever operator switches you have.

Karl

Much appreciated, thanks Karl.

Liam

If you have any questions on how to accomplish anything on your components under Estop, describe what you want it do do both when you Estop it and when you reset the Estop. Myself or somebody else will be glad to help.

Karl