586,106 active members*
3,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Passive probe error

While trying to use my passive probe in PP I keep getting the error "Probe tripped during a non-probe MDI command".
    When I go faster it is better but have not gone to a feed rate over 35.
    Anyone else found a work around?

Re: Passive probe error

I was getting the same. I went to 10IPM for first contact and it drops to .5 IPM for second contact.

I also discovered that when I did the 1.6 update the PP zeroed out the tool diameter for my probe in the tool table.

Dave

If the probe trips while jogging you will get that, and the axis will stop. It looks at it anytime it's connected. Is that what's happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Philbobb View Post
    If the probe trips while jogging you will get that, and the axis will stop. It looks at it anytime it's connected. Is that what's happening?
    No it is erroring while trying to probe the stock for setup.

I tried to use my Passive Probe yesterday and it it would start moving in .0001" and was going no where fast. It would have taken a week to probe the part I was trying to work on. Something happened with PP 1.6 I think. It worked for me at least the couple times i used it in PP 1.5. I did not see any settings for it at all so I am unsure what to do other than write it off as a PP 1.6 issue. Any ideas?
    Donald

Before you start a probing operation make sure your feed rate is at 10 IPM. The machine will then travel at that feed for first contact and then at .5 IPM for second contact. Also make sure you probe diameter is correct in the tool table.

The more I think about PPs probing micros the first contact just establishes where the part is. then when it makes second contact the machine continues to move until it has moved 1/2 the probe diameter and sets that as zero. Mach3 does things different. On contact the micro does the math for half the probe diameter and sets zero that way.

Watch the computer screen and you will see when the probe makes contact and the hear the machine continue to move.

Dave