586,384 active members*
3,603 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need DRO info

Hi. I have a Bridgeport style mill with a Quality Measuring Systems "Quality 500" set of sensors. The glass scales and scanning units came with the machine, but there is no display. The wiring that connects to each scanning unit is disconnected. Does anyone know anything about these systems? I was hoping to figure out how to power the scanning units up for testing (without breaking them). I have electronic test equipment including an oscilloscope, so if I could verify that the electronics aren't dead, then I can worry about getting a display ... Thanks.

Attached are the QMS pages I scanned that explain where the connector is attached to the board inside the encoder and how to set up your o-scope to see the signals from the encoder.

Tim
    LMSC
    www.digitalreadoutsystem.com

Quote Originally Posted by dannad View Post
    Hi. I have a Bridgeport style mill with a Quality Measuring Systems "Quality 500" set of sensors. The glass scales and scanning units came with the machine, but there is no display. The wiring that connects to each scanning unit is disconnected. Does anyone know anything about these systems? I was hoping to figure out how to power the scanning units up for testing (without breaking them). I have electronic test equipment including an oscilloscope, so if I could verify that the electronics aren't dead, then I can worry about getting a display ... Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0002.jpg   scan0003.jpg   scan0001 (2).jpg  

Thanks for the reply Tim. This is very helpful information. I still have a question about the wiring, though. Figure 3-3b (scan0003.jpg) shows the sin and cos signal pins as pins 8 and 7, respectively, but I can't tell why the other pins are there. It looks like there are some specifications on pins 1 and 5, but I can't read them. Are the power supply pins 1 and 5? If so, do you know what voltage levels they require?

Also, do you have any idea what type of display would work if the sensors are OK? Thanks again ...

Quote Originally Posted by dannad View Post
    Thanks for the reply Tim. This is very helpful information. I still have a question about the wiring, though. Figure 3-3b (scan0003.jpg) shows the sin and cos signal pins as pins 8 and 7, respectively, but I can't tell why the other pins are there. It looks like there are some specifications on pins 1 and 5, but I can't read them. Are the power supply pins 1 and 5? If so, do you know what voltage levels they require?

Also, do you have any idea what type of display would work if the sensors are OK? Thanks again ...
    Pin 1 is +V

Pin 5 is -V

Any display that will accept 5 volt TTL square wave signals will work. The scale are either 10um/.0005" or 2um/.0001" resolutions. Any older, Acu-rite, Anilam, Sargon, Quality Measurement System displays will work with your scales.

Regards,

Tim

Red face QMS Quality 500 Scales

Hi,
    If you decide that you want to sell them, let me know. I hav a Quality 500 DRO and am looking for scales.
    Thanks