586,608 active members*
3,441 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > What technique do you employ to make many parts?
Page 1 of 2 12

What technique do you employ to make many parts?

One time I wanted to make 4 aluminum brackets at once. I made an assembly in inventor and then exported the IGS of that into Sprutcam. It didn't work as I expected. For some reason faces were missing and it was a mess. I am not certain where the issue lied. Was it the Inventor Output? Was it the Sprutcam IGS interpreter? Who knows!

I have seen many videos out there where people do a bunch of parts in a fixturing plate. This is what I am trying to achieve but my method is somehow flawed.

I would like to read how you guys have managed to do this successfully. Thanks for sharing!
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

Re: What technique do you employ to make many parts?

I don't use SprutCAM, though I did try it a few years ago, and found it unnecessarily complex and convoluted. Since you have Inventor, have you considered using HSMXpress? It's free, and for 2.5D work it is fabulous. If your version of Inventor supports assemblies, you can use them directly, without having to import an IGES, STEP, etc. That avoids a lot of problems right there. I was doing useful work with HSMXpress in a fraction of the time it took to do very basic operations in SprutCAM, and support on the HSMXpress forum is also fantastic - I've never failed to get an answer to any question in very short order.

All my production parts are made on dedicated fixtures, typically 5-10 parts at a time. Each fixture it different, based on the requirements of the particular part. Post a model of your part, and you'll get a lot more useful help, since so much depends on the specific geometry of the part itself.

Regards,
    Ray L.

assuming all 4 brackets are the same, I would just draw up one bracket, load it up into sprut, then make 3 more copies, rotate them as needed to make them fit and go from there...
    but I admittedly have no clue what I am doing, so that may be something to consider...

If the orientation of all the brackets is the same, just import a single bracket and use the transformations section in each operations parameters to create an array.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Since you have Inventor, have you considered using HSMXpress? It's free, and for 2.5D work it is fabulous.
    Fascinating! I was under the impression that HSMXpress was free for Solid works, but if it is also available for Inventor will give that a try. Thanks for the pointer!

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    assuming all 4 brackets are the same, I would just draw up one bracket, load it up into sprut, then make 3 more copies, rotate them as needed to make them fit and go from there...
    but I admittedly have no clue what I am doing, so that may be something to consider...
    You know, I didn't think about loading the same part multiple times. Shame on me! Will give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by danh818 View Post
    If the orientation of all the brackets is the same, just import a single bracket and use the transformations section in each operations parameters to create an array.
    Yet another technique which didn't cross my mind. I have used transformations for rotational jobs but it makes sense to me a linear axis transformation could do the job as well. Thanks for the pointer!

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
    One time I wanted to make 4 aluminum brackets at once. I made an assembly in inventor and then exported the IGS of that into Sprutcam. It didn't work as I expected. For some reason faces were missing and it was a mess. I am not certain where the issue lied. Was it the Inventor Output? Was it the Sprutcam IGS interpreter? Who knows!

I have seen many videos out there where people do a bunch of parts in a fixturing plate. This is what I am trying to achieve but my method is somehow flawed.

I would like to read how you guys have managed to do this successfully. Thanks for sharing!
    Sprutcam is very critical of the igs model, something may be flawed in the model causing strange things to happen in Sprut, I have this problem once in a while. I have to go back to Rhino and redraw the model using the most direct procedures, too many changes on the model seem to cause problems for me in Sprut,

This is just something to keep in mind if Sprut wont work as expected.

I draw the original in CAD and array in CAD for the number of parts I need, then import the model into Sprut.

Then I select all the curves or faces in one of the parts for the side I want to machine, then use the Transform tab to set the number of parts, in this particular op for machining.
    This seems to work well except for tapping in Path Pilot, there I get an error using the Transform function, if this happens I go back and select each curve or face of the original model for whatever op I am doing.
    I dont try to set up multiple parts in Sprut as its a hassle for me, its much easier to do it in the CAD program, this again is personal preference.

I make small parts of several different varieties usually 4 to 8 parts per piece of stock, usually holding the dedicated fixture in the vise.
    I have never used a fixture plate per se, I would like to in the future though.
    I have only been into cnc machining for 3 years or so, and at the hobby level, so I am still learning, this is just the way I make my parts and may be very unorthodox to an experienced machinist.
    mike sr

Attachment 275668

This is one of my vise fixtures that machines 4 of these parts at once. The first side is done in the vise, then flipped and put on the fixture for the second side. The parts are small and a 6 inch vise will hold 4 pieces of these.
    mike sr

I get good results and full control by drawing each part in cad software and then load them into cam. In sputcam's case you can load as many parts as you can fit on your fixture or mill table.
    You can arrange them with fixtures and screws to hold them in place. Sput cam will change tool paths to avoid the screws and fixtures ...I mentioned in another thread I past the very cool parametric cam and now im working with nesting of multiple parts. You can define stock for all parts form one piece or for each part and position as desired. I have done additive models also where I fixture one part perform mill operations then mount additional material and mill the 2 parts together as a pair and so on "makes for very cool blended radius tool operations between parts". One of the reason I enjoy the software, it is only complex for a few weeks then its power starts to shine and you quickly find it has few limits if you think about how the software is designed "open model object oriented program". And how to leverage that kind of model.

Example of different parts on 1 fixture plate with operations defined.

Attachment 275706

Fun stuff

To be clear you can also draw complete assemblies of parts and import them and all the fixtures all pre positioned and ready to go if you have newer cad software with good igs export file operation "I don't"

I use Sprut and find it powerful and easy, it seems easier than any other CAM I've been around. It took a short time to get into it but it is worth it. I use transformation and also import the same igs multiple times just depends on what I'm doing.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

I have never experienced any problems with SprutCAM importing IGS since I first started SC in 2009. Then I was using TurboCAD and for the last four years I have used Solidworks (with more complicated curves). I am using SC7. No experience with Inventor.

Other threads on the import format for Sprut have discussed problems with importing IGS when very small gaps exist.
    Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    Other threads on the import format for Sprut have discussed problems with importing IGS when very small gaps exist.
    Bevin
    This reminds me to suggest trying the 'sew faces' command under the model tab. It will usually alleviate gap and selection issues with problem faces.

Very nice fixture and parts. Thanks for posting.
    Do you do all ops in that one fixture or do you pre drill the parts first?

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Attachment 275668

This is one of my vise fixtures that machines 4 of these parts at once. The first side is done in the vise, then flipped and put on the fixture for the second side. The parts are small and a 6 inch vise will hold 4 pieces of these.

This is similar to my process. I draw the fixture and pars on cad (rhino) then import what i need into sprut.
    I do not find sprutcam to be easy and intuitive. It gets the job done and it is capable but you have to pay your dues and find its glitches.

Here is a good vide on multiple parts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYRS2eSJ6SM

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Sprutcam is very critical of the igs model, something may be flawed in the model causing strange things to happen in Sprut, I have this problem once in a while. I have to go back to Rhino and redraw the model using the most direct procedures, too many changes on the model seem to cause problems for me in Sprut,

This is just something to keep in mind if Sprut wont work as expected.

I draw the original in CAD and array in CAD for the number of parts I need, then import the model into Sprut.

Then I select all the curves or faces in one of the parts for the side I want to machine, then use the Transform tab to set the number of parts, in this particular op for machining.
    This seems to work well except for tapping in Path Pilot, there I get an error using the Transform function, if this happens I go back and select each curve or face of the original model for whatever op I am doing.
    I dont try to set up multiple parts in Sprut as its a hassle for me, its much easier to do it in the CAD program, this again is personal preference.

I make small parts of several different varieties usually 4 to 8 parts per piece of stock, usually holding the dedicated fixture in the vise.
    I have never used a fixture plate per se, I would like to in the future though.
    I have only been into cnc machining for 3 years or so, and at the hobby level, so I am still learning, this is just the way I make my parts and may be very unorthodox to an experienced machinist.

I design each part manually, and then figure out what jigs I will need to hold N (often 10) of them.
    Then I program the machining, allowing for doing each operation N times. M98 p100 LN
    Designing the holding jigs is of course part of the game.
    Works for me - I sell the results.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    I have never experienced any problems with SprutCAM importing IGS since I first started SC in 2009. Then I was using TurboCAD and for the last four years I have used Solidworks (with more complicated curves). I am using SC7. No experience with Inventor.

Bevin
    This is what I am refering to is the .igs model that isnt quite correct from CAD, it will say that its a solid and that its correct in cad but sometimes it wont work correctly in sprut, in my case, it always goes back to something wrong with the model. The biggest problem is surfaces that have been modified or holes moved etc , I use Rhino and have found that if I break the drawing down to the basic curves to get rid of the changes, put them in the drawing from the beginning and reconstruct the model it works, why, I am really not sure.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    This is similar to my process. I draw the fixture and pars on cad (rhino) then import what i need into sprut.
    I do not find sprutcam to be easy and intuitive. It gets the job done and it is capable but you have to pay your dues and find its glitches.
    This is how I have heard people describe Rhino vs Solidworks, some find one easier than the other to understand and find comfortable.
    I have been using SprutCAM since 2008, I've been exposed to OneCNC, MasterCAM, SurfCAM and HSMXpress. All but HSM seems to require many extra non-intuitive to me steps and procedures. I use Solidworks and have used Geomagic quite a bit also.
    I know that sometimes Inventor can export strange igs files, I have never heard of SW doing this unless in was a Inventor file opened and saved in SW and converted to igs before importing into Sprut.
    Different views of software and how it should work is why when asked I recommend trying the Trial versions of software, everyone sees and interprets things differently.

When doing multiples keep in mind how you may need to make changes to your code. If the distances are set in the code then you need to be sure fixture placement is exact every time, if you use multiple offsets then each part is actually more individual and initial setup can vary since you locate each piece location during setup. Fixture design is often a involved process but can save you if you are doing many of the same arts. The longer my machine runs the more time I can run another machine thus making more dollars per hour for the shop. Keeping two machines running and have time to assemble parts is the optimal goal.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Very nice fixture and parts. Thanks for posting.
    Do you do all ops in that one fixture or do you pre drill the parts first?
    Thanks,
    The parts are drilled tapped and bored on one side in the vise, then the four part assembly is flipped and indicated after bolting to the fixture, then the second side is machined.
    mike sr

There are other ways than relying on igs and STL. This shows 18 parts being made in one hit.
    Attachment 275788
    Several tool changes, but each tool change serves all 18 parts. Parametric programming is a major factor.

Cheers
    Roger

Page 1 of 2 12