586,655 active members*
3,368 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PP thread milling

I was playing around with my path pilot today. Thread milled a hole and the threads were left hand. I don't see anywhere to change to right handed threads.
    Don't Panic!

Quote Originally Posted by davidperry3 View Post
    I was playing around with my path pilot today. Thread milled a hole and the threads were left hand. I don't see anywhere to change to right handed threads.
    I don't have it, but is there a top-bottom vs bottom-right option? Typically a right handed thread is milled bottom of hole to top.

Re: PP thread milling

If you were using the conversational page to program the thread mill, and you haven't upgraded to V1.6, you may want to. It lists the left hand instead of right hand threads as a bug fix.

Direct Document and Software Download | Tormach Inc. providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.

Adam

Just change G02 to G03, or vise-versa.

I had the same problem the first time I cut an inside thread. I must have reprogrammed that thread a dozen times before it hit me like someone hit me with a baseball bat.

START AT THE BOTTOM AND THREAD UP.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Installed v 1.6 the threading appears to work normally. I did learn that the machine needs to be out of e-stop to choose internal or external threads in the conversational tab. I also noticed that the z dro does not change while the machine is running (the real z is actually moving normally).
    Don't Panic!

I did thread milling on PP v1.6 the other day and starting at the top and going down worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    I did thread milling on PP v1.6 the other day and starting at the top and going down worked just fine.
    Whether you go top-down or bottom-up is a function of both whether you're cutting LH or RH threads, and whether you're climb or conventional milling.

Thread Milling Direction
    =================
    RH Climb Bottom-Up
    RH Conv. Top-Down
    LH Climb Top-Down
    LH Conv. Bottom-Up

When thread-milling, climb milling is strongly preferred.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Whether you go top-down or bottom-up is a function of both whether you're cutting LH or RH threads, and whether you're climb or conventional milling.

Thread Milling Direction
    =================
    RH Climb Bottom-Up
    RH Conv. Top-Down
    LH Climb Top-Down
    LH Conv. Bottom-Up

When thread-milling, climb milling is strongly preferred.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    OR, climb cutting or conventional cutting. To climb cut a right hand internal thread, start at the bottom and thread clockwise up. If you go top down, you'll be conventional cutting. Not really cutting, just pushing material out of the way.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by davidperry3 View Post
    I also noticed that the z dro does not change while the machine is running (the real z is actually moving normally).
    Was that only while you were thread milling or all the time? Did you feed that back into Tormach's Beta Bug reporting database?

http://www.tormach.com/pathpilot_tracking.html
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    OR, climb cutting or conventional cutting. To climb cut a right hand internal thread, start at the bottom and thread clockwise up. If you go top down, you'll be conventional cutting. Not really cutting, just pushing material out of the way.
    Did you not bother to actually read what I wrote before responding? And conventional milling is hardly "just pushing material out of the way". It cuts, and makes chips, just like climb milling, the only difference being the chip is thicker at the end of the cut than at the beginning, while climb milling is exactly the opposite.

Regards,
    Ray L.

All of the conversational programs appear to climb mill by default, without the option to conventional mill.