586,536 active members*
2,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hitachi Seikis > HS500 Axis amps #8 fault in the morning

HS500 Axis amps #8 fault in the morning

Has anyone had amps that needed warmed up? (like with a heat gun) My Mag, B, and X amps wont start up until I warm them. Top board in Amp will take the problem for X to Y. a20b-2100-0250 Rev 6C seems to be a rather hard to find board, I found Rev 5's and they are not compatible. Once I get the thing started it will run all day without a problem?

Re: HS500 Axis amps #8 fault in the morning

Ive heard of warming up in the sense of letting the power sit on the back side before turning on the control. Do you literally have to use a heat gun to start them up? What happens when you do the first start of the day?

John

1st start = 8 fault on the servo. Leaving the power on does not help. It must be physically warmed to the point that turning on the main gives me --
    Then it will run all day. This condition has worsened over time, at first a minute or two to warm up, now it takes 20 minutes. It is the top board in the amp, as I have caused the problem to move from amp to amp by moving the top board from amp to amp. Thanks!

This is definitely different. Usually warming can attributed to an overheated chip. What happens is the chips on the boards heat and cool, as they normally would when in operation. Over time, this stresses the solder connections, and eventually they crack. So what happens is you turn the control on, the cracks are just big enough that the connection is not there. Once you heat it up, it expands and the contact is made and the chip is back online, thus your drive is back online. I have seen this happen with older boards and many (especially Apple) motherboards. It is fixed by doing a reflow where the entire unit is heated to the flowing point of the solder, and you block/protect the rest of the board and only have the questionable chip exposed to the heat, that reestablishes the connection. This may not be the case, but physical heat is an indicator. Its not a matter of pre-charging the drives. Hope this helps, that would be my guess

John

Thank you John. That idea sounds good, I will retouch the solder joints and see what happens.
    Note:The board is two sided SMT, there is not much I can do with it.