586,770 active members*
8,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234

Re: Fanuc 0M Gcode file size?

Al,

I replaced the receiver chip and the transmitter chip while I was at it. I put sockets in place of the old chips and put new chips in the sockets. I was sure this would fix the issue but it did not.

The chips that were on the board were SN75189AN and SN75188N chips. I replace with like chips. Is the 1489 and 1488 chip further down the pipeline or is simply another version of the chips on my board? Looks to me like it would be another version of the chips that were on my board.

As I said in my earlier post I have checked and I have conductivity from ground to the common pin on the chip. I have conductivity from the 5V pin on the board to the 5V pin on the chip and I have conductivity from pin 3 on the 25pin port to the receive pin on the chip. The loss of the data happens after the signal gets to the SN75189AN chip. I have tried two brand new chips in the socket and neither has worked.

Nitro,

Have you traced the output of the 1489 chip elsewhere on the board? If memory serves, the 1489 receiver chip is designed to fail in a way that generally protects whatever logic is on the other side, however, it may have damaged the next chip down the line. From your previous post you also mentioned cleaning metal shavings off the board. If one of those shavings shorted and popped a downstream chip..... I have an Om A controller in mill I'm slowly rewiring. I'll see if your board # (post #59) matches mine tonight. What port/which board does your serial line plug into? I have also read somewhere that there may be another serial port available in the Om A.

Charles

P.S. Just curious.... Who made your machine? I don't recall seeing it listed in the posts.

Charles,

I have not traced the path further down the line on the board. I was hoping someone would know what the next problem spot would be. I can try to trace it the next time I take it out of the machine. I am getting pretty good at removing it from the machine by now. I have had it out 4 times since I brought it home.

I am plugged into M5 as my board does not have the second port M74.

The machine is a Sieber Hegner RB1 CNC. The phyiscal part of the machine is in excellent working condition (except the spindle taper needs to be reground). It appears that most things work on the CNC side of the machine as well. Just need to figure out how to communicate with it and I would be in good shape.

Well rats... I have have the digital version (A16B 1010 0210) of the OmA, which isn't useful for and apples to apples comparison. Serial does plug into M5 and I also don't have the M74 plug. I would think much of the serial setup is the the same... Found this: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fanuc/...10-0210-a.html while hunting for info. You may have already looked at it, but post #5 has some info on serial settings you could compare. cncrepair.com lists a price of $1250.00 fro repair and I see the Ebay has a bunch of the -0150 boards. Looked at pictures of the your mill... slick little machine. Good Luck!

Charles

Charles,

Thanks for checking. I will take a look at the settings you mention but I don't think it will matter as the communication works one way.

I will give cncrepair a call to see if they know what might be the problem. I am leery of the ebay used boards as they will possibly have issues as well. I would rather try to repair the board I have. If I have to spend 1K to fix or replace the board I will probably retrofit the control system with LinuxCNC. Then if something goes wrong I can replace the bad component rather inexpensively.

As for the mill. I decided to buy it because I was going to spend more money on buying a benchtop mill and converting it to CNC than I was going to spend on this machine and this one is a much more rigid machine with box ways and ball screws already installed. It has a one shot automatic lubricator, coolant pump system, power draw bar, etc. The head is basically a bridgeport clone with a fixed quill and variable speed. I need to remove the quill and spindle and regrind the spindle taper since it is bell mouthed from use. I have about 0.002" runout at 2" from the spindle face. I am going to try to do the regrind myself on my lathe with a toolpost grinder. I am not scared to try anything. I can't screw it up much worse than it already is. I am doing it all for the challenge and fun anyway. This is just a hobby machine that I may make a little side money with.

Once I get all of the issues fixed I may be close to the cost of the benchtop mill conversion but I should still have a much better machine overall.

I hear you on the EBay boards. I look for boards with a return policy for that reason. A friend of mine has called the guys at cncrepair.com in the past and been pleased with their willingness to help troubleshoot. I think you'll be pleased with your mill... Comments from another friend on his benchtop have kept me away from them. The rigidity of your machine will have you glad that you bought it. I started (and still have) a Bridgeport with the Eztrak controller. My little shop started as hobby shop (still is sort of) and is now a second job.

Charles

P.s. If you do decide to retrofit.... Can I have the cables out of the machine? My machine is a bit a of a restoration project as some employee somewhere cut a number of the cables in half. I have all the wire... but I have found that a couple of the cables (the serial being one of them) has multiple white and black wires with no bands to indicate which is which...

Charles,

If I go with the retrofit I would be able to provide some cables. I could probably provide the serial cable. My plan is to reuse the cables that are on the machine just buy the honda connectors to tap onto the end of the existing cables and then run short pigtails to the new control board. I think that all of the motor and encoder cables will work fine in this way. The other cables that are interconnecting the various Fanuc boards may be up for grabs. I will let you know if I decide to retrofit.

if metal chips were on the board while it was powered on then the board is toast. you will have multiple blown IC's that are beyond repair for most people unless you have equipment and experience to pull and replace dozens of through-hole DIP chips from 4 or 6 layer PCBs without damaging the circuit using the shotgun method (i.e replace everything), or have digital logic fault-finding experience to find the bad chip or chips.
    I have bought many replacement boards on ebay and they were fine. Just be sure to buy one that is sold as working. that way you can always send it back for a full refund if it doesnt work. that is an easier and cheaper option in my opinion.

Ok,

So here is the delima. Do I replace the Fanuc board with a like board for ~$750.00. I will still have just 48K of memory to play with. I guess due to the silence on the subject that I will not be able to drip feed the Fanuc OMA. It will still be a 25 year old board that if something goes wrong will cost another $750.00 to replace.

Do I retrofit with LinucCNC. Replace the Fanuc board with a servo interface board. Replace the servo drives with new drives, Sell the rotary phase converter and switch the spindle motor and coolant pump to vfd's. I think I can do all of this for around $1200.00. Then I have a machine that can run programs of any size. I can set the machine up to rigid tap. I can add a fourth axis. I could eventually add an ATC.

What are the pros and cons of both that I am not thinking of or I don't know about.

LinucCNC will not offer power as Fanuc does with its drivers.
    indeed you will have movements on axes but never get the power from the motors to mill as a CNC should do.
    i am for upgrading the 0-MA to 0-MC and you get the dripfeed and also the ladder showing for later troubleshooting.
    just an opinion ,is not a "must"

most board sellers are selling parts stripped from scrapped machines and they have absolutely no idea what they are or what they are worth. I have seen identical items going for $50 from one seller and $2000 from another seller. just look for one that is in your price range and buy it. buying a board and replacing it is a quicker method to fixing the machine. if you retro-fit a PC it will take many months or even years until you have it fully working. if you want the machine working now replace the board. if time is not an issue and you want more capability then retro-fit it. just be aware that retro-fitting is not simple and you might actually get to a point where it cant be done or will never work for some reason then you will be left with a machine that is unusable.
    or shotgun the board and replace every chip one by one starting near the communication chips and test it after each change and eventually it will work.... providing the board is not damaged in the chip-changing process.

zavateandu,

I plan on using the same servo motors that are already on the machine. I am just contemplating replacing the servo drive with the pico systems drives. The reason for this is two fold, first expandability. I could then add a fourth axis by simply adding another drive and servo motor. Secondly I would like to remove the three phase input from the machine and feed it 240V single phase. I could then get rid of the rotary phase converter and use VFDs to run the two remaining 3phase motors the spindle and the coolant pump.

Since I am going to be using the servo motors that are on the machine and the replacement drives should provide the same power output with similar voltage and amperage to the motors I don't see power as being an issue with the retrofit.

As for replacing the OMA board with an OMC, I am not sure if that would be a straightforward replacement. It would require all of the OMC daughter boards, I don't know if the operator panel components are applicable to the OMC, I imagine that I would have to have someone setup the machine with new chips as the OMA chips probably won't work with the OMC. I think that would be a more difficult upgrad than the retrofit with a LinuxCNC system. However I do appreciate the feedback.

Fordav11,

I understand what you are saying. Those are good points. And those are points that are weighing on the decision. I don't have an urgent need for the machine. I actually don't even have the permanent home finished for the machine. I will move if from my garage to my shop later this year once the floor and insulation are installed.

I do have time and I am nearly 100% positive that I can make the retrofit work and probably in relatively short order. I plan on reusing most of the cabling and just making adapters to use at the boards to minimize rewiring and connector fabrication.

I am really disappointed in the inability to drip feed the OMA. This is another major reason for me to retrofit.

I have nearly decided that I will retrofit. I just need to iron out a couple of details on transformers for the servo drives and If get that worked out then I think that I will start ordering parts and planning the board layout for the controls.

Another benefit of the retrofit is that I can sell the good Fanuc and Seimens parts as well as the rotary phase converter to pay for the retrofit components. This will make it a wash cost wise and I get a more recent electronics as well as more memory, more expandability and a system that I can work on because I know exactly how it works.

I may post the parts for sale at a later date. I will probably put them up for sale on Ebay also.

Once again I appreciate the feedback and I have been weighing the options carefully.

To be fair to Fanuc, the 0-series is/was the bottom of the line and cheaper than the others available at the same time (15-series/16-series). when buying new, if the 0-series didn't have something then generally a machine would be purchased (new) with a control capable of fulfilling the requirements.
    For going up to a 0-C you can easily get a list of boards and Fanuc parts numbers from the 0-C Connection Manual (Hardware) and compare it with what you have to see how many boards/parts you will need to buy.
    You can get the Fanuc 0-C Connection Manual (Hardware) here....
    Fanuc 0 Connection Manual Hardware - CNC Manual
    If you are going to retro-fit it you will need this manual anyway.

Fordav11,

I understand that this was not top of the line at the time it was built 27 years ago. I understand that Fanuc is an excellent control system. If I were in a production shop where every minute counted I would replace the Fanuc board with another one to keep the machine running.

Thanks for the link to the connection manual. It shows just how much different the later OM controllers were from the one I have. My controller consists of a single board. I would need 3 or 4 boards to do the same thing with a later version.

More information to read. Might be some important information in there that I can use.

Hi Nitro,

This is a list of the most common GFZ/B-numbers for Fanuc O-series Manuals.
    Maybe there or more and is it not complete.
    I send you the Operator's, Parameter and Connection Manual (Hardware) already in post #23.
    There is also a -- GFZ-61393E-2/02 Series 0 Function Connection Manual.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GFZ-61392EN-1/1 Series 0 Remote Buffer Manual
    GFZ-61392E/03 Series 0 Description Manual
    GFZ-61392EN1 Series 0 / 00 Descriptions Manual (Remote Buffer)

GFZ-61393E/06 Series 0 Hardware Connection Manual
    GFZ-61393E-2/02 Series 0 Function Connection Manual.

GFZ-61394E Series 0 / 00 / 0-Mate Operator's Manual (for Lathe)
    GFZ-61394E/08 Series 0 Operator Manual (Lathe)

GFZ-61395E Series 0 / 00 / 0-Mate Maintenance Manual
    GFZ-61395E/07 Series 0 Maintenance Manual

GFZ-61397E Series 0 / 00 / 0-Mate Operation and Maintenance Handbook

GFZ-61400E/03 Series 0 Parameter Manual (Lathe)

GFZ-61404E Series 0 / 00 / 0-Mate Operator's Manual (for MC)
    GFZ-61404E/08 Series 0 Operator Manual (Mach Center)

GFZ-61410E/03 Series 0 Parameter Manual (Mach Center)

GFZ-62543EN Series 0-TD / 0-MD / 0-GCD / 0-GSD Connection Manual (Hardware)

GFZ-62543EN1 Series 0-TD / 0-MD / 0-GCD / 0-GSD Connection Manual (Function)

GFZ-62544EN Series 0-TD / 0-GSD Operator's Manual

GFZ-62545EN Series 0-TD / 0-MD / 0-GCD / 0-GSD Maintenance Manual

GFZ-62550EN Series 0-TD / 0-GSD Connection Manual (Function)

GFZ-62574EN Series 0-MD / 0-GSD Operator's Manual

GFZ-62580EN Series 0-MD / 0-GSD Parameter Manual

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal.

It can also be a little confusing, Fanuc for most controls, 0 series included, had connecTING manual and a ConnecTION manual, one related to hardware, the other soft setup via par etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroCH3NO2 View Post
    I looked at a used mill today. It has a Fanuc 0M controller. All of the main features of the controller seemed to work we ran a small program that was already on the controller. Did some manual jogging etc.

I was not able to transfer a program to the Fanuc from PC when I looked at the machine. My main question is how large of a GCode file can the Fanuc 0M controller take before I have to drip feed the gcode to the machine?

Also what type of support is there for this controller. What do I do when the controller starts to act up or I have problems with it. Can you repair the controller or how difficult is it to retrofit with easy stepper and mach. Would I have to gut all of the electronics and replace all of the servo drives?
    If your control is an OM -A you cannot drip feed since it has Serial RS232, won't work to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by donferg View Post
    you cannot drip feed since it has Serial RS232, won't work to my knowledge.
    RS232 has always been used for drip feeding?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

hello,
    i am abhishek drolia from india i have a miyano tsv 21 machine which is running on fanuc om series but its atc is not working upon inspection it was found that the 9 series has some problem so i am looking for backup software so that i can restor back the 9 series for my atc to keep running can you help me do mail me back it will be great help.

regards
    [email protected]
    9193two80two3two80

Page 4 of 4 234