586,359 active members*
3,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: Fanuc 0M Gcode file size?

Are the Databits in your PC set the same as they are in the OMA Control?

If not you will not get a transfer

donferg

donferg,

Thanks for your feedback. I think I have the serial set up correctly. I have the parameters on the OMA set up per the first section in Al's attachment OSerial.pdf. Per that document the settings for serial should be 4800 baud, 7bits, Even parity, 2 stop bits. As shown in the first video I have the same settings in the NCNetLite software. Also I am able to transmit data from the OMA to the PC. Just not the other way around.

Hi Nitro,

Do you start and end your programs with %.

%
    O0002 (TEST)
    N010 ------
    N020 ------
    N030 ------
    N040 ------
    N050 ------
    N060 M30
    %

Also try the Xon/Xoff setting and Handshake Hardware and Software Flow control.

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal.

Heavy_Metal,

I do have the % sign at the start and end of the program. I also have the program number on the first line following the % sign.

I am actually trying to transmit a file that was punched out from the CNC to the PC. So it should be in the correct format.

I will try the other flow control options. Do I need to rewire the cable from the 3 wire connection to the 5 wire connection for xon/xoff and handshake hardware?

Hi Nitro,

I'm using the 3 wire cable with software handshake so I don't try the other options, it works fine for me.

check this site;
    CNC DNC Settings for Fanuc OM

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal.

Fanuc uses software handshake by default, it does not use hardware handshake, however it requires to see the H.H. in place, hence the jumpered pins.
    It is capable of receiving 100 bytes of data before the buffer overun, the XON/XOFF control this.
    The data format on the Setting screen is also important, TVON =0 and ISO = 1.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

I have TVON = 0 and ISO = 1.

I have the pins jumpered as shown in the document you posted.

I have tried with the key for program protect on and with program protect off.

I am running out of ideas.

Does the port tester look like it is trying to work but the CNC is not getting the data? I have not used one of these port testers before. I am not sending much data just around 100 bytes.

This is one file that I have tried to send.

%
    O0003;
    G54;
    G01 F10 X1 Y1 Z1;
    M30;
    %

Simple stuff just to see if it works. But I am having no luck.

If you were to set the send prg with no handshake enabled and send a large file >100 chr , if the CNC is receiving it should show a buffer overflow error.
    It could also be the RS232 RX IC.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hi Nitro,

Don't use the [EOB] ; sign at the end of the line when you send from PC to CNC.
    I don't know if you do so.

%
    O0003;
    G54;
    G01 F10 X1 Y1 Z1;
    M30;
    %

just use this,

%
    O0003 (TEST)
    G54
    G01 F10 X1 Y1 Z1
    M30
    %

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal.

Heavy_Metal,

I will try the file without the EOB signs. I thought they were required. I hope that is the issue. I have not tried without the EOB.

Hi Nitro,

In a short flash I saw on your video that your PROGRAM PROTECT key is ON, maybe switch it to OFF !!!!

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal.

Ok,

I have now tried with and without EOB signs in the program. I have tried with Program Protect on and off.

I think it is down to the RS232 receiver chip on the main circuit board. I will have to try to replace it. Maybe put a socket where the chip is so it is easily replaced.

Thanks everyone for your help. let me know if you come up with something else.

I may try Al's test tomorrow where I send a larger file with hardware handshaking on instead of software.

I also found a mechanical issue with the machine where I need to regrind the spindle taper. Should have caught that before I bought it. I will be working on removing the quill and spindle from the head to grind it on the lathe. I will get back to working on this once I get the new RS232 chips and the spindle taper reground.

the port tester isnt really useful unless you send a large file because it would be done before you get chance to watch it.
    use the same settings and cable but send a larger file. an easy way to make a larger file is just copy and paste the same program (NOT including % and O0003 and M30 and %) 20 times to make the file larger then save it. then send that and watch the TX/RX leds. both of them should flash on/off multiple times as the data is sent and received.
    if they don't it will confirm you have a hardware fault at the CNC end.

fordav11,

I did exactly what you said. Only the RX leds flashed. The TX leds did not flash. I assume that the CNC is not seeing the incoming data and therefore is not sending the software handshakes to temporarily stop the data flow.

Heavy_Metal,

Your PM inbox is full.

ok so you probably have hardware fault on CNC. you need to get that repaired.....

So frustrated at this point. I replaced the rs232 chips. And I still have the same problem. I can send data from the CNC to the PC but I cannot send data from the PC to the CNC. I checked the continuity to the recieve chip. I have VCC, Ground and signal from the port to the input pin on the chip. I tried two different chips with no luck with either one. It appears to be an issue somewhere else on the board or something in the parameters somewhere that we have not found.

Even if I get the communications to work I won't be able to use DNC on this machine since it is an OMA. Is that correct?

I am really considering converting the machine to LinuxCNC using Pico Systems boards and servo drivers. It does not look like I am going to get the Fanuc stuff to work without dumping some serious money into it. Then it will still only be able to run small files, be limited to 3 axis, and not be able to be upgraded to an automatic tool change system in the future.

Likely fault somewhere else. There's more to transfer than a couple of chips. You can try to buy a board on ebay they are sometimes very cheap.
    Otherwise Fanuc repairs can get expensive. if LinuxCNC can do what you want and is cheaper then just go for that. however it could be a faster fix to buy a working board on ebay, pull the old one and just slot it in. I could maybe advise further board repairs but in this case need to know the Fanuc part# of your RS232 board?

fordav11,

The board number for the main circuit board is A16B-1010-0150 / 07A.

On the backup plate behind the main circuit board is another Fanuc data plate that says the following
    Fanuc OM-Model A
    Type: A02B-0083-B501
    NO. 8070423 1988-07

I am sure there is a fault somewhere else.

Due to a crappy design on the enclosure metal chips from the mill were able to infiltrate the cabinet and drop onto the board. When I got it home I cleaned the board removing any metal chips that I could see. There may be a stray piece still on the board somewhere causing the issue but I can't see any left using a magnifying glass.

How many chips are in the line for the serial communication?

Quote Originally Posted by NitroCH3NO2 View Post
    How many chips are in the line for the serial communication?
    Look for a possible 1489 14pin receiver IC, it may have letters precede the 1489
    Many manuf still make them.
    If you change it, put a 14p socket in first.
    1488 is the transmitter.
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 3 of 4 1234