586,108 active members*
3,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

Ultimate 3D Guitar Model Thread

there are many threads of people looking for different guitars here and there.. lets assemble the data we have, the models we can get, and lets build a library here in this forum to freely distribute usable 3D models to those who want it...

i have the schematics for a variety of guitars... jackson kelly, rhoads V, gibson les paul (topographical representation of the carved top), the flying V, SG, fender strat, telecaster, ibanez gem and RG series, ESP F series, BC rich beast and warlock, and a few others.. if anyone is willing to take on one of these projects, and post the final product here.. let me know and ill post all the data i have on a specific model, and feel free to list the data you have here as well...

if anyone has digitization equipment, it would be a great way to get hard to reproduce data such as the carved top of various guitar models

im not looking for any donations, and im looking to work with people who are willing to keep this completely free to the people...

projects im working on now is the les paul, though with my data, im still stuck on this one since solidworks doesnt seem to want to do the things i want it to do.. i have rhino, but i havent a clue how to use it properly

im also working on the fender stratocaster body, neck thru model, with no heel, which once i get this heel contour right, should be available in single pickup, and dual humbucker back and front routed configurations

feel free to make requests, or let us know about your own modeling projects

3d guitar models

hi justin, this is all a good idea, i am keen to help too. i am currently working on a 50'2 strat. i have the body 99% modelled and the neck already has the trussrod cavity in it, just still trying to figure out how to make the neck contours. i model in solidworks 2009 so can upload files in most formats. i am working off some fender strat blue prints i found online so the models i make are very accurate.

should i upload my models in their current state or do you reckon i should rather wait till complete? i am also modeling a fender precision bass which i am going to make for my daughter. all my models are 1:1 scale and will gladly give away any models i have, all in the name of music!
    regards marc

I have some as well. I think that the .dxf format will be the best to post as. I started to work on the strat myself from a blueprint I got hold of. I will post a .jpeg of the blueprint for you to play with. If someone has the .dxf of the strat complete, I could sure use it. It has been hard to find the time to complete this and I would like to get it done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 62 strat blueprint.jpg  

Great idea. I have been trying to model the carved top of a Les Paul using Alibre Design, and have not been successful. I don't know if it is a limitation of the software or my abilities with the software. I have a nearly complete modified Strat type model in Alibre Design that I will post when completed.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjr View Post
    I have some as well. I think that the .dxf format will be the best to post as. I started to work on the strat myself from a blueprint I got hold of. I will post a .jpeg of the blueprint for you to play with. If someone has the .dxf of the strat complete, I could sure use it. It has been hard to find the time to complete this and I would like to get it done.
    hi mitch, i have a strat body, are you sure you dont rather want an iges model? let me know and i will post it for you

Can you post them both ? i would like to see how mine alligns up with yours in the .dxf format.

DXF is the lowest common denominator. It's always best to keep it as close to the original format. If you drew it in Solidworks, I would rather see the Solidworks models. If your Cad/Cam system cant read the Sworks file I would try outputting it in a Parasolid V12 format. Almost any serious Cad system should be able to handle that. Then IGES. DXF is a last resort.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

I got SolidWorks, but I was working this out in ArtCam.

Guitar plans

Hello,

This is my first post. I'm a total beginner to both CNC and guitar building, although years ago I worked on my own instruments at a guitar shop where I taught. I've bought a CNC router for the purpose of building electric guitars. I have BobCAD/CAM software for 2D (2.5D), and recently ordered MOI, which I understand is really easy to use for 3D, easier than BobCAD's own 3D software, and the price is good, too. I'd be very interested in plans for Strat, Tele, and LP. I am still getting my garage set up to work in, and I'm just starting learning the software, although I was able to go to a 3 day class in it a couple of weeks ago, so with a little concentrated study I should be able to get started. Plans would facilitate some practice cutting, however; I had thought I was going to have to draw everything myself, and for custom designs, of course I still will. To get going on everything, though, if I had some plans for existing instruments, that would be great. Not sure what you're asking for in return- pics of finished projects? Or plans of other instruments? I'd be happy to reciprocate, although it'll take me a while- I've already had this router for quite a while and have not even turned it on yet, I've had so many other projects. But I'm creeping up on it, getting to the threshold where I will be working finally.

James

3D Guitar

Hello everyone!

I just purchased my machine a few weeks ago and guitars is the reason why! My problem is I'm very new to this and still trying to get over the learning curve with my machine.

I did find a bunch of files of guitar bodies, necks and head shapes while searching around and down loaded them to try and figure out at some later point in time. They are in various formats and I don't know much about them and can not speak for the quality/accuracy. It would be super if once I get up to speed using my machine I could get accurate files that I know have been used before.

I'm still looking for a good getting started guide. Please someone with experience take a look at what I've acquired and tell me what I've got!

P.S. I can't seem to upload the attachment to the forum (maybe it's too big?). So I have uploaded it to my website for download. So I will take a moment to shamelessly promote my site where I have parts... I think something you guys (and girls) will also find interesting. Please use the link below.

http://www.marigny-music.com/guitar_cnc.zip

to marcerus.. for neck contours i do a cross section view with whatever data i have.. usually nut width, thickness from top to back of the neck at the nut sometimes 3rd fret, and the 12th fret, so i measure where those frets would be, draw a horizontal line across the center line of how wide the fret is, a perpendicular line of how thick the neck is at that point.. draw an arc from point to point reaching that neck depth line, and then connect the center of all the arcs, extending that towards the body.. and then loft those profiles... so basically use what data you have to fill in what you dont have, to draw cross sections so you know the cross section contour at the nut and body end before it begins to blend in with the heel..

i agree with the dxf/dwg comment, most 3d cad and modeling programs will work with autocad formats without any problems, but not neccessarily vice versa.. i have a completed strat body, though you may want to doubel check the neck pocket to be 100% sure its accurate.. ill post that in a bit in dwg format

heres the strat body, i didnt make this, so i wont take credit, and i will give credit to whoever did because im using this as the basis for my neck thru, two humbucker super strat design... it was an iges, but i used rhino to convert it to dwg (about the only thing i can do on rhino since im not very skilled with it)

my most sought after.. the one body no matter how hard ive looked i just cant get the schematics of.. the king V, so if anyone has factory accurate schematics, or could digitize a king V body, that would really make me happy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Modeling hand carved parts

Hey guys, there is a tool that showed in the Feb. issue of Modern Machine Shop you may find helpful http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/3d...rototypes.aspx
    If anyone want to see some images posted of guitar parts reverse modeled just let me know and I will get them up. The NextEngine software solution called RapidWorks allows import of a .rwl into SolidWorks for a semi-automated process to create an SLDPRT file with full feature tree.

that would be great if you could get a sldprt file of a les pauls carved top, or other hard to replicate data (like heels on neck thrus).. id be able to convert the sldprt to dwg or dxf

to mitchjr. would you be able to post a full size image of that schematic? id like to test this vs the 3d model i found and posted for accuracy of the model

heres what i have so far on the les paul.. its in sldprt format, if anyone can convert it to dwg or rhino without losing the line data, then we should post that one.. anyway, heres what i have..

and to mitchjr, can you post a full size image of that schematic? id like to compare it to the model i posted earlier

jetleg jazzmans zip file posted has all the same schematics i do.. so i wont bother posting what i have since he seems to have been to all the same places i have to get the data... ive done all i can with the les paul, im hoping someone can take over, and make the right top with what ive posted.. and with that being said, im going to begin working on a flying V
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am in to help with this but I did note that the first post to this is 2 years old. I drew plans of a Strat Telecaster body in Solidworks. Anybody have a neck that will work with this? Let me know and I will send what I have for the body

Steve

Great idea!

Hi!
    I will definitely be following this thread, and I promise to upload my own designs as they become available. I had no intention of going down the CNC route, but I happened to be given a Gilson 215 liquid handler robot (effectively a _perfect_ machine to convert into a 3-axis CNC router for guitars.)

Regardless, I already share my plans with Creative Commons Share-and-share Alike licensing. I am now working on getting my 2D Adobe Illustrator shape into Rhino 3D. If anyone can assist me in teaching me how to work out small "kinks" in my drawings and perfecting the shape before extruding it, I would be very grateful.

Feel free to check out my site: http://guitarworks.thestrandbergs.com/ I have designed and am selling hardware (that is CNC machined, but not by myself) already.

Cheers,
    Ola

Hey I have surfaces for a LP and a PRS custom....they are my own interpretations...but I think they look good. Both are modeled in Mastercam.

Here are pics of finished guitars I built from these files.

its hard to see the carve on my LP top...but it's a little more extreme than a stock LP.

Here are links to these files:

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/82884/59LP.IGS

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/82884/PRSSURF.IGS

I have neck files for both as well.

Jer7440
    i just want you to know you totally made my afternoon!!!! That is a beautiful custom clone!!!! Would you please post the neck to this guitar preferably 24 fret version? I have a few quick questions. Did you cnc this?? I imported it into solidworks and it appears that this is just the top layer like the maple part on a Custom 24 how thick is the bottom half so I can accurately model it? And is there an easy way for you to flip it so that I can make a left hand version?? If not I think I have enough skills to do it in solidworks. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 5 123