586,350 active members*
3,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to get more accuracy

Ok guys, i really need help with this. Hope some more experienced could give me some advises what to do to get more accuracy with my machine. Here i am sending you a picture from the tests i did.CIRCLES -(1) lower left 10.47-10.70,(2) lower right 10.50-10.60 ,(3)center 9.76-10.90,(4) upper left 10.25-10.40,(5) upper right 10.12-10.70
    Every next circle is deeper from the previous one 1-st one 5.4mm-last one gets up to 9.5mm(program is 5mm depth for all cirles, i check my table is parallel )
    SQUARES:
    1-st square (lower left corner) x=10.35 , y=10.39
    2-nd square(lower right corner) x=10.38, y=10.40
    3-th square (center) x=10.50, ( this square doesn look like square like the 1-st and the 2-nd one, x=10.50 lower and upper side of the square, Y-left=9.97, Y-right =10.43)
    4-th square(upper left corner) x=10.49, Y-left =9.97, Y-right=10.50
    5-th square(upper right) i didnt make it coz the tool went too deep in the wood and i was afraid not to broke the tool, but i ques the results would be similar to the 4-th and 5-th.

Re: How to get more accuracy

IMO, your machine is probably "tilted", have you checked that all axes are straight & square to each other and to the table?
    Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Have to agree with hub on that one. I think it is hard to obtain more accuracy with that machine displayed on the pics. You can try rectifying your machine using dial gauge and "something you are apsolutely sure its rectangular"...

If those differences are in mm, then you've done better than fine with that machine. Square is definitely looking off and that's a matter of a good reference tool, adjustments and a little luck.

Might be backlash too, lots of threads on that.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Although you posted this in the Taig mills section, the machine you've got is not a Taig, and doesn't seem to have any Taig parts in it. The reason your parts aren't accurate, as has been pointed out, is because it isn't rigid enough to hold the bit steady against cutting forces. When you push the bit into the material, it's deflecting a lot, due to the fact that the whole Z axis assembly is mounted on those spaghetti-like unsupported rods, which flex considerably when stressed. The best thing you could do to increase the accuracy of your parts would be to rebuild the gantry, using something like a rectangular aluminum extrusion between the uprights, and mounting the Z axis to it on a pair of supported rails.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Test gantry for movement by grabbing one side of the gantry and try pushing it. Also try pushing the router or bit. If you have any movement you will have problems.