586,540 active members*
3,001 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

converting a round column

I know not the best candidate, but I got one so....Not afraid to do any mechanical/machine work needed, but the electronics make me shiver =8^).
    Prefer to do most myself so not really interested in a kit, per say. Does any of the software have backlash compensation, should I decide to leave the lead screws alone for awhile?
    Thanks in advance.
    Paul in OKC

Paul,
    I have converted a round column (RF 31), and can highly recommend AGAINST retaining the original lead screws! The reason I say this is that is what I did and in a matter of just a few weeks running it under power like that, simply wore out the screws (well actually the brass nuts). When I got my ballscrews in, I took the lead screw and nut (X axis) and could actually "walk" the nut down the screw without turning anything

The measured backlash towards the end or the running of the original leadscrews got up to 0.250" (no thats not a typo) and was a combination of the wear in the screw and the fact that I could not tighten the attachment bolts tight enough to keep the nut (again the X axis) from moving. When I made the new holder for the ballnut, I pinned it to the saddle. Haven't had a problem with that in a couple of years now:wave:

You can see how I did several things on my web site which is noted in the tag line.

Also, I have a drawing file that I used to make the parts. It is more like a series of sketches but has a lot of information in it. Let me know if you would like a copy.

Also to answer your question about backlash compensation, I advise against relying on that. If you get into a situation where you are doing any climb milling, you run the very real risk of tearing something up! For example, doing any G02/03 cutting can easily put you into that situation. Also, your circles will NOT be round if you have any appreciable backlash (don't ask how I know:nono:

Bubba
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Thanks, Bubba. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I have looked at your web site before at your dro stuff. PM sent.
    Thanks.

PM replied to!
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)