586,596 active members*
3,001 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynomotion/Kflop/Kanalog > tool offset change through c-programs and DRO update

tool offset change through c-programs and DRO update

Hi Tom

I just noticed one more thing...

I wrote a c- program to adjust tool offset of the active tool on my lathe through MSG Boxes. The reason for this is that when you cut a diameter and you notice that the diameter is off by, let's say a value of x you want to adjust the tool offset by the value of x - so it cuts the intended diameter next time.

After changing the tool offset in the tool table with a C-program, the DRO's do not update to the new offset. They get applied only if I do a tool change to some other tool and back. I think it would be very handy if the DRO's would reflect a change in tool offset immediately. I only tested it with the x-value so far.

Also I noticed if that a longer string in the MSG Box does not display fully and can get cut of. If my memory serves me right the same string was displayed at an earlier version (I am using 4.33k). But I am not sure.

Regards

Leo

Re: tool offset change through c-programs and DRO update

Hi Tom

I can give you some more observations about this:
    This morning when I came back to KmotionCNC it was working as it should!

However, after editing the tool table manually it is not updating anymore from c-programs.

Further I can observe this:

My test setup is:
    I am positioned at the machine coordinates of X=0.0 z=0.0
    G54 no offsets, Tool No1 X offset=4.0 Z offset=0

I close KmotionCNC and reopen it, it displays the DRO values X0.00 Z=0.00.
    Upon opening KmotionCNC Tool No1 is selected as default. If I hoover over the Tool ID I can see the correct offsets (x=4.0, Z=0), but they are not applied to the DRO.

If I change the tool manually to some other tool and back, the offsets get applied and the DRO displays correctly X=4.0 Z=0.

I hope this helps.

Leo

Re: tool offset change through c-programs and DRO update

I am sorry to have to ask for your advice again, Tom, but my search did not lead to any results.

The last thing I am trying to setup on my lathe is CSS. I am following your example c-program. The questions I that came up:

- Your example is in in/sec. What happens to the UserData value if KmotionCNC is used in metric? Is anything converted or are the values in inch?

- To get to the radius you pull impulses from UserData and calculate inches. Is there any technical reason not to get DRO-values with GetDROs() instead?

- My first thread is looping with the MPG loop, so I need to start a second thread to loop for CSS, I guess. I would like to do it from the first thread but the only way I can think of is to precompile and predownload it and then start it from the first thread with ThreadStart(). Do you have a better idea for this situation? I would prefer to download it from the pc as you normally recommend but I have not found a way to do it with c-programs.

Regards

Leo