586,655 active members*
3,042 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Moving or Selling My 1100....

Guys, need some opinions and advice. I'm relocating to a much larger shop and am contemplating selling my 1100 rather than move it. I have a 36" door which I was able to navigate it into, but I'm not sure I want to deal with disassembly and negotiating it through the door. I have a Haas VF2 on order for my new shop so I'm not sure if I should keep the 1100 for a second ops machine or just sell it. Riggers are quoting 2500 to pull it out of my shop (once I disassemble) and move it across town. I have an overhead at my new place obviously. What am I looking at in used value? It is a 2012 Series III with atc, pdb, 80/20 enclosure, 6" 4th axis, tosa tool plate, and 35 or so tormach tool holders. I'm in Indianapolis. Is $2500 to rig it sound right? I got it in with only one guy to help and a shop crane in 3 hours.

Oh and I don't want to hear from Steve about how his Tormach is just as good as a Haas... That's not what I'm asking.

Re: Moving or Selling My 1100....

If you can move it in in 3 hours, you could move it out in 3 hours. Doing it yourself would amount to 833.00 per hour for your time. If your new Haas is earning you more than that, then pay the riggers. If you sell it used, you are still gonna have to get it out of your shop somehow.

I would be a little bit leery of saying: "Selling Tormach cheap, you just have to get it out of my shop". Keep in mind that others may not care about keeping your old shop / house in as good of condition as you would. I'm sure if Murphy and his law had anything to say, they would crash into every wall, every corner and ever door frame on the way out.

Not saying this was your intention, but in case it was floating around in the back of your mind with respect to selling your machine.

Honestly, I would call a few buddies, buy a 6 pack for them and take your time.

If you want to pursue the selling route, let me know. I am in Indy as well...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Are the riggers planning to roll it over on a bed of rose petals? Sounds to me like they don't want the job.

You should be able to get a pretty good price if you sell it. Then with the proceeds you could fund a SlantPro for the new shop...

bob

Rigging seems like it should be $1200 or less. Machine would likely go for $10-12K if its in great shape for the right buyer.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

That's WAY to much for rigging. Having my TM2P shipped and delivered wasn't that much. $1700 iirc

Having a second machine is handy, but honestly once I had transferred everything over to the HAAS there wasn't much I wanted to run on the Tormach and have its surface finish, speed, reduced depth of cut, modified speeds, and babysitting (though you have a tool changer...)

On the flip side: do you use your 4th axis? Did you already buy one for the HAAS? May be handy to have around since selling the Tormach will barely pay for a (new) 4th axis & the option for the HAAS.

For me I kept the Tormach for a year after moving to a bigger shop and buying a HAAS. If the HAAS was busy 70 hours every week I would still have sold the Tormach and bought another HAAS. Going back and forth programming wise is a PITA. Prove a prototype on the Tormach the to move it to the HAAS for production you have to pretty much change every single operation and re-proof it again.

The Tormach is quicker for surfacing and simple MDI and such, but it's hard to keep two machines busy. My Tormach finally left 2 weeks ago. I loved that machine and it paid for my HAAS I but it's pretty hard to run 2 by myself without a lot of long jobs some of which have to make since to run on the Tormach vs haas

I already have a Slant Pro. I The Slant Pro is sitting in my garage awaiting the move. The PCNC's not at my house, it's in a shop, but no overhead. My other manual lathes, etc will easily go through the door.

I think the riggers want to pass on the job. I'm running up on a drop dead date for a move so I have to decide fairly soon though!

Is there a ledge or something at the door way or are there steps? I've moved my 1100 series II through 36" and 39" doorways when I was leaving CO. Just popped it off the stand and took off the X and Y steppers so I could do the "Machine Dance" better. Ratchet strapped it on to a beefed up mover's dolly and then myself and one other person rolled it out the door. I had a 6 foot section of black pipe and some UHMW blocks to use as levers to make the hop over the threshold. It took some rotation and a wee bit of leaning, but it went. Moving any machinery is never fun, but unless you really don't need the machine anymore taking a depreciation hit on the sale wouldn't look that appealing to me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and stay safe! Many a man has been broken by machine moving day.

Quote Originally Posted by menzzer37 View Post
    I already have a Slant Pro. I The Slant Pro is sitting in my garage awaiting the move. The PCNC's not at my house, it's in a shop, but no overhead. My other manual lathes, etc will easily go through the door.

I think the riggers want to pass on the job. I'm running up on a drop dead date for a move so I have to decide fairly soon though!
    It sounds like your rigger doesn't want the job so he bid it like that to scare you away. That's working isn't it,

Since you're having the Haas delivered to your new shop, I would go ahead and get that set up and running, then take a few evenings to take the Tormach apart and move it yourself. If it takes you 2 weeks, that's $1,250.00 per week you've saved.

I honestly think you'll regret selling your Tormach. Yes, it's slow, but it's a great second op machine, or if you get small orders of small parts that you don't want to tie up your Haas with. And believe me, that will happen.

I had a Haas TM1 in my shop and I really liked it, and the Haas control is so user friendly. I have been running and programming CNC's for 35 years and the only control I liked better than the Haas was a MAZAK, and I have run Fanuc, FADAL, Centurion, Charnoa, Mach and probably some others I can't remember and out of all those, I liked the Haas best.

Keep your Tormach, You won't regret it.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Congratulations on the new haas.
    I looked at a used tormach once ant riggers quoted me $2500 to bring it half way a across the country.
    If you don't mind me asking, how much is a new vf-2?
    Thanks

Guys, need some opinions and advice. I'm relocating to a much larger shop and am contemplating selling my 1100 rather than move it. I have a 36" door which I was able to navigate it into, but I'm not sure I want to deal with disassembly and negotiating it through the door. I have a Haas VF2 on order for my new shop so I'm not sure if I should keep the 1100 for a second ops machine or just sell it. Riggers are quoting 2500 to pull it out of my shop (once I disassemble) and move it across town. I have an overhead at my new place obviously. What am I looking at in used value? It is a 2012 Series III with atc, pdb, 80/20 enclosure, 6" 4th axis, tosa tool plate, and 35 or so tormach tool holders. I'm in Indianapolis. Is $2500 to rig it sound right? I got it in with only one guy to help and a shop crane in 3 hours.

Oh and I don't want to hear from Steve about how his Tormach is just as good as a Haas... That's not what I'm asking.

It all depends on options. Base price is $53k, but there is 10% off right now. I have 4th axis, 10k spindle, programmable coolant, etc.

If you decide to sell your Tormach would you be worried about the buyer damaging something while removing it from the old shop? If not, I would be willing to bet that someone would be more than happy to come do the legwork to get it moved out.

Thanks.
    I love the 4th axis capabilities of my tormach but I am still working on getting the ATC to reliably work for me.
    I am sure the haas will put you in another league.

It all depends on options. Base price is $53k, but there is 10% off right now. I have 4th axis, 10k spindle, programmable coolant, etc.

FWIW, I had an estimate of $600 from local riggers to move a Slant Bed Lathe from my garage into my basement shop, providing the lathe was taking apart into manageable components. Payment was to be made in cash and the rigging company manager that dropped by for the estimate indicated that it was a job for 4 big guys. This is in the west suburban Chicago area and the rigging company is professional. I'd think that similar rates would apply to the Indianapolis area. There must be several riggers in the area, did you get more than one quote?

Mike

Man, $2500??? For that amount of money I expect these guys to give me the spectacle of watching them move my machine with their teeth!

Here is what I did when I needed to move my second PCNC1100. Went into Craigslist and wrote a message specifying that I needed somebody to move a 2000 pound piece of equipment. You will get so many emails, the Internet will come to a crawl.

Some emails will be from desperate fools in need of money who will try to convince you they are Hulk's cousin and can move the machine with a bicycle. Some others are from Rockefellerians who think you have a Dollarensis-Majestus tree in need of trimming.

And then there will be one guy with a truck and a hefty trailer, a lifter and will do it for $350. BAM!!! Ten minutes of moving the machine and VOILA, IN AND OUT! At the end I gave them a $50 tip so it all came to some of the best spent $400 in my life!

I would keep the machine. I bet there will be plenty of times where you will want to face something or make a hole here and there while the HAAS is producing.
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

The kicker is for $2500...they want me to take it off the stand and move it to the door. They will only move it through the door and 3 miles down the road for $2500...

The kicker is for $2500...they want me to take it off the stand and move it to the door. They will only move it through the door and 3 miles down the road for $2500...
    (hysterical laughter)

See if you can get some of whatever it is they're smoking. It's good stuff.... And, please, publish the name of the company (if it's not just a guy and a truck). Inter-galactic level avariciousness should be recognized.

I saw you listed it on Ebay, hopefully you can get someone near by to purchase it. I thought about it but you are about 900 miles away.

I have a simple philosophy when it come to tools...
    five minutes* after you sell/get rid of any tool, you end up finding the perfect use for it and wishing you never got rid of it... so just don't... ever...
    *note: fine minutes is not a literal/chronological 5 minutes, it is more a figurative or feeling... could be 5 seconds or 5 years... but it just "feels" like 5 minutes...

now I don't necessarily disagree with WOTDesigns that re-programing a part for mass production on the HAAS could be a pain... and I can see where he is coming from wanting 2 HAAS's... but HAAS's aren't super cheap, and the Tormach is essentially free (ie you already have it... presumably it is paid for..)

Page 1 of 2 12