Hi everyone,
I bought this mill last year, and have not had a chance to use it. I plugged it in when I got it and ran through the gears to make sure it worked. It has been unused in a wooden shed until now. I recently got access to a concrete floor garage and moved the mill in. I wired for 220, and again ran through the gears, no problem.
The drill chuck adapter was installed in the spindle when I got it with the chuck in the box. In this time the chuck mounting taper rusted. I used an emery strip to dress this with the mill running in low range and the fastest gear. Maybe two minutes of this and the motor smoked like it was on fire! I immediately turned it off and unplugged it. I removed the cap covers and the motor terminal cover.
My first thought was maybe it was wired for 120, but the diagram is for reversing, not voltage change, so I am baffled.
Is it normal for the new motor to burn off varnish from the windings?
I plugged it back in and tested forward and reverse for just a few seconds. It works as it always did, but I am afraid to run it.
Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

New CNC Mill Conversion

BTW, I emailed all this to Charter Oaks a few minutes ago. They have not had time to respond.