So I called Tormach on Friday and did a bit of trouble shooting with John in Tech, but I had to check the ball screw BL with a dial test indicator and when i called back I missed them by 2 mins at 5pm So Ill bring it hear for some help and Ill call them Monday as well.

Here is the deal. Went to adjust the gibbs on my older machine (1.5 years) series 3 though. Noticed I was getting excessive backlash from my Y axis. Could not get the gibbs adjusted to a point where I could get any better than .003 I then noticed if I pull or push on the table with about 30lb pressure y+ or Y- I can get the table to move .007-.008 and stay there. (machine is on and stepper powered up so I'm not back feeding it)

I pulled the Y axis gib and still get the same readings.

1. Tried adjusting the Gibbs again, no luck.
2. Pulled the way covers and checked the ball screw nut bolts all where tight
3. Pulled Y axis stepper and coupler (all screws where tight)
4. verified all ways and screws were getting oil

I think the ball screw nut is bad? I can turn the screw by hand and there is slack before you can feel the nut engage the screw. About 1/16th turn before the table will move in either direction.

I'm sad about this, as I have only been running it for 1.5 years now (not long) largest cutter is 1/4". and I'm really nice to the machine, lots of oil and love. Machine has been run on average 3-4 days a week for 4-6hrs a day. I have a 1983 bridgeport anilam CNC retro fit with original ball screws on it that has less than .0004 backlash!!! 30 years of production use at a cereal factory!!!

Anybody have any thoughts on this? ill be intermittent on here tomorrow to check on this thread.
God bless!