586,761 active members*
7,916 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face Just bought a used Desktop Mini Mill

I just bought a used SpectraLight desktop CNC mill made by the Light Machine Corp from Washington State surplus. It has a computer, power supply/controller, a mini mill and connecting cables. There are no manuals and I believe the computer drive has been wiped. The machine is probable about 10 years old and was previously owned by Washington State University (WSU). I want to use it so I can learn G-Code, Cad-cam and milling processes and I would like to get it up and running for hobby & maker purposes. Does anyone out there own one of these things or have an owners and operators manual? I will be working primarily with plastics, non ferrous metals, and wood.

Rob

Re: Just bought a used Desktop Mini Mill

Have not seen any option (for a reasonable price...), to just plug and play...
    I have taken several machines like this and modified the LPT connection for use with Mach3.
    Is not too difficult. They are all simple stepper rigs. Is not hard to figure out the 4 wires that run to each driver (4 to the motors, 4 from the control)
    1 wire is +volts (power to the driver)
    1 wire is common or -voltage
    1 wire is direction
    1 wire is step

If you use the 5v supply, you can touch the step terminal and hear the motor "step" with each touch. DO NOT KEEP IN CONTACT, only touch. The step works by pulse, not constant voltage...
    You will need to use an older computer. Newer computers use 3V on the LPT and this is not enough to effectively run the electronics on these machines. You need the 5V! Most any computer from Win98 era, or older, will work just fine.

Your only other option is to rip out the original drivers and install newer (documented) drivers... I'm sure the motors and power supply are just fine. It is the control interface you need...
    Here are two posts that will help in other ways...
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...fit-sorta.html
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...27707-cnc.html

Thanks for the information. My brother and I will be pulling the cover off the controller tomorrow to see what we have. I have some friends in our local Maker group the can also help out. will post an update some time this weekend.

Agree, simple enough to just upgrade to newer hardware and software. Most people pick this up in a similar state as you, missing the PC software, or the PC ISA or PCI interface card. But it sounds like you are only missing software, I'm guessing vintage wise you would need Windows 95 and Spectralight's/Intellitek PC control. Well if you can find or have an old copy of MS 95, then you can try here Intelitekdownloads.com to find your software and manuals for your machine. At least take it for a spin before shelling out money.