586,133 active members*
2,784 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

odd non stable jogging

here is what lead up to this problem. i just replaced a first gen baord with a second gen after the old one went bad. i hooked it all up and after a very small amount of tinkering it all works. i can jog all 4 axis (foamcuttter) in both directions successfully. i could call for moves in the MDI box and all was fine.
    I even ran a cnc program i used to run with the old board and all was perfect. somewhere after this, i lost ability to jog z the counter does nothing besides flicker and sometimes increas or decrease .0001 the others work fine. i can move z with the command line SOMETIMES but sometimes instead of z. A will move instead in a runaway sort of action. or sometimes a call for y will move a. sometimes g0 z-1 will cause a to runaway and z to move very slowly in comparison. this particular thing seems to only happen when the counter is NOT zero'd out. it will still run a file just fine. i dont understand what can be causing this, i have read that a jog command and g code command to move come from different places. i dont understand what would cause the counter to remain zero if its not a software problem. by the time you read this ill probably be sitting in a corner fingerpainting, eating marshmallows and talking to bugs.

thanks for any and all help.

more details

it seems that the z axis will only jog when set to a specific jog distance like .01 or .25 it will not jog if set to slow med or fast jog. the others will jog on any setting. hmm im wondering if the machine size is set incorrectly or something,,, ahh yes z was set to zero in the machine size box. maybe this will cure all problems
    ill add more later

Yes, please keep us posted on your progress. I have two machines on Desk CNC and frankley the only problems that I've had were created by me.. as in wrong limits, improper accel curves and some other newbie mistakes.

Hope you are able to solve the problem..simpley.

Adobe (old as dirt )

changing the machine size seems to have fixed the z jog problem and i had hoped the other oddities as well, but out of the blue I entered g0 z-10 into the mdi box and A began to move at about a third of the speed of Z when nothing at all was requesting it. I have slaving turned off, I cant find any other settings that should cause that, especially intermittently. Has V 2.0.1.79 proved to be stable or should I try an older build.

thanks

The real Guru of Desk CNC is Fred Smith @ [email protected], (E mail) or Ph # 248-486-3600..He is a busy person, but has always been able to answer any questions on Desk CNC. Wish I could wave a magic wand on this , but I've just never had another axis "creep" or activate when it should not have.
    Like most things , it is probley real simple, just some small mistake in the set up or wiring.(been there , done that..)

Adobe (old as dirt)

What really puzzles me about it that it only occurs wnen there are numbers on the counter. if i zero it out it works perfectly. i find it hard to believe its anything other than software due to that. Im going to try some different combinations of numbers on the counter and see if i cant find any that noticably different in some way. No one out there has seen anything like that??

the fix for this was to set the A axis to rotary and not linear. not sure why, my axis is linear. mdi line works well now. however i have lost the cool dual trace display that shows both sides of the machine at the same time. tried posting on imserv but my questions dont even get posted till after i find the solution usually the hard way. how long does it take a post to be "moderated"?