587,051 active members*
3,858 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 17 910111213
    Thanks, Tom. That answered my question. I wasn't sure if Sheetcam's cut height was added to the dynatorch THC readings throughout the cut somehow.

Hand Torch

Any body got a Thermal Dynamics hand torch for a Cutmaster 151 they want to get rid of?

Also can I get an extension cable for my 25 foot cable.. Greg from DT i know your out there...?
    My torch is behind the table on the floor and I want to put it at the end so I can hook a hand torch with a long torch connector to so I can use it in my shop.
    MetalHead - http://www.mechmate.com

Well, on Thursday, a representative from Pattons Inc. came out to my shop to discuss upgrading my air supply equipment.
    To his credit, he didn't try to push a bunch of unwanted and potentially unnecessary equipment on me. I thought that was great. He is going to send me a couple of quotes on an upgraded compressor . . . one of the quotes will be on a refurbished unit. He was very friendly and helpful and made suggestions based on my needs . . . and not based on any commission he might receive.

I also did some cutting on a mailbox project that I've had lined up for a friend of mine for a while now. Swapped over to the finecut tips . . . quite pleased with the cut quality.
    Video

I still need to fine-tune my settings.
    You'll notice in the video that X negative moves have cut-material bouncing across the surface of the sheet. X positive moves tend to push the spray below the cut (as it should). Any ideas on why that's happening?

Second day of cutting had some terrible cuts and the torch was crashing. Checked the tip and nozzle. They looked pretty rough. I guess these finecut tips are only good for about 15-20 minutes of cutting? Is that what y'all are seeing? Because of sheet warpage, I had a couple of pierces happen while the nozzle was touching the sheet. So, I'm sure that didn't help tip longevity.

Do you guys find that you can run nozzles longer than tips? Or do you replace both at the same time?

Another question for you guys:
    What are you using to handle sheet metal in your shop? I mean, how are you moving sheet from your truck to storage and from storage to the table?
    I've got a 4ton, a-frame hoist that is a bit overkill. Plus, I can't get it around the table (what with all the wires, torch leads, exhaust ducting, etc).

I've got a few ideas for carts (or even just buying a hydraulic lift cart). I typically work with 18 ga, 16 ga, and 11/10 ga. So using a single-point magnetic lifter just makes the sheet bend.

Your youtube video was nice.

When you upgrade your compressor have you considered placing it outside away from the dust and making your shop a little quiter?

DT has a smooth running system. Much nicer than my T-Mate.

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaGuy View Post
    Your youtube video was nice.

When you upgrade your compressor have you considered placing it outside away from the dust and making your shop a little quiter?

DT has a smooth running system. Much nicer than my T-Mate.

I had thought about it originally, but . . . since I'm not living near the shop currently (it's in the middle of nowhere in NC . . . and until the house up there is finished, I'm living in GA), the compressor would be more susceptible to theft or vandalism.

And with the downdraft table, the dust has been MUCH better than on my old system without an air handler.

Another question:

Are y'all doing anything to maintain/service the rails and gear-racks?
    Do you clean them with anything? Put mineral oil or gun oil on them?

Gear Rack

I rubbed mine down with trusty ols WD-40. I am sure it will draw dust, but I'll keep em clean.

Torch Fired

Ye Ha I fired my system today. I'll post some shots of the final configs for the guys at DT if they want the shots to add to their Thermal Dynamics section of the install book.

Hats off to Leon. Gave him a call and he called me back and gave me the fix on my voice mail. I was in the shop. I told him what the issue was and he was able to ID the problem and give me the fix.

I know I made the right choice with this system.

More to follow..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02360.jpg   DSC02361.jpg   DSC02372.jpg   DSC02381.jpg  

DSC02385.jpg   DSC02386.jpg  

Thermal Dynamics 151

Here are shots of the wire hook ups for the 151. I ran the cables into the wiring harnes in the system to keep it clean.

Instruction manual was well written here. I had to of course actually read it. I was thinking I was thru and got to checking and had not even read the page for hooking these wires up. I looked in the back of the PC rack and was wondering what that cable was for....RTFM (Read The F$#@ing Manual):withstupi

Anyhoo more shots for the DT folk. Real easy hookup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02389.jpg   DSC02390.jpg   DSC02393.jpg   DSC02394.jpg  

DSC02395.jpg   DSC02399.jpg  

My Incedent for the day

OK. In all the excitement I hooked all the wires up and got the system fired. I had been in the back of my rack and inside the torch. Once I restarted I got no Torch drive ?? WTF I say. Looked around...told my self my wires in the torch were screwed. Opened torch back up...10 screws and a cover... Unhooked everything. Fired the system back up ...still no frigin torch motor...panic(not really) stopped and asked myself how much are these motors???

Anyway I decided to step back and actually trouble shoot...And the pics say it all. I did not have the serial cables screwed in and cause an hour of head scratching...and wasted time opening the torch again...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02398.jpg   DSC02383.jpg  

My first project

OK.....TAAAA DAAAAA..... I'm a genious...(not really).

I think I know how DR Frankenstein felt when he put the juice to his two poster....his created terror and mine created this...

I did the drawing in the WE-CIM trace tool. Not bad for a first grader....

I gota start doing the dial in stuff to get the cuts where I want them. This job actually had no dross.

So does this mean I'm a forni.... uh fabricator??? I still can't weld worth a S$#t.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02401.jpg   DSC02402.jpg  

More Detail on the Thermal Dynamics Cable

I had to toss these up...hack hack... also. They show how I dealt with the cables. Only 4 used so I taped the rest out of the way. I covered them completely so they would not short on anthing. I'm going to Bed....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02375.jpg   DSC02376.jpg  

Hey ya'll out there? Any updates!!! or cool stuff ya'll are cutting. For those of you stuck with your Air Compressor in the shop take a look at a silencer. I got one and it works great. i'll post some pics. It goes on the intake side of the system. That is where most of the noise is created. http://www.nciweb.net/universalsilencers/u5.htm got mine thru Ingersol Rand.

I'll post post a few more pics from the shop today..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ray View Post
    Hey ya'll out there? Any updates!!! or cool stuff ya'll are cutting. For those of you stuck with your Air Compressor in the shop take a look at a silencer. I got one and it works great. i'll post some pics. It goes on the intake side of the system. That is where most of the noise is created. http://www.nciweb.net/universalsilencers/u5.htm got mine thru Ingersol Rand.

I'll post post a few more pics from the shop today..

How much of a noise difference did you notice after adding it to your system? How much did one run for your system? I would love to drop the noise in the shop a little...

Matt

Updates on my table.....

Well let's just say that there are some unresolved issues with Dynatorch and my table. I've had some problems with my table from the date of purchase.

I hope everything works out for the best....stay tuned for the final results!!

Silencer

It was about 130.00 from Ingersol Rand. I don't know if it would be cheaper at this site. U5 - 1 (1 is the inlet DIA in inches) . It had that number on the side so i looked it up and found the link I posted. I makes a big difference. The IR had a small silncer on it already but this add on made it even quiter.

Support

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Ken View Post
    Updates on my table.....

Well let's just say that there are some unresolved issues with Dynatorch and my table. I've had some problems with my table from the date of purchase.

I hope everything works out for the best....stay tuned for the final results!!
    What are they? Have you spoken with Greg or Leon? Both have been Johnny on the spot for me...

How long have you had your table?

Mike

I'll pm you with the details of everything, but basically it was issues with the table & gantry right out of the box. The table was warped from the factory & the gantry pinion gear rubbed on the extruded aluminum up top causing drag. But I've just been told recently that these aren't problems with their machine that I must have done something to it.

Yes I've spoken with Greg...in fact I've spoken with Greg numerous times from the first time I've had trouble with my table, which was one week after I purchased it when he told me to use washers as shims to space out the drop side gear rail to get everything to align. Which didn't really work, it kept the gantry from falling off the table (Like it did the first time I installed the gantry), but it never really moved smoothly.

Who tells their customer to modify the machine after 1 week of purchase? Why not do everything in their power to get the machine back in their hands ASAP to correct the problem from the source?
    These are questions that I can't seem to get answers to.....

I've had my table about a year.....luckily I've got a friend at a machine shop with a Retro Systems Plasma table that I can use b/c there's been times that I've rather drive the 30 miles to use that plasma table than mess with the Dynatorch.

Photos

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Ken View Post
    I'll pm you with the details of everything, but basically it was issues with the table & gantry right out of the box. The table was warped from the factory & the gantry pinion gear rubbed on the extruded aluminum up top causing drag. But I've just been told recently that these aren't problems with their machine that I must have done something to it.

Yes I've spoken with Greg...in fact I've spoken with Greg numerous times from the first time I've had trouble with my table, which was one week after I purchased it when he told me to use washers as shims to space out the drop side gear rail to get everything to align. Which didn't really work, it kept the gantry from falling off the table (Like it did the first time I installed the gantry), but it never really moved smoothly.

Who tells their customer to modify the machine after 1 week of purchase? Why not do everything in their power to get the machine back in their hands ASAP to correct the problem from the source?
    These are questions that I can't seem to get answers to.....

I've had my table about a year.....luckily I've got a friend at a machine shop with a Retro Systems Plasma table that I can use b/c there's been times that I've rather drive the 30 miles to use that plasma table than mess with the Dynatorch.
    Can you post some pics of your rig? How did it fall off the table? I'd love to see pictures of the system and the problem your having. Did you talk to Leon?

TJ,
    Dynatorch does have aluminum shims for the drop side gantry alignment. Luckily I have a mill here and had to make my own. At first the large aluminum plate that holds the drop side gear was rubbing the gear rack, leon said he could ship me one next day air, but I told him i already solved the problem.
    Absilutely no issues since then, i use my table commercially at least 3 times a week, and cut out hundreds of parts with not a single problem since original installation. Dont give up on Dynatorch, they are great guys and the machines work great!!!
    I started this thread so that all of us as Dynatorch owners could share ideas and shortcuts. There are alot of great people in here to help. Hope you get the issue resolved, cause once you do you will be cutting like nobodys business!!!
    Ed-Ryno
    www.rynomobility.com

Page 11 of 17 910111213