586,915 active members*
2,938 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V27 NPT thread milling

V27 NPT thread milling

I was able to do tapered pipe thread milling in V25 but in V27 the Mill 3 axis, strategy "engrave" selection is gone???? In v25 I could draw my NPT with other, spiral and get it figured out. And get good code to machine it. Any of you done pipe threads in V27? How did you do it? I will use a single point cutter. 1/2-14 npt is what I want to do and be able to fudge out the thread as it is in a plastic injection mold so I need the threads a bit oversize. Thanks, rj

Re: V27 NPT thread milling

Mill 3 Axis Wireframe

Hey jrmach, anyone who wants an easy way to do Taper threads should dig out their old V21 or find one for sale
    See attached image
    Just fill in the boxes

Attachment 271952

Typical BobCAD, used to have it but decided to improve the software but still don`t have the threading we had way back in V21
    Enhance software with all sorts of goodies and break the stuff that worked fine

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

don't have V 21
    but
    I have done a couple times in V 23,,pretty easy once you wrap your head around it.

I am shocked they don't have it.It's been asked about since I have used BoB for 6 years.
    I agree with what you say.

I followed what jrmach suggested and was able to get it done with mill 3 axis wireframe. I used "other, spiral" to first draw the taper spiral, add enter ,exit lines, then contour spiral, much like above in v21 just different nomenclature I guess. But never would of figured it out w/o you guys help. And I been using BC versions from DOS v14 I think to v27. Thanks rj

I was told awhile back by BobCAD that taper threads were coming in V26. So they still don't have it even in V27? Another reason not to upgrade for me yet. I've asked about it since V24. I found it easier just to use the Carmex online code generator for doing taper threads. Works fine. I use Carmex thread mills anyway. All I do is copy and paste the code into the BobCAD code.

CARMEX

Advent has one as well and you aren't restricted to using their tooling and it, too is free Custom Manufacturer of Thread & Form Milling Products: Advent Tool & Manufacturing: Lake Bluff, IL

Has Al ever done a tutorial on taper thread milling? I've seen this come up several times and it seems like an ideal candidate for one of Al's excellent After Dark videos,

- Nick