586,655 active members*
2,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tapping Head Question

I'm fixing to buy a machine and I'm trying to get all my tooling nailed down. I have never done anything other than rigid tapping in a CNC vertical, so I am not sure how to use a compression tapping head system. -More specifically I don't know what I need.

Looking at the Tormach site, I see they offer a couple things. The first is the 31807 - Modular Tension/Compression Tapping Head Kit, and then there are the separate heads further down the page. One is labeled 32021 - TTS-ER20 Tension/Compression Tapping Head, and the other is labeled 32020 - TTS-ER16 Tension/Compression Tapping Head.

I am assuming that the last two I listed must have collets to work correctly?

Thanks

Modular let's you quickly change bits in one holder. ER holders allow multiple taps to be loaded in an ATC at the same time. I've only used the ER TC holders, but I believe there is some adjustability on the modular unit. Never needed it. I tapped 4 or 5 thousand holes with the ER20 TC holder without a single broken tap that wasn't extreme operator error

If you have ATC and two different tap sizes on the same part them ER is faster. If you do everything manual you may like the modular design

Re: Tapping Head Question

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    Modular let's you quickly change bits in one holder. ER holders allow multiple taps to be loaded in an ATC at the same time. I've only used the ER TC holders, but I believe there is some adjustability on the modular unit. Never needed it. I tapped 4 or 5 thousand holes with the ER20 TC holder without a single broken tap that wasn't extreme operator error

If you have ATC and two different tap sizes on the same part them ER is faster. If you do everything manual you may like the modular design
    I don't see myself tapping that many holes..and even if then it will only be with a couple different sized taps.

I do rigid tapping on my machine and have 5 taps in tool holders. I did have 6, but eliminated the 6-32 holder and just upsized all those holes to 8-32.
    I use that and 10/24, 1/4-20, 5/16-18 and 3/8-16. Anything larger and I will use a thread mill.
    Lee

I have also only used the ER TC tapping heads, I have both the ER20 and ER16 and tey both work great. the TC tapping head is basically the same thing as rigid tapping but it gives you a little "cushion" to accommodate for the spindle RPM not being exactly matched for the feed. You usually program a little slow on the feed and let the tap pull itself along. I have tapped many holes and have not broken a tap yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
    I don't see myself tapping that many holes..and even if then it will only be with a couple different sized taps.
    I have 3 of the tc units "purchased over a years time" and found having them setup and ready to use along with proper sized drills for your most used fasteners gives you some design freedom.
    Much of the stuff I do requires some sort of custom fixture also with threaded locations to hold material or part in place. I have my cam software with preset routines for the different sizes I use and its just a few clicks and you have threaded holes in your part or custom fixture. Takes a little research and work to setup at first, before you know it its another one of the most used tools you have on the rack or changer.
    md

I have the '31807 - Modular Tension/Compression Tapping Head Kit' - it works great. However this tooling came with the machine which was bought used. The advantage is that you have interchangable tap holders, so if you are tapping multiple sizes you can pop out one holder and pop in another. If I were to solve this today, I'd go with the ER-20 holder. It's not as tall, for one. The most I've ever used on a part is two sizes, so with two of these I would have been coverred for about 2/3rds the price of the the modular.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I do rigid tapping on my machine and have 5 taps in tool holders. I did have 6, but eliminated the 6-32 holder and just upsized all those holes to 8-32.
    I use that and 10/24, 1/4-20, 5/16-18 and 3/8-16. Anything larger and I will use a thread mill.
    How are you doing rigid tapping on the tormach?

Quote Originally Posted by mrquacker View Post
    How are you doing rigid tapping on the tormach?
    Not a Tormach. Lee has a Novakon Pulsar.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yeah, I mainly posted that just to show my normal tap set that pretty much covers all my designs to date.
    Lee

I have a TC tapping head I bought with my machine with 5 different collets and taps. Only used it once
    Threadmills are so easy and controllable once you dial them in. I like being able to tweak the thread tightness (major diameters) for various applications.

Can somebody please explain to me why the machine will not rigid tap? I usually use a canned cycle (G84.1) and was wondering..is it the control that will not process this or is it something physical that prevents the machines from doing it?

If anybody wouldn't mind providing an example, I also would not mind seeing an example of the code you are using to perform whatever tap ops you are doing, using one of the compression tap heads.

Can somebody please explain to me why the machine will not rigid tap? I usually use a canned cycle (G84.1) and was wondering..is it the control that will not process this or is it something physical that prevents the machines from doing it?

If anybody wouldn't mind providing an example, I also would not mind seeing an example of the code you are using to perform whatever tap ops you are doing, using one of the compression tap heads.
    This thread has a few examples
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...c-tormach.html

The code and examples I posted come from cam setup parameters
    As others mention in their examples the code is and was used for well over a thousand holes
    md

Rigid tapping requires a spindle position encoder, so coordinate the downfeed with the spindle rotation. For all practical purposes, that means having a servo-driven spindle, which few, if any, machines in this class, other than the Novakon Pulsar, have. Without VERY close coordination of spindle position and Z position, the tap will break.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Perfect explanation. Thanks

So I assuming this is why compression tap heads are used..to prevent the small amount of 'not so perfect Z pos / spindle speed" from breaking the tap. Makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation, Ray
    I was always curious what rigid tapping actually meant.
    Best
    Nathan

Perfect explanation. Thanks

So I assuming this is why compression tap heads are used..to prevent the small amount of 'not so perfect Z pos / spindle speed" from breaking the tap. Makes sense.