586,741 active members*
3,039 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tsugami S16d questions

Our company currently purchased a Tsugami S16d with a fanuc OT control. I'm new to swiss. I have a few questions...

Is the bar feeder necessary to run it?
    Our stock is only 3' long and fits completely within the spindle. I understand you need something to hold the material while using your G300. Can you use the sub spindle to chuck the material while running your G300 command? The manual only gives examples of with a barfeeder.

I'm not quite sure how G300 and G50 work. I'm guessing G300 defines the location on the machine coordinate system that you want to start work from. I'm still learning programming and the manual lacks explanation.

When we received it all the batteries were dead. I homed it to what the manual explains and when all my machine coordinates are zero, the relative coordinates are not. Is this due to the previous program in memory still using the positioning data?

I called REM and asked the bar feeder question. Who I talked to said he wasn't sure. Ive tried to call our local rep at hartwig, but he never answers his phone. Figured I'd try my luck here.

Re: Tsugami S16d questions

we used to run our tsunamis without a bar feeder. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

Any Idea how to set up the start of the program for that? Something like using G300 to move everything around then loading your bar stock and positioning it manually then clamping the spindle down? As for machining multiple parts I guess you could use the sub to hold the material while you use G300 to return to the home points and then clamp it down. That way nothing would move around. Am I correct in this line of thinking?

its been about 7 years since i've had my hand on a tsugami. I'm going off memory so bare with me, as I do not have any of those manuals anymore.

I honestly can't say how the gcodes work anymore because its been a while, but we had the guide bushing hold the material as the chuck positioned itself to set the working length.

You use the G50 to set your starting coordinates. A OT should return the axis to their home positions at start up, you may need a G30 to do this or a G28. Once homed you use the G50 to set axis location.
    G50X-.08Z0
    If you look at the POS page it may have some random numbers in there like X-.888 and Z.777 for example, the G50 will change these numbers to X-.08 Z0. You can do this with the MDI, I put it at the beginning of the program. The newer machines use the G300 to locate the axis, they know where they are all the time as the older controls don't, you have to tell them. You need to put the part length plus CO and a little extra in the Z and the machine will position the headstock this distance back from the forward most position the of the headstock.
    As for the bar feeder, all this does is hold the stock against the C.O. when the collet is opened and the headstock recoils. If you are running only a few pieces you can just hold it between parts and be go to go. If you need to run large quantities you'll need a feeder of some sort, we still use gravity bar feeders on our machines. If you don't have swiss experience or somebody who does that can help you, you've got a lot to learn. It's a completely different animal than a regular fixed headstock lathe.

Engineer

I have a Tsugami S16D machine that we are trying to get it up and running. We are trying to use a cutting tap tool to make threads but found out this type of machinery does not have the tapping function or G29. To compensate for this we are using a back end tapping type program using the G98 function.
    While running this program the machine stopped working and gave us a "over-travel on the B-axis" on the sub-spindle. With this type of machine once the alarm goes off the controllers seem to get stuck until the alarm is cleared. I ran the calculations twice and do not appear to be the cause why the machine over-traveled on that axis. Has anyone run into a B-axis over-travel alarm?

Previous history: We ran into this same problem on the z-axis on the main spindle, on this case we were able to manually turn the "gear"worn" counterclockwise to re-positioned the over travel alarm. I am new to the machine and trying to get it to work and any tribal-knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

How can I fix this over travel on the B-axis?