>>>>so if you don't know your way around Linux leave it alone

But I want all you newbies to understand that Linux is NOT that scary, especially in this case. Look, all you need to do is store your machine configuration on a usb drive or elsewhere in your network so you have that if you do mess things up.

The fact is, that unlike MS windows that takes hours and hours to install these days, your typical Linux install is practically effortless and take but minutes to completely install. I don't know exactly what Tormach is sending you as "Path Pilot" install, but for example, if you would screw up a control running LinuxCNC which always has Ubuntu underneath, we are talking perhaps 20 minutes and you have EVERYTHING you need installed fresh, your connected to the internet (if you have a lan plugged in), including a full office program, an internet browser and a lot of other programs.

All you need to do is load your machine configs and your back to brand new. Tormach using LCnc is an awesome move and it will be interesting to see those dividing lines defined as to what is open source and what is not.

Regards "Root" account. There is nothing scary there... blah, blah, blah.... certainly not in this application. I'd purposely run in root on a CNC machine to avoid all the constant password requests you get when your running in an account. Of course as released, I'm not sure what limits that they have put on a Path Pilot user currently. It's just an elevated level of security not much unlike windows running in user or administrator. I run ALL my PC's as an administrator. If you were serving a web page or had it connected to the internet with public access, sure, then run it as a user and not root. Easy peasy.

No matter what, Tormach has given you guys something to really get your teeth into compared to where you were with Mach. Once Linux newbies get a little time under their belt, they might just be looking for more and more linux based software options regards Cad and Cam.

Tormach could do very well to create or buy into Cad and Cam for Linux in the near future. LOTS of people in this market would love to move completely to Linux after they find their windows world has collapsed regards older software that fails to run on any of Microsofts newer releases no matter what you try with "compatibility mode".