587,021 active members*
4,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori Seiki SL-65 tailstock problem

I am having trouble moving the base of the tail stock in my mori seiki sl-65 with an msc-516 control. I can get the quill to move in and out, but i can't get the main base to move at all. any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Is it a manual base, the kind that has 2 bolts on the side of it and an engagement block? Or is it a fully programable base that moves with the shot pin on the turret cross slide?
    If it is a manual base, the 2 bolts have to be fully loose to get the engagement block to rotate up into the turret cross slide. There is a cam inside the base that will not allow the engagement block to rotate if the bolts are not fully loose.
    A programmable tailstock can be retaught by using Tailstock Joint Mode on the option panels.

thanks for your quick response. the machine has the fully programmable base, but when we line the shot pin up with the tailstock, Tailstock Joint Mode will not engage. Is there something i am supposed to do to get it to engage?

Line up the shot pin and press both the Joint Mode and Unclamp push buttons at same time. Hold for 5 sec. then release. Shot pin shoul come out and reteach position of tailstock.

Re: Mori Seiki SL-65 tailstock problem

just a FYI for anyone in future, the machines with programmable tailstock know where the tailstock is at any time. manual movement and lining up is not required.
    switch to RAPID mode, press Joint Mode button on the option panel then press and hold Z to move the turret towards the tailstock. the machine will stop automatically when the pin lines up with the tongue. then press unclamp and the pin will come out. then in manual handle mode move the tailstock to the new position, then press clamp.

the above procedure (hold Joint Mode + Unclamp) is for when the machine forgets the tailstock position and using this method it can be re-set. But normally this is not required.