586,690 active members*
3,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Problem with MX3660

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post
    I would still buy a new one if I had to.

I'm not 100% sure what caused the PSU to blow. The more I think of it, It might have been because I was using a lower amperage PSU (7.5 I think) and I had the MX3660 set at the highest amperage setting for each driver. so the act of powering up the drivers\motors might have done it.

Andrew
    I'm inclined to think it was because you ignored several warnings in your other thread about mounting the mx3660 on top of your psu restricting airflow and now both are kaput, coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    DJR, Tell us what you will consider at this price point?
    The MX3660 is basically 3 stepper drivers and a BOB for $265. 3 individual digital drivers rated for 80V and 5.6amps is 3 x $85 = $255. A C10 BOB is $28 for a total of $283. For the $18 difference I would go with separate components.

If you are willing to go with non-digital drivers and a cheaper BOB, you can do it even cheaper. My G0704 has worked perfectly with a Chinese BOB that is currently $11, and Keling 6050 drivers that are $50 each for a total of $161.

The G540 is a good option because you can call the manufacturer direct to get replacement parts. Although I have never dealt with them, all accounts are that they are good to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by treyjugson View Post
    I'm inclined to think it was because you ignored several warnings in your other thread about mounting the mx3660 on top of your psu restricting airflow and now both are kaput, coincidence?
    At the risk of sounding like a d!ck, the box was never on for more than 15 Min while in that configuration and everything wasn't even hot. maybe as hot as it would have been it I was holding the stuff in my hand for 5 min.

I could see if I was running it for hours making parts, but the machine isn't even at that point yet.

Andrew

Hmmm, maybe not heat then, perhaps static electricity, shorting, EMF, ground fault, etc. Doubt that mounting electronics on top of a psu is highly recommended.

Maybe unplugging a stepper while the caps are still energized? Who knows.

Thanks for the price comparison. The only contender, is the G540. Would the package size come into play? They are all rebuildable. Btw I still run a machine on a HCNC Pro kit.
    A lazy man does it twice.

well, just got a message back from my vendor. He says my MX is out of warranty and that leadshine told him they do not sell the replacement drivers..................

BULLSH!T!:nono:

Directly from leadshine's web site

"The MX3660 adopts modular designs. If any of the three stepper drive modules malfunctions, a user can simply replace it with a Leadshine SDM660 stepper drive module at minimal cost."

Link

And here is the only place I've been able to find it sold, Link

I really don't want to pay $79 + s\h. At that point I might just buy a new one and use the one with the bad driver for a lathe or spare parts down the road

Time to contact Leadshine again and see what if anything can be done here since I have now gone thru my vendor!

Andrew
    (this forum needs the emoji of the guy banging his head into the brick wall!)

Quote Originally Posted by DJR22013 View Post
    It is a shame that you have to put up with the hassle considering $265 price tag. I was about ready to order the MX3660, but now will consider another option.

This was going to be my route too but the threads I've seen so far are not giving me high confidence. I really just didn't want to have to wire together all the drivers and BoB but not at the expense of fighting popped drivers.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    This was going to be my route too but the threads I've seen so far are not giving me high confidence. I really just didn't want to have to wire together all the drivers and BoB but not at the expense of fighting popped drivers.
    How many have you heard about popped drivers? Other links I can read? This is the first for me and I hardly put the blame on the mx3660 in this case.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/momus-...g-build-4.html

This is the other link I was looking at recently. They are not high-volume products so if out the relatively few reports I read of people using them I see several issues where they are needing to be sent back I'm not going to gamble my time and effort with them. There was another thread I read through where the MX was mentioned and there were problems as well but it was a another side subject in a much longer thread. No idea now where it is. This is making me nervous to try them.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Light at the end of the tunnel!

just got an email back from lead of sale in America at leadshine and he is going to sell me a new driver, $48 each +s\h

A lot better than $79 each + s\h

Andrew

How many have you heard about popped drivers? Other links I can read? This is the first for me and I hardly put the blame on the mx3660 in this case.
    Does it really matter where the blame is for the popped driver? The fact here is that there is a customer in need of a replacement driver and can't get one. That alone would steer me away from the MX3660. If a customer buys a product that claims easy replacement, but can't get the replacement part then it isn't so easy is it. This right here would send me to Gecko for a G540 if I were looking for an all-in-one unit.

Wiggles84 - Have you looked at the failed driver board to see if there is something obvious. Maybe you would get lucky and have another fuse there too.

If it is not serviceable, it is an issue. Especially if advertised as such, which it is. Regardless of in warranty or out.

Link this thread to the contact at Leadshine. If they dont get the problems associated with bad press, let them perish.

That all being said, I had great responses from them and am quite surprised at the difficulty you have incurred.

I have also used very many of the other vendors thru the zone and have had nothing but great experiences. Their customer service and willingness to talk at length to help a customer has been impressive. Just a hobbyist, never the promise of selling 100's of units or anything.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/momus-...g-build-4.html

This is the other link I was looking at recently. They are not high-volume products so if out the relatively few reports I read of people using them I see several issues where they are needing to be sent back I'm not going to gamble my time and effort with them. There was another thread I read through where the MX was mentioned and there were problems as well but it was a another side subject in a much longer thread. No idea now where it is. This is making me nervous to try them.
    Was this the other thread? http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...-forum-13.html Note it's wiggles other thread where he was warned by gcofield and phomann who was praised for his electronics prowess by fastest1 and I quote "If he is giving you a warning, there is probably a reason why." Travis may have blown a fuse too but as his was still under warranty he got it replaced. I'm not defending the mx3660, don't care why others won't use it, just trying to get some facts so I can decide for myself. Nothing has put me off it yet cause 1 or 2 failures is not near significant enough to me.

Yes, that's the one. Didn't recall the poster was the same as here. I'm not put off completely but certainly this perked my ears up. My other concern was with adding a 4th axis later on these drivers since the BoB is tied into the drivers directly. There is the 4660 but then I'm paying now to power a driver I may not use for years.

Trey, though I do respect Peter Homann and his knowledge as well as gcofield. I dont inherently think the mounting of the unit on the PS is the cause. Not a good idea maybe but unless it was enclosed and running for hours with poor ventilation. I would think it would create too much noise and false triggers before failure. But guess what, I have been wrong before.

I would and will most likely buy the 4 axis model too. Though PMDX might have something on the horizon.

Yes, that's the one. Didn't recall the poster was the same as here. I'm not put off completely but certainly this perked my ears up. My other concern was with adding a 4th axis later on these drivers since the BoB is tied into the drivers directly. There is the 4660 but then I'm paying now to power a driver I may not use for years.
    Yeah the fuses got my attention though, noticed fastest1 saying in that thread he had to replace his but this thread is good for showing how to fix that.

Was this the other thread? http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...-forum-13.html Note it's wiggles other thread where he was warned by gcofield and phomann who was praised for his electronics prowess by fastest1 and I quote "If he is giving you a warning, there is probably a reason why." Travis may have blown a fuse too but as his was still under warranty he got it replaced. I'm not defending the mx3660, don't care why others won't use it, just trying to get some facts so I can decide for myself. Nothing has put me off it yet cause 1 or 2 failures is not near significant enough to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Trey, though I do respect Peter Homann and his knowledge as well as gcofield. I dont inherently think the mounting of the unit on the PS is the cause. Not a good idea maybe but unless it was enclosed and running for hours with poor ventilation. I would think it would create too much noise and false triggers before failure. But guess what, I have been wrong before.

I would and will most likely buy the 4 axis model too. Though PMDX might have something on the horizon.
    Yeah the fuses got my attention though, noticed fastest1 saying in that thread he had to replace his but this thread is good for showing how to fix that.
    You guys did see post #50 right?

I am getting two (2) new drivers from leadshine.

In the end they have no problem helping me, I just had to follow the proper steps, which was going thru the vendor first.

Vendor was not much help, told me they don't sell replacements and to just replace the one bad driver with a standalone driver unit.

Andrew

Great news. Glad to hear they are stepping up.

More good news.

My new drivers came in on Friday at Leadshine. Paid for them and them showed up at my house yesterday.

I only had time to get the new driver in and test it with the one stepper not mount on the machine. No fault LED's :banana:

Not sure when I will have time to get the whole machine powered and do some more testing.

Andew

P.S.

While this was not a fun saturation to deal with, I feel slightly more knowledgeable about the MX3660 and picked up a few more "skills".

This has not turned me away from Leadshine. I understand the need to go thru my vendor first. I just wish he would have been more helpful in the process. But Leadshine picked up the slack and helped me out with discounted replacement drivers.

The vendor needs to have a few spare parts too! Or the ability to have them drop shipped at least to make it appear the vendor is taking care of problems.

Page 3 of 3 123