586,266 active members*
4,314 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Problem with MX3660

There is no reason to go outboard with the fuses. It shouldnt do this at all.

Btw I love YT tutorials.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Andrew,

If the fuses are in parallel the engineers may have done so because of heat and or cost.

I would be very cautious about using a single outboard 20 amp fuse.

The Gecko G540 is only equipped with a 7 amp fuse.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

So I ordered fuses off of ebay. the seller is located about 2 hrs away and he shipped the fuses on Monday. But after waiting 4 days I had enough and soldered a jumper wire over FU1 and put a fuse just out side the MX3660.

The results:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana::banana::banana::banana:

I still never found the ones I was going to send. They are small and I thought I remembered where they were.

Not a big deal. I figured since I found a seller so close I'd have them quickly. Kinda pissed about that.

Should have just done the jumper and external fuse a week ago!

Hopefully it will all have been in vain and there will be no need to change it.

I have a question pertaining to the connectors on the side of the MX3660. There is no way to access the terminal screws on some of the connections, unless some unplug from the device. The closeup pic shows no connectors, but sockets. Can I presume that they unplug? After just paying $250 plus, I don't exactly want to pry and break something.
    And in regards to your fuse situation, the 2 internal 10 amp fuses should be in parallel, and your external fuse should be 10A as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post
    Let me tell you....... Youtube is your friend! Just found a video where the guy adds a good amount to each side and the goes back and forth heating and push the component off the pads on the board. :banana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JM4oCpWnjU

yes, all of them unplug from the box. I find it to be a very convenient feature of the MX3660.

Andrew

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post
    yes, all of them unplug from the box. I find it to be a very convenient feature of the MX3660.

Andrew

So another (nuts) tonight.

I plugged everything up to my machine and computer for testing. got errors from MX3660

Getting over-voltage protection on motors 1 & 2, and over-current protection on motor 3.

Thru switching cables around and testing each stepper motor and motor port on the MX3660, I've been able to track the problem down to the motor port 3 on the MX3660. I can run any of the three steppers on motor ports 1 & 2 and both at the same time without issue. But once a stepper is connected to motor port 3, all three get the over protection faults . Even if port 3 is the only one with a stepper plugged in it causes issues on all three ports.

Any ideas on what to look for?

When I did the jumper inside, I only did one of the fuse spots. maybe I'll bring the control box back home and put on the fuses that finally came in the mail.

Andrew

Well, it looks like my #3 driver took a sh!t !!!!

I got the new 10A SMD fuses soldered to the board. That made no difference, I didn't really expect it to. would have been nice though!

To make sure it was driver board #3 and not the larger board that sits on top of the three driver boards, I switched #3 to #2 to see what would happen. The issues followed the driver board move.

So now I guess I need to get in contact with the place I bought the MX3660 from and see if he help me get a new driver board. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll swap me for a new one................. Pipe dream, I know.

Andrew

Try the contact I gave you. I was impressed with their service and attention even though I didnt buy anything from them. I did purchase their product of course.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you get it worked out.

This is why I prefer separate components. A little more work at the front end wiring BOB to drivers, but when there is a failure it is a simple component swap. With a separate component setup, you could replace the single failed drive with another and it doesn't even have to be the same make or model drive.

You can also do that with a G540 or the Mx3660. Change the driver. No different from the way you do it with separate components.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Try the contact I gave you. I was impressed with their service and attention even though I didnt buy anything from them. I did purchase their product of course.
    I'm working on getting Chris' contact info, head of sales for America.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you get it worked out.

This is why I prefer separate components. A little more work at the front end wiring BOB to drivers, but when there is a failure it is a simple component swap. With a separate component setup, you could replace the single failed drive with another and it doesn't even have to be the same make or model drive.
    I'm sure it will get sorted. worst case, I have to get a new MX and I can hold onto this one for a lathe conversion.

You can also do that with a G540 or the Mx3660. Change the driver. No different from the way you do it with separate components.
    109jb has a good point though, I can't go to any site that I'm aware of and pick up a new driver board for the MX3660.

Andrew

Did you talk to Vic? He tried everything to help me.

Did you talk to Vic? He tried everything to help me.
    well..... It's been kind of a run around with lead shine. Vic was helpful but in the end said to contact my vendor. that was when it was just the fuse issue.

Yesterday I emailed support at leadshine and was told again to contact my vendor and that the head of sales for America could help me out. So I asked for his contact info. And wouldn't you know it......... he said contact my vendor! :wee:

So on the bomb shell........... I contacted my vendor. Arturo says he has a message out to leadshine but was not sure how they would handle this since I purchased it over a year ago. Hoping to hear back today yet, but I'm guessing that won't happen.

Andrew

It is a shame that you have to put up with the hassle considering $265 price tag. I was about ready to order the MX3660, but now will consider another option.

Quote Originally Posted by DJR22013 View Post
    It is a shame that you have to put up with the hassle considering $265 price tag. I was about ready to order the MX3660, but now will consider another option.
    I would still buy a new one if I had to.

I'm not 100% sure what caused the PSU to blow. The more I think of it, It might have been because I was using a lower amperage PSU (7.5 I think) and I had the MX3660 set at the highest amperage setting for each driver. so the act of powering up the drivers\motors might have done it.

Andrew

DJR, Tell us what you will consider at this price point?

Page 2 of 3 123