Thanks for more comments guys. I can see myself doing a lot of small brackets out of aluminum mainly..just things like mounting brackets for things and other odds and end stuff. I also do a lot of engraving work in plastic and aluminum, some steel. that will be the misc. work for the machine. Otherwise, I will probably be making a lot of knife parts for it, like handle frames and individual pieces for folding knives. Not much in the way of cutting very hard steel, although I know the machine has the capability. The knives I build are made from Ti, Al, some steel, carbon fiber, and other different handle materials. The machine will not be used to set a huge 100lb block of steel in and cut 75lbs out of it.

I could see the 770, but I don't really see the need for a 10k rpm spindle. I just figured the bigger and better 1100 would be better, especially since it isn't that much more. I figure if I am going to spend that kind of money on a CNC, I might as well get the biggest and most capable. This will be like a car purchase to us. There may be some people out there that have that kind of money laying around, but I am not one of them. I have no debt other than a mortgage, but saving that much is difficult with a young family.