586,119 active members*
3,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Waterline function having trouble with cross drilled holes.

Waterline function having trouble with cross drilled holes.

Hey guys,
    Im a new Sprut Cam 9 and Tormach 1100 user. I am working on part for a friend where there are two pockets that intersect. The problem I'm having is that when I go to program the cut in the top of the feature the Sprut Cam will only go down so far toward the fin in the picture and wont accept an entry for the bottom level. This is the second time I've done this part and I'm able to make it work with 2d contouring but i would like to get the waterline to not get hung up on lack of a full wall all the down to the base surface I selected. Is there a way to extrude my 2d curve to play nice with the waterline feature? Sorry for the poor picture right now. The small hole is aligned with the z axis when set up in the machine.

Attachment 270420

Attachment 270418

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Waterline function having trouble with cross drilled holes.

For messy stuff, I sometimes separate the waterline into multiple operations. One waterline from 0 to -0.125 (first 'ledge' in the part), then another one from -0.125 to -0.35 (next 'ledge'), etc.. The waterline operation works by 'slicing' the model and projecting the silhouette of the part between the top/bottom cutoffs. The cut path is computed from this silhouette. So, if it's getting confused because you're letting it run and automatically pick the slices, it may be picking out the wrong contours for the cut you're trying to make.

Not sure if that'll fix this issue, but it has worked for several of my parts.
    --Bryan

Thanks Bryan that makes allot of sense as to why it was getting confused. I ended up selecting the edge and projecting the 2d contour to a plane and the. Just did a roughing offset on,y 2d contour operation. I messed around a bit with using the same projected contour extruded as that operations work piece but gave up when in had the 2d contour opp working well.
    Tim

I use the geometry tab to create a work area for the waterline op, this has always worked for me but I havent had any other holes into the work area to contend with either.
    mike sr

2d contour may be the most useful op if you can use it. Gotta love the sprut simulation to show you if it won't so you can try another approach

Quote Originally Posted by tmallard450 View Post
    Thanks Bryan that makes allot of sense as to why it was getting confused. I ended up selecting the edge and projecting the 2d contour to a plane and the. Just did a roughing offset on,y 2d contour operation. I messed around a bit with using the same projected contour extruded as that operations work piece but gave up when in had the 2d contour opp working well.
    Tim

I have never tried this
    I will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I use the geometry tab to create a work area for the waterline op, this has always worked for me but I havent had any other holes into the work area to contend with either.

I did some fiddling with the job zone function and it worked awesome! I clicked on the outer pocket edge and pressed job zone. The job zone button projected and extruded that curve and ignored all those pesky cross drilled holes. I had pre drilled a pilot hole in the previous opp for my tool to plunge in. Then all i had to do was tell the strategy tab to start from outside the part and the tool dropped right into my pre drilled holes.

I pretty much had to use the job zone as it would try to waterline the outside of the part as well if I didnt, sprut 7 here, the newer version may not operate exactly the same.
    mike sr

I did some fiddling with the job zone function and it worked awesome! I clicked on the outer pocket edge and pressed job zone. The job zone button projected and extruded that curve and ignored all those pesky cross drilled holes. I had pre drilled a pilot hole in the previous opp for my tool to plunge in. Then all i had to do was tell the strategy tab to start from outside the part and the tool dropped right into my pre drilled holes.

If the plunge hole provided is bigger then tool dia. then sprut will find it automatically and use it for depth change and tool engagement path.
    I did a thread called take the plunge that details how sput will automatically find the holes and use them. Also shows a few ideas on extra lines I draw in cad system for sprutcam to use as job zones or fixtures. These as you noted will constrain tool paths to areas you want. When I run into a job assignment that wont function right I use lines defined as fixtures to limit paths. This gives the user an extra method of control of where and what is being worked on. Very important on big parts with lots of features.
    md

I select waterline ops like this, not using the curve of the hole but selecting the area with job zone using the selection, and selector shown in red. I also deselect "clear flats" in parameters otherwise that can sometimes cause problems if the Z height isnt exact (marks the surface).

Attachment 270944
    mike sr

Don't forget about using planes, drives and optimized planes on parts like this too. I find that those tool paths tend to be much more efficient than the waterline. My typical operations use roughing drive or plane and then either a combination of complex milling or finishing/rest waterlines. It even works in my trusty old buggy Sprut 7 :-). Good luck making that part it is pretty awesome looking!

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Don't forget about using planes, drives and optimized planes on parts like this too. I find that those tool paths tend to be much more efficient than the waterline. My typical operations use roughing drive or plane and then either a combination of complex milling or finishing/rest waterlines. It even works in my trusty old buggy Sprut 7 :-). Good luck making that part it is pretty awesome looking!
    True!,
    Extensive software with many options and methods to get things done. It pays to experiment with different operations and different settings. I can make waterline operation generate tool paths like drive operations and drive to generate tool paths like plane operations. All the parameters can be tweaked to get just about any results you want. Using job zones, restriction zones, fixtures and fixture lines and planes can all also constrain or modify tool paths and results. Combined with a good tool selection and you have a way to mill out a wide range of designs.
    md