586,385 active members*
3,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach 770 HSM max cut

Inspired by the other "max cut" videos. I needed to test feeds & speeds to optimize my roughing cuts.
    Figured the forum might have the same interest as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaA--nC7BbA

Still need to test corners when pocketing, since SprutCAM doesn't change feed rate in tight corners (anyone know different?).
    --Bryan

Re: Tormach 770 HSM max cut

These tests are always interesting and imformative. I wonder if this setup mimics what you need to rough though? I would think that you would have less overhang of your part instead of it sticking up 4" or so. It does give you good feedback none the less.

What numbers did you use for this? HSMadvisor, GWizard?

I would like to see this with drilling ops and drill bits. I have the worst time on 6061 with drill bits 1/4" and under for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post

I would like to see this with drilling ops and drill bits. I have the worst time on 6061 with drill bits 1/4" and under for some reason.
    On smaller drills, you MUST peck-drill once you go beyond about 3 diameters. The deeper you go, the more you have to reduce RPM and peck depth. In 6061, lubrication (oil, or oil-based coolant) is also almost essential. I've done holes down to 0.02", up to 20 diameters deep, and have not broken a drill in a long time.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    Neither. They both give confusing numbers, so I started down low and incremented it up to what I thought it could do (based on HP, Torque, MRR).
    Originally I thought I might make it to 25! So it's nice to see almost twice that speed works just fine.

I calculated that the 770 should be able to cut about 2.8-3.0 MRR if it had a full 1 HP at the spindle.
    That translates into 50-60 IPM for this test cut, I picked the lower number as the end target. Now that I've seen it run, I think it could go higher than 50.

For reference, GWizard gives me 56 IPM, 2.8 MRR, 182 oz-in torque - which might actually work!

FSWizard Lite (iPhone app), if I tweak it enough to stop suggesting 3 HP cuts.. gives basically the same numbers, but who knows if I'm using it correctly. I really need to cap the values somehow and just don't understand how to do this with the app. Specifically, it is not much use to me if I can't trust that it's taking my machine's capabilities into consideration, which is pretty obvious when every cut is way over my HP limits.

--Bryan

FWIW - HSMAdvisor, which I find more reliable than GWizard, gives 57 IPM for that same tool, RPM, DOC, WOC, using its PCNC770 model.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I like the online FSWizard. It breaks it all down like GWizard seems too. You can back off the SFM to 70 I usually find it more in our machine range. You can adjust the feed according to the op.

I got real close to Ray's numbers on FSWizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Turner View Post
    Neither. They both give confusing numbers, so I started down low and incremented it up to what I thought it could do (based on HP, Torque, MRR).
    Originally I thought I might make it to 25! So it's nice to see almost twice that speed works just fine.

I calculated that the 770 should be able to cut about 2.8-3.0 MRR if it had a full 1 HP at the spindle.
    That translates into 50-60 IPM for this test cut, I picked the lower number as the end target. Now that I've seen it run, I think it could go higher than 50.

For reference, GWizard gives me 56 IPM, 2.8 MRR, 182 oz-in torque - which might actually work!

FSWizard Lite (iPhone app), if I tweak it enough to stop suggesting 3 HP cuts.. gives basically the same numbers, but who knows if I'm using it correctly. I really need to cap the values somehow and just don't understand how to do this with the app. Specifically, it is not much use to me if I can't trust that it's taking my machine's capabilities into consideration, which is pretty obvious when every cut is way over my HP limits.

--Bryan
    Currently FSWizard can not cap HP requirements.
    Only HSMAdvisor does so.

It would, however, be a good feature to add to the mobile app.
    I will try to squeeze it in.
    http://zero-divide.net
    FSWizard:Advanced Feeds and Speeds Calculator

Zero - Norton thinks that HSMAdvisor is a virus and rudely deleted it from my system. I'm pretty sure I can fix that, but figured you might want to know.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Zero - Norton thinks that HSMAdvisor is a virus and rudely deleted it from my system. I'm pretty sure I can fix that, but figured you might want to know.

Mike
    Michael,
    When did this happen?

Norton started blocking my program couple a days ago, but i have fixed it since with those guys.
    If you download a latest 1.145 update, norton should not complain anymore.

edit: them Norton guys extort money from developers. They want us to buy code signing certificates from them for some insane amounts of money, without which, they flag software as malicious or suspicious.
    To prevent false positive detections we strongly recommend vendors to digitally sign their software with a class 3 digital certificate.
    check this out $500 for one year! this is outrageous
    Buy Online | Symantec

Ive been playing with Sprut Cams toroidal paths very similar to HSM. Its very nice to know you always have constant tool engagement in tight corners. I just put the HP numbers in G wizard taken from HSM advisor and now I have much more reasonable numbers. Ive been getting better results with much lower step overs %20 of the cutter and lower. Im making some bicycle shifters tomorrow and plan trying down to %12 with a 3/8 tool and see how it goes. The biggest thing with the HSM tool paths ive noticed is when the tool engages the work its very abrupt. Any slight tool pull out with the TTS holders and the tools will just scream. Found that out the hard way with a crap tormach R8 collect. Their new replacement solved allot of problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zero_divide View Post
    Michael,
    When did this happen?

Norton started blocking my program couple a days ago, but i have fixed it since with those guys.
    If you download a latest 1.145 update, norton should not complain anymore.

edit: them Norton guys extort money from developers. They want us to buy code signing certificates from them for some insane amounts of money, without which, they flag software as malicious or suspicious.

check this out $500 for one year! this is outrageous
    Buy Online | Symantec
    It happened a month or so ago, several weeks after I had downloaded the (then) most recent version and installed it. It had worked fine before that so I assume that one of Norton's virus updates got a little aggressive. I'll try the newest HSMAdvisor version.

Mike

This has moved a bit off topic, but my work uses Comodo certificates: Free Internet Security and Antivirus | Security Solutions from Comodo

Cheaper than Symantec, but still back-breaking for a small software developer.
    --Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Turner View Post
    This has moved a bit off topic, but my work uses Comodo certificates: Free Internet Security and Antivirus | Security Solutions from Comodo

Cheaper than Symantec, but still back-breaking for a small software developer.
    --Bryan
    Thank you. In fact they pretty much forsed me to buy a certificate. I went with comodo.

I will never buy anything from Symantec because i think it is not fare for company to enforce certificates it itself is selling.

I just had Norton flag an executable I made in AutoHotKey many years ago as "dangerous" or some ****. It also decided my two SolidCAM update files were dangerous as well. Way to go Norton. Perhaps "unknown" or "lacking certificate" could be added to their vocabulary.