586,440 active members*
4,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Rotary cut

Rotary cut

I was making a part in 4 axis with the top all cut in a flat pass ( 3 axis) and the bottom all cut in a rotary about 200 degrees worth of rotation I reset the bottom in the machine to read a zero and the part was rotated in madcam 180 so the tool pathing would be correct . Half way through the cut or so the part rotated more then 360 to get to the new cut position and ruined the part . Is there any way to control madcam to not rotate past a certain point like in clipping planes for depth of cut .

I can certainly remember to look for the Gcode that has numbers rotating back through the part but I would not have enough experience to modify them and trust not to crash the machine

Re: Rotary cut

If you crashed while rotating into the next position, then the solution is simple. Get the tool out of the way while the machine rotates to the next position. One way to do that is to use the machine coordinate system (M92 on my machines) and move to an absolute value in that coordinate system. You can add something like this to the post

*TOOLPATH_CHANGE*
    "lnbr" M129 ;TCPM OFF
    "lnbr" M25 M27 ;UNLOCK THE TABLE
    "lnbr" L Z1. FMAX M92
    "lnbr" L X324.Y-595. FMAX M92
    "lnbr" ;TOOL #"toolnr" CONTINUES
    *END_SECTION*

With this section in your post, the tool will retreat to your "safe position" to avoid any collisions.

There's probably other ways to do it, but this works for us,

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I will try that , thanks. I know I can set my machine to not rotate past a certain point but it would be nice if madcam could one day have a clipping plane type addition , some of my gcodes have more than half a million lines of code to search through.

Yeah, you don't want to be doing that. However, if you do need to search g-code, I strongly suggest you try Notepad++. It's free. It is as close to notepad as the Wright brothers plane was to the space shuttle!

If you make the changes to your post, you will never need to edit the code.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I use word pad to mod the Gcode any one know if you can search for a number greater than or smaller a set number? Other wise I need to look at each line of code.

I would look at Notepad++. I don't know if it will do what you want, but then again, I only now about 1% of what it can do. I love the way I can search across files that aren't even open and do a find and replace. That's very useful for editing tool libraries. I had to change a coolant parameter in all my WorkNC tools. Considering all the tooling for all the machines, different materials, etc. I have thousands of individual tools. I was able to change all of the files in about 5 seconds!!

Notepad++ Home

Hello

We provide the best lasers routes and plasma CNC machine. Need information. Please contact us

Regards
    Casper
    Www.cncmetalcut.com
    Www.laser-solution.com