586,129 active members*
2,814 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Lifting bar links look a little thin?

Lifting bar links look a little thin?

Hi, I just received my lifting bar from Tormach and the links seem a little "wimpy y. " Perhaps they are normal. What do you guys think?

Re: Lifting bar links look a little thin?

Maybe - I remember thinking they looked a bit on the weak side with the Tormach I helped move last fall, but they worked fine.

McMaster has a nice selection of shackles - and with them - they're work load rating if it helps ease your mind at all. They're surprisingly strong.

McMaster-Carr

WW
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

They look the same as the ones I have.

I ended up buying an expensive shackle and hook with a swivel to hang mine on due to the complexities involved in my installation. It wasn't impressive looking either and it was rated for 8,000 pounds I think? Bought from McMaster.

Mistake post

While I used my own lifting concoction I had these similar thoughts in an earlier post:
    "Eye Bolt mounted to T slot (1/2" nut and washer slide right in). Notice the China on chain! I get a little leery, Chinese lift, Chinese chain, Chinese hooks, Chinese bolts ..."
    Attachment 276122

Just to update. I had no issues getting the mill on the stand. They are obviously designed to handle the load required. However, I cant imagine it would cost much more to include thicker ones and I'm sure many people would be willing to pay a little extra for a much higher margin of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
    They look the same as the ones I have.

I ended up buying an expensive shackle and hook with a swivel to hang mine on due to the complexities involved in my installation. It wasn't impressive looking either and it was rated for 8,000 pounds I think? Bought from McMaster.
    Cheapest steel I can find (A36) claims roughly 48 kpsi tensile strength for 1" bar. The chain I got from Tormach (years ago) mikes 0.320" diameter, and the bar is about 0.460, so on an area basis the Tormach chain I have should handle around 5 kpsi if it's just merchant steel (as long as it's properly welded, of course). The chain appears more than adequate to handle the load, plus a more than adequate margin of safety. I'd worry (a lot) more about dangling a 3/4 ton weight on a single point lift.

Quote Originally Posted by inov8r View Post
    While I used my own lifting concoction I had these similar thoughts in an earlier post:
    "Eye Bolt mounted to T slot (1/2" nut and washer slide right in). Notice the China on chain! I get a little leery, Chinese lift, Chinese chain, Chinese hooks, Chinese bolts ..."
    You forgot Chinese mill...

Well I've just used the lifting bar and all the parts that go with it today. worked like a treat. and that was with an engine crane on the 250kg rate mark.. oops :P

Quote Originally Posted by Philbobb View Post
    You forgot Chinese mill...
    Haha yes! Yes I did.

I lifted mine by using a 1" bar through the lifting holes on the front of the mill base. Seemed like a better idea than putting all that stress on the mill table. Using a load spreader, it was easy to precisely balance the mill so it was perfectly horizontal prior to lowering onto the base.

Attachment 276544
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I lifted mine by using a 1" bar through the lifting holes on the front of the mill base. Seemed like a better idea than putting all that stress on the mill table. Using a load spreader, it was easy to precisely balance the mill so it was perfectly horizontal prior to lowering onto the base.

Attachment 276544
    I'd love to see this pic, the attachment is a dead link, any chance you can reload it or PM me the pic?