586,277 active members*
3,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post M60 and CNC7 question

this may be a dumb question but it has me stumped. when I got this used millport mill some years ago, when you shut the machine down for the day, the next day when prepared for use, the program you last ran would be loaded up automatically. now I get an error message on the screen that says
    " error saving file ". almost like some file has been corrupted, any thoughts?? I must be missing something obvious but cant see it. other wise the machine runs fine. thanks

Re: M60 and CNC7 question

If you get the "Error saving file" message when you load a new job, and perhaps again when you use the Part Setup screen and when a running job ends; and if the job you loaded is not the one loaded next time you power up; then it is probably having trouble with the CNC7.JOB file.

If possible, use F7/Utility -> F3/Backup to back up your configuration, CNC programs, and Intercon programs onto floppy disks.

Then exit to DOS (Ctrl-Alt-X from the main screen, or Alt-F10 from the Utility menu) and run SCANDISK to check for hard disk errors.

You can also just delete the problem file:
    DEL CNC7.JOB
    The control software will just make a new one with default values when you start up. That file does not have any critical system information; just job setup information (e.g. what job is loaded; whether the machine has been homed; the currently-selected WCS number; current tool offsets; Z Reference for tool measuring; etc..).

Alternately, if you did not run SCANDISK and you suspect that CNC7.JOB is sitting on unreliable space on the hard drive, you can rename it:
    REN CNC7.JOB CNC7JOB.BAD
    That will have the same effect as deleting it, except that this guarantees that the new file does not get put in the same disk space that the old one was in.

thanks a million, I'll try that this afternoon.

CNCSNW, thank you for your solution to my problem .My system would not let me delete the job file but it let me rename it. restarted the system, got an error reading file message. loaded a file from HD, restarted system and the file I had was reloaded just as it was when I first got the machine .all the job settings were loaded too.Don't know how the job file went bad but all is well again.Thank you again for taking the time to help.No way was I going to mess with files on my own.