586,308 active members*
3,574 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > AutoCAD learning help - 3D, surfaces etc

AutoCAD learning help - 3D, surfaces etc

I just started a new job where I will be modeling pump stations and other facilities that has to do with sewer water and clean water supply. 2D drawings and 3D models will be made in AutoCAD Plant 3D 2014. I have used SolidWorks and Rhino 3D before and feel that I need help to get started in AutoCAD I will probably ask more questions as time goes, so I will number the questions to keep everything nice and clean.

Q1: I want to make a surface as shown in the upper figure in the picture below. The way I do it now is to use PLANESURF with the bigger curve to make a "disk" and then use SURFTRIM with the other curves to cut out the pieces I don´t need. I would like to be able to just select PLANESURF, then select the curves that would make up the border of the surface, like in the lower figure, and be done. Is this possible?

Attachment 270824

Q2: Same thing as in Q1, I want to make a surface like the one shown in the upper figure in the picture below, but this time from the edges of the surfaces in the figure below. Now I use XEDGES (holding ctrl while selecting, to only select the edges I want) and extract curves from the surfaces, then select the curves and use PLANESURF to create the surface. Is it possible to use PLANESURF and then just select the edges of the surfaces, without having to do the extra step of making curves first?

Attachment 270826

Q3: Sometimes I want to measure something quickly while working in 3D and I have a hard time getting the result I want. What I want is to be able to select two points and get the arrows and digits to align next to the points. What I do now is to create a UCS for the view direction I want to measure in, select it, select the two points I want measured and then try to figure out where it is. If I had selected the wrong UCS I would get no measurement at all (just showing "0,00" because AutoCAD don´t get in which dimension I want to measure, even though I selected two 3dimentional points) In the picture below I wanted to measure the height of the surface and the measurement is shown pretty far from the surface. Do I really have to use a separate UCS for every view I want to measure in? Shouldn´t I just be able to select two points and the measurement would be shown right next to the thing I measure? Is there some kind of "free roam" UCS that adapt to the situation?

Attachment 270828

Thank you for a great forum!

Re: AutoCAD learning help - 3D, surfaces etc

I know that Turbocad is a bit different, but very similar to Autocad. The biggest thing that helped me be more productive in every aspect of the software was to learn the keyboard shortcuts. It is a tremendous advantage over just using the mouse to first find the op you want and then click it.
    I think a little time doing this will help with the questions above as well.
    The vocabulary is different between the two programs as well, but extrude and shell commands might be used for some of what you want. You can use split line and then delete unwanted lines or join two lines and the rest is auto deleted according to where you click the saved lines.
    Lee

Do you have to use surfaces? Solids would be much faster, and easier.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Do you have to use surfaces? Solids would be much faster, and easier.
    Well, no. I guess that´s my approach since I worked with Rhino last. Since I read your comment I have been experimenting with solids and it´s going pretty good. It seems easier to work with solids than surfaces in AC, at least for me.

The problem with measuring etc in 3D is still there though. For example if I want to draw a plane (surface) I have to create a UCS for the "direction" I want to draw in and then select it instead of WCS. Just pressing TAB or some other key to change drawing direction would be so much easier. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you for your answers!

Just pressing TAB or some other key to change drawing direction would be so much easier. Any thoughts on this?

I use a set of LISP routines to do just that. I use the 1-9 keys on the number pad to change views.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I use a set of LISP routines to do just that. I use the 1-9 keys on the number pad to change views.
    While changing views with 1-9 keys sounds pretty sweet, I can´t help but feel that a simple TAB push would be best for me. Aside from programming with LISP, how do other people change the drawing direction in 3D? I will however look into LISP programming, it seems interesting. Thanks!

New question,

Q4: I often have a hard time selecting the object I want while there are a lot of objects close to each other, most notably when I try to select curves that are on or close to solids and surfaces. Is there a way to set the sensitivity so that curves are prioritized over solids and surfaces? Also, can I change the mouse pointer to a regular pointer (white arrow) instead of the cross/box thing? Maybe it will be easier for me to select what I want if I know exactly where the tip of the arrow is.

Attachment 272028

As seen in the picture above (solid with a curve on it), my pointer seems to be exactly on the curve but clicking will select the solid, not the curve.

I don't know of any way to change views with a single key.

As for selecting that line.

Drag a window across it from right to left, which should select both the line and the solid. Then Shift+click the solid, which will leave only the line selected.

I don't think you can change the cursor, but you can change the size of it. Zooming in closer also may help.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Okay. I know it gets confusing when I mention TC, but for functionality, I thought both were very similar. Maybe not as similar as I thought.
    In TC, I customize the tools to my own liking. I have all my views on one Bar that I place at the top. Click the one you want. I also have the Workplanes up there. You can select and make any facet a workplane if you want. My renders are there too. Lets you see wire frame, hidden lines, etc.

In TC, when making a selection, we get a flyout that has every element close to the one you are trying to select. Hover over each one and it is then highlighted in the drawing, so you know which one you are selecting.

We also have many different cursor choices. I think they are in preferences. I would expect AC to have similar.
    Lee

I don't know if this will help in your situation but it helps me a lot. If you choose a top view the choose a isometric view offsetting, lines circles etc.. Will still be in relation to the top view. It works with all standard views. If you go from a front view or a left side view to isometric it will still reference the commands to the view used before the isometric view. Also for simple objects like the one in your first post solids are simple and easy to use. Unless you are doing complex or freeform work solids save tons of time and effort. Autocad will do almost everything that rhino or solidworks does the difficulty is knowing what autocad calls that same command or vise versa. The help files in autocad are your best friend. Also pay close attention to the command prompt line since it often gives you options on how to execute each command. You should study the help files for each type of solid and surface to understand all the possibilities for using each one. It will also tell you how to execute each command properly. If there's something you want to do and don't see it is probably just using a different name for the command then your familiar with so again search thru the help files and you'll be amazed how powerful the software is. Also make things more intuitive for yourself as you go. Add and subtract toolbars you do/don't need and set them up like other software's your more familiar with to make transitioning easier.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by murak View Post
    I just started a new job where I will be modeling pump stations and other facilities that has to do with sewer water and clean water supply. 2D drawings and 3D models will be made in AutoCAD Plant 3D 2014. I have used SolidWorks and Rhino 3D before and feel that I need help to get started in AutoCAD I will probably ask more questions as time goes, so I will number the questions to keep everything nice and clean.

Q1: I want to make a surface as shown in the upper figure in the picture below. The way I do it now is to use PLANESURF with the bigger curve to make a "disk" and then use SURFTRIM with the other curves to cut out the pieces I don´t need. I would like to be able to just select PLANESURF, then select the curves that would make up the border of the surface, like in the lower figure, and be done. Is this possible?

Attachment 270824

Q2: Same thing as in Q1, I want to make a surface like the one shown in the upper figure in the picture below, but this time from the edges of the surfaces in the figure below. Now I use XEDGES (holding ctrl while selecting, to only select the edges I want) and extract curves from the surfaces, then select the curves and use PLANESURF to create the surface. Is it possible to use PLANESURF and then just select the edges of the surfaces, without having to do the extra step of making curves first?

Attachment 270826

Q3: Sometimes I want to measure something quickly while working in 3D and I have a hard time getting the result I want. What I want is to be able to select two points and get the arrows and digits to align next to the points. What I do now is to create a UCS for the view direction I want to measure in, select it, select the two points I want measured and then try to figure out where it is. If I had selected the wrong UCS I would get no measurement at all (just showing "0,00" because AutoCAD don´t get in which dimension I want to measure, even though I selected two 3dimentional points) In the picture below I wanted to measure the height of the surface and the measurement is shown pretty far from the surface. Do I really have to use a separate UCS for every view I want to measure in? Shouldn´t I just be able to select two points and the measurement would be shown right next to the thing I measure? Is there some kind of "free roam" UCS that adapt to the situation?

Attachment 270828

Thank you for a great forum!
    Viewcube / UCS / And solids are your friends. dont use surface's it will only make it harder on you. https://youtu.be/F-gmhi2MA0c

Seth | Autocad 3D \ Cadworx
    http://www.CadBros.com

Thank you all for your comments!

Q5: Zooming with the scroll wheel while in parallel view (3D) zooms in where the mouse pointer is, which I like, but in perspective view it just zooms in straight to the middle of the model. Can I change the zoom in perspective view so that it behaves like it does in parallel view?

I found a solution to Q4 that works for me:

Press ctrl + w. While pressing a area with many objects a pop-up menu will now appear that lets me select the object I want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	select objects.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	273686

Hi again guys!

Q6: Sometimes when I import (using the IMPORT command) parts (.iges, .step etc) the scale is wrong, meaning that the parts are way too small and I have to scale them myself. Is this a problem with the parts I'm importing or with some setting in AutoCAD?

The measurement in the image should be 80.00mm but is 3.15mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	import scale.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	276978

That can be a little tricky to answer. To really be sure, you have to know for sure the actual size of the iges file.
    Some programs scale on export, and some will scale on import.

One thing you can try is export an iges from AutoCAD, and import it back in and see if it's the same size. If it is, then chances are good that the iges is the wrong size. No guarantee, though, as it's possible that AutoCAD could be scaling on import and export. I doubt that's the case, though.

These issues usually occur when mixing imperial and metric. Some CAD programs like to always export in mm's, even when you work in inches.

Note that 3.15 inches = 80mm
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

it might be off topic,

I just checked autodesk fusion360..

and it is more than promising.. you can use it free, and im sure it works together with autocad..

the solids versus surfaces, hard to answer for, but shortly solids will work greatly with the uniform geometries.. beyond that possible to use, but surfaces and meshes yielding too much just simply ignore them..

just my 2 cent..