Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences! I can´t comment on every answer, but they have all been very interesting and useful to me! I must say, I´m a bit overwhelmed

Maybe Inventor would be best suited for my needs, but getting my employer to buy it just because I´m unwilling to give AutoCAD a real chance is of course wrong. The proper thing to do is to use AutoCAD for a year or two and then evaluate if there is a need for something else. Just because I would LIKE something else doesn´t mean it would be cost effective to my employer. Therefor I have come to the (very adult) conclusion that I will give AutoCAD a shot. I will start asking for help here on cnczone in a new thread and you are all welcome to join me there as I embark on this adventure.

I (will) use AutoCAD to make 2D drawings and 3D models of pump stations, sewer water cleaning stations and fresh water facilities. The 3D models are mostly for me to see if everything fits together, if there is enough room for a certain component etc, but also for the people who will build, to be able to show how to route the pipes etc.

This was the first thing I modeled while learning the basics in AutoCAD, a pump station, just to give you a hint of what I am trying to do. I feel that I probably will be ashamed of it soon though

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS 3D old.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	270818

Thank you all!