Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
The motors for my heavy duty digital package will not work well with the g540 kit. The g540 only outputs 3.5 amps max. The motors (570) need 5 and (906) 6.1 amps to run at full torque. Running at less than rated amps will detune them basically weakening them, the 570 oz/in will detune to 399 oz/in and the 906 oz/in will detune to 520 oz/in. Steppers rated at 3.5 amps are good for the g540 such as the 381 oz/in stepper but these are a little weak for a g0704. You also have to keep in mind the inductance of the stepper, too high and it requires too high a supply voltage to run best at full speed. This is the reason for the packages with the motors on my site, they are matched for best performance.
If you want to use a laptop get an ethernet smoothstepper, no need for a parallel port and get a big boost in performance vs a parallel port only setup.
Shielded 4 wire 18awg makes for good motor cables, the end connectors depends on what box you get, some use db9 connectors, others the 4 pin connectors.
Hoss
Great info, thanks for taking the time to explain. It is very hard to find this specific info with out reading thru bunch of other info that just dos not get to the point and thus confuses me more.
ive seen the prebuilt boxs with ethernet smoothsteppers in them. i will start looking at those and find one compatible with your heavy duty motor setup. im not new to cnc machining or
programming but am a complete noobie to learning all the pieces you dont see that make them work.i greatly appreciate the help and apologize if you have answered all theses questions before.
with every post im getting closer to taking the dive!!! The type of work i have planned for this mill is for prototyping new jobs at home for my day job.home projects,and small production runs for
inventions. just out of curiosity what tolerances are you guys getting out of your g0704s. ball screws or not.what ballscrews get minimal backlash, just a fun question.i know its a grizzly g0704 not the most rigid. but it works with my budget.(the budget that the wife will allow lol) thanks again.