Hello from Milwaukee WI,

I am normally one to read the forums rather than write, but since this seems like a very friendly community (not what you normally see on other forums) I figured I would reach out for some help on a project I picked up.

A little about myself, I have always been a tinkerer. When I was a kid it was electronics, high school through now is cars, and I recently picked up a home made cnc. I have always love machining and was lucky enough to get introduced to it in a high school metals class. My first job out of college was at a large steel processor that worked with steel mills and end users. It was a great experience and I learned a ton (no pun intended) about metals. I recently switched gears and now work for a risk management firm that helps manufacturers (and other companies) identify and address their risks. I have been very fortunate to work around manufacturers as much as I have.

Anyway, I came across a home build cnc from an estate sale around the Milwaukee area. The son of the gentleman that built it did not know much about it, but it came with a lot of paperwork and I took a gamble. What it did not come with was the computer that ran the machine. I bought it to make some parts for a project car I am working on. 1991 BMW 318is with a 4.4L V8 and 6 speed trans from a 540i. I can get pics of that up if anyone is interested.

I know it is the harbor freight bench mill, but what else should I be looking for? Should I take the computer apart and see the hardware? Does my software depend on that hardware? I am looking to keep it on the cheaper side until I know it runs, but if there is a cost effective software that blows an open source one out of the water I am willing to invest in it. Pictures below.

Thanks in advanced and I am looking forward to joining the community.