586,132 active members*
2,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > G0704 Electronics Questions

G0704 Electronics Questions

I am starting to do a G0704 build. I am waiting for the machine to get in stock. I am setting up the electronics in the meantime. I do have a question to start with. How are you guys mounting the power supply? Its a Keling (KL-600-48} 48V 12.5A. There are no lugs on it to mount with. I did see someone used what looked like double sided tape but I want to be able to remove as needed.

Re: G0704 Electronics Questions

The switching power supplies that I have bought have had small threaded holes in the case for mounting screws.just don't use screws that are too long where they could touch electronics inside.

A new problem, maybe. I hooked up the power supply, the MX3660, and 1 motor on the X axis. I connected a parallel cable to the computer and the MX3660. I turned on the power, and got a small pop sound. Nothing happened, and all the lights on the devices were lit as they should be. I discovered I didn't set any pins in the Mach3 config screens. Im not sure if I damaged anything at this point. I don't have a clue how to set this stuff up. I have the X,Y, and Z axis buttons turned green, and the pins for them set according to the MX3660 instructions. But- what do I do now? I don't know what to do with the rest of them, and I don't want to cause any more possible damage than I may have done already. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

I have an ESS but not sure if I want to create more problems for myself. Will the ESS eliminate the Mach3 pins setup? What about a jumper on each ESS header connector? I was planning to hook up a 5V power supply to the board as shown. Do I just remove the jumpers they mention? The documentation for this stuff is not very clear to me.

You will still need the port and pin setting on mach3 when using the ESS.

As far as setting the port and pins in goes, you can get an XML file from automation technologies, cnc4pc, of even leadshine that has all the pins assigned already. but you will still have to assign what each input (home\limits?) and output (coolant?)
    does.

When I got my ESS, I think it was already set for using a 5V supply? You will also have to set some address on the local network card. not hard at all, there is very easy walk thru HERE

Andrew

I downloaded the *.xml file, but no clue where to put it, or if I have to extract it. I have been reading the manuals for the MX3660 and the Mach3, but I am no further than I was to begin with. The ESS and network settings are easy. I work with this stuff so it is not an issue. I just don't want to screw up any of this stuff, or test to see if I already have.

OK, I figured out what and where to put the xml file. It looks like the pins don't match the MX3660 config tho. I reckon I should change the DB25 pins to the same as the driver specs. I also see I need to disable the charge pump so the driver will work.

Progress at last !! I tried the xml file, made some adjustments, and was able to spin 2 motors. I found the pins in the xml file were not quite right. I ended up switching the Y and Z pins to get the correct motor to spin. Next on my list is to set up the smoothstepper, then hook it all up and try it out! I won't know if the rotation is correct until I get further along. I also got my box to put the electronic components into. I just need to have some warmer weather to go out to the shop to drill holes, and cut openings for fans, connectors and such.

Here I am again with a couple of more questions.
    First: ESS header jumper pin #26. I have 5V to the connector. It lights up and responds to a ping from the computer. But- there is a jumper at each header connector. The ESS shipped with the jumper NOT connected. One pic in docs show it connected, one pic shows it connected. Docs say on one page to connect, another page says not connected. Which is correct?
    Second: MX3660 has female DB25 connector. ESS has DB25 female connector cable. The MX3660 comes with a mini gender changer, but it is too short, and there is no way to secure the jumper ribbon cable (26 pin to DB25 F/F) as the DB25 is blocked by the securing stud. I can buy a DB25 M/M that is about 1 1/2" long to fix, but what is anyone using these items do?
    I don't want to be forced to put a parallel cable (DB25 M/M) into my electronics enclosure.

Matching the gender always seems to be the opposite of whatever you have on hand. Get an adapter or build a jumper that has the correct plugs (ribbon cable).

Pics of anything always help. The ESS jumper you are referring to, is this the 1 for selection of power?
    A lazy man does it twice.

After reviewing the ESS. I believe you are referring to the jumpers to enable the headers of a 2nd or 3rd port. Only needed if you are running more than 1 port. As in you need more inputs or outputs than 1 port can supply. Or a few more axis.

Each header connection has a jumper at what seems to be designated as "pin #26". The documentation doesn't give definitive info as far as I am concerned. There are 3 header ports, numbered 1,2 and 3. I only need one port at present to connect to an MX3660 which is a 3 in 1 motor driver. I suspect all 3 ports would be used for 3 separate motor drivers. Is this jumper 26 used to enable a particular port?
    As far as the gender changer goes, there are inexpensive items that should do the job. Header cables with a male DB25 seem to be a rarity. I will either have to fab one myself, or just buy a longer gender changer. This is economical, with price and free shipping, but should work lol.
    DB25 Male to DB25 Male M M Mini Gender Changer Coupler DB25 Pin Lot of Two 2 | eBay

Edit: after rereading your post, it appears that the jumper should be used to power each particular port?
    Thanks for the help.

A single port can handle 4 axis of motion and still have inputs, outputs, limits, indexes, etc.
    Most likely you wont need more than 1 to start. You can use a second port for a pendant for example.

I discovered the cure for the problem I was having trying to figure out what was up with the ESS. Turns out my laptop has some sort of an issue. I did a fresh install of Win XP Tablet Edition, and nothing else. It seems that it was not playing nice with Mach3. When I exited Mach, the executable for Mach would continue to run. I moved the setup back to the desktop I started with. Now everything is working with the ESS. I do want to use a laptop in the shop as it takes up less room.

I have been making some progress. I have the elctrronics box almost done, with a few minor additions needed. Limit switches, home switches etc. I will be mounting the box, and making up some motor cables in the next couple of days. I am thinking to add a belt drive to the spindle. Does anyone make a kit? What about spindle bearings? Leave them as is, or go for something better?