586,471 active members*
4,432 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > broke down on the side of the road to cincy!

broke down on the side of the road to cincy!

greetings all. need to consult the oracles. i have a cincinatti arrow 500 ere with cincy control. bought her used and ran it for about 40 hours. the computer would crash and restart sporatically and at random. complete reboot everytime. then one day...no booting. screen fires up. but no DOS screen. or blinking lights. all power checks out and I sent the power supply ,for the computer, out and had it gone through by the oem. in britian. $550 later, no change. so I'm at a crossroads. I have $7000 in the pig but she cut great and the geometry was sweet. Do I retrofit, build a new computer and hack it together, or start replacing computer components til i lose my sanity? willing to spend some money but need reliability and longevity to justify the expense. all help appreciated.

Re: broke down on the side of the road to cincy!

Quote Originally Posted by thjourneyman View Post
    ..... had it gone through by the oem. in britian. $550 later, no change......
    does your title mean you are driving thru cinti and broke down? some of us are close and will help give you a ride, get you gas, etc.?

Your post name thingy does not say where you are... Are you in cint? england?

you need to know the oem is NOT in england, but rather cinti.... yes, cmi HAD a production plant in bermingham, england years ago but no more.

if you mean your machine is in cinti area, you have like 85 ex-cmi experts available locally to come help fix you right up - as well as the REAL oem.

Sorry the title was a joke, but thanks for the response. I am in Akron, Ohio so I'm just up the road. When i said oem i meant the company who supplied the power supply to cint. the name of the manufacturer escapes me at the moment but was printed on the inside of the power supply unit. They where an electronics contractor in birmingham that made defense equip, weapon control units, etc. When I called cincinatti they said they don't service that model anymore!?! I would be interested in getting in touch with some local help. Been down too long already.

Yes the title was funny for sure! I loved it

Wow, I would be very interested in who you called at cincti that said not supported anymore! Please share phone no. and name if you have it. I believe they are still actively supporting the arow 500 but may be wrong!

Just an idea on rebooting: I've had computers that did that in past and most of the time it was a bad ram module; if you are like us, you may have ram laying around from other computers - try swapping it?

You spent over $500 to send a $50 power supply on vacation to England? I buy Athena power supplies for around $30. Next time test it yourself, it only puts out 5V and 12V, red wires are 5V and yellow are 12V. These are old school AT supplies not ATX so they have manual power switches that are push-on/push-off so make sure it's on. Sometimes the helpful play with the switch. That being said, the video card can also prevent a mother board from booting and so can the processor chip. If you buy a new power supply make sure it's at least 300 watt.

[]thjourneyman

I know too late for you but can be use full for any one finding this thread later on

unless the AT motherboard needs the -5V supply an adaptor like this will enable you to use an ATX power supply :-

Attachment 267678

you can make your own following this diagram :-

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b812a4dbd.pdf

you can use the two 6 pole AT mother board connectors and wires off the old AT supply and a new inline ATX plug
    ( inline version of connector on ATX motherboard ) and two wires to connect to the on/off switch

NOTE - the power good signal wire is orange on the AT power supply and grey on ATX power supplies

the AT on/off switch needs connecting to the ATX PSU green wire and a black wire

the orange 3V3 wires on the ATX PSU are not used

the white -5V wire is only found on early ATX supplies and not available on later versions

Attachment 267682

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connector_atx_pinout.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	267684

(ATTACH=CONFIG]267688[/ATTACH)

John

Carol was the woman's name. We called the support number in our operator's manual. It's been over a year. When we opened the power supply module we found signs of previous hackedry. The pc board had been rewired with ill fiting caps and had at least 2 jumpers soldered in. This was after 2 supposed "cnc repair experts" from 2 separate, local repair shops told me it was probably a "fuse or something" classic!!! plus Two computer repair shops (full of blank stares and confusion) later. Thats when I decided to get a repair with a warranty. so i believe the power supply is fine. now. Who knows maybe a vacation was what it needed. That being said i do appreciate the advice. Problem is I don't know anything about solid state construction. I'm actually the tube audio repair guy.on the side. that being said our machine shop is a family outfit so repairs fall to me. but this pig has 5 sq.ft of pc board and no live parts. how can i tell one chip from another?

also I saw a guy on ebay selling an arrow 500e that did the same thing. oddly enough it is reported to have very few hours on it!!! he said he replaced "the hard drive" and now it's running but he doesn't know how to reset the parameters etc. no hours and the same failure! sounds like chip substrate or something?

First,are we talking about an A2100 control? Second, does the power supply fan run when you hit the start button? Third, if you want to try swapping RAM you're going to need ancient "fast page" RAM, 60 or 70 nano second, 72 pin. This is the old early Pentium stuff that was used in pairs. It was the RAM that came after the original 8bit stuff used in 386 processors that was used in sets of four. After that came EDO ram and I don't think that will work. Just hitting the basics here. Also I'm pretty sure the supply should be set on 230v.

1) Be sure all modules in the Control Nest are properly seated.
    2) Be sure the CPU fan on the RT and WS CPU Module work. I've had this issue.
    3) You can send the CPU (or whatever type is suspected) card to Siemens Energy & Automation in Lebanon Ohio for evaluation and subsequent repair. They will need the x-xxx-xxxx/x Module number. This number looks like 3-353-0147/A in format (this is not the exact number). This number will be photo etched onto the Module somewhere on maybe placed on a printed sticker on the Module. Call 800-870-8079 and give the person there the details. They'll be able to tell you if the Module Number is correct. They will be able to quote you a repair cost on the phone.