My last project was converting a PM45m (RF45 clone). Exceeding the performance envelope in every way of my Rf45 clone is the base line goal while being on a budget.

Old mill I am going to replace with this build:
Attachment 269762[

I have been accumulating components over the past year. I have come to hate dovetails and am going with linear guides:

THK SHS30 for X axis 18”/700mm travel
THK SHS 20 for Y&Z axis 20”/780mm travel
I am going to be using either THK or NSK -32mm ground ballscrews
Epoxy granite for all major components and use of precision ground steel plates cast in place for the linear rails, servos, ballscrews etc.

Here is the basic design. I am using simple straight forward forms for the molds and incorporating plumbing in the casting to provide for lubrication and cabling:

Attachment 269742

Attachment 269744

THK Linear Guides- I have a longer section of rail coming Monday for the short one:
Attachment 269752

Here is a pic of the mold for the base with the 1/2" thick precision machined steel pads that are being cast in place for the linear guides:
Attachment 269754

The steel is ground to .001" on all sides and 1/2"x3"x36". Each bar weighs a lot. I am aligning the bars and bolting them to each other with the cross members embedded in the epoxy for strength. That way I can pre drill the holes and fix them precisely by bolting them through the mold using coupling nuts which will serve as anchors for them.

Attachment 269756

I have 5 gallons of US Composite 635 and slow hardener coming- I will try to finish the mold for the base this weekend and drill and align the steel pads for the linear guides.

More to follow but I will probably try to go with a 10hp spindle and 10k minimum rpm.

I am still finalizing the epoxy granite mix but have built molds with melanine coated board with composites previously.

This is going to be a heavy machine...

Thanks for looking- suggestions are very much appreciated.

Mark