586,788 active members*
2,780 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SolidCAM for SolidWorks and SolidCAM for Inventor > Solidcam illegal screenshots in error reports. Maybe a class action lawsuit coming?

Exclamation Solidcam illegal screenshots in error reports. Maybe a class action lawsuit coming?

Solidcam / Inventorcam takes screenshots of your desktop, and they screenshot everything! This means they get a picture of all running screen applications and anything you have on your screen! This is illegal and invasion of your private. If you don't believe me wait till your solidcam or inventorcam crashes and click the "View Report" and check out the image fill attached and It will show you the image that is about to get uploaded to them. This also violates and proprietary and confidentiality agreements you have as this will show any working parts on screen shared with SolidCam and or InventorCAM.

I just wanted to inform everyone who uses their software that I think a class action lawsuit will be coming as this is a very serious matter and you may be entitled to compensation as they are violating your privacy!

I will update you on this as soon as I hear more.

Re: Solidcam illegal screenshots in error reports. Maybe a class action lawsuit comin

Since windows 9X (95, 98, xp, 7, 8) note i didn't mention vista here? Very bad! OK my point,

Make sure the window you want to capture is the active (top) window.
    Press Alt+PrtScn.
    Done. This captures only the active window to the clipboard. (Note that, if for some reason you wanted to capture your entire desktop, you could just press the PrtScn key.)

Saving the screen shot
    OK, so you've captured the window. Now what? Well, presumably you want to use it somewhere, so let's save the screen capture to a file. You don't need any fancy graphics software. Just use the accessories already provided in Windows.

Open a new document in Paint (%SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe).
    Paste the captured screen into Paint by pressing Ctrl+V or clicking Edit | Paste.
    In Paint, click Edit | Copy to.
    In the Copy To file dialog, on the Save as type list, select 24-bit Bitmap.
    Give your screen shot a descriptive name and click Save.
    Done. That's it. You've captured a screen shot that can be used almost anywhere.

Send that if you must, only the active (top) window is captured.

Wait, make your desktop all Explorer icons, OK that's funny!

The malwares you encounter daily are doing far more damage. Relax.

Re: Solidcam illegal screenshots in error reports. Maybe a class action lawsuit comin

I understand what you are saying. I meant that they illegally take a screenshot everything including your entire desktop, this mean that if you are working on a part and it crashes or they want to download your software license to validate it, they can see everything. I do agree that the malware we encounter daily is more damaging and we cant do anything about it besides download a anti-malware program.. But we are talking about a professional company here. We do a lot of aerospace work that has signed confidentiality agreements with the clients. That being said Solidcam sends the data overseas to their developers and tech team in Israel . Israel how little to no copyright laws so it raises a concern as this could release information into the wrong hands. Sorry If don't make since but privacy is privacy and should not be violated, especially with a software that you pay for.

I don't see it. Here is my desktop, take anything you want from it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	269626

Close the thing? I don't know what the issue is. Watch outgoing, shut down the ports related to their software? "Net admin! I need help!" Scrap solidcam?

They seriously take screenshots of peoples computers and send them to their company? I can't believe they're not being taken to task over that!

That's pretty amazing behaviour.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

that is illegal they are only meant to get the info to do with the crash whats on your screen`s got nothing to do with that, Stucapco if someone`s doing something for the DOD and they get a shoot of its that`s a hole bigger problem
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My solidcam crashes sometimes when I have to select many small lines for an small engraving operation. Luckily I didn't send the error report and after reading this I went back to my solidcam and clicked VIEW REPORT like you said and wa-lah, there was the jpg file. I clicked the jpg file and it had a pic of my dual monitors up. Right side was my email and left side was the gun part we were working on in solidcam! We do gun parts and sell to some clients that deal with the military so we have very strict rules for sharing any information here to anyone on the outside. This really scares me and I will call solidcam tomorrow to see what they have to say about this! I mean this is considered illegal right? We have had post processors made by them and they always say it takes a few days because the tech department is over seas. This raises a huge concern for our company as we would be held liable for any information leaked out. After reading the license agreement is does not say anything about a screenshot!

I am completely shocked as we have used this software for 2 yrs now! (chair)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot308 View Post
    My solidcam crashes sometimes when I have to select many small lines for an small engraving operation. Luckily I didn't send the error report and after reading this I went back to my solidcam and clicked VIEW REPORT like you said and wa-lah, there was the jpg file. I clicked the jpg file and it had a pic of my dual monitors up. Right side was my email and left side was the gun part we were working on in solidcam! We do gun parts and sell to some clients that deal with the military so we have very strict rules for sharing any information here to anyone on the outside. This really scares me and I will call solidcam tomorrow to see what they have to say about this! I mean this is considered illegal right? We have had post processors made by them and they always say it takes a few days because the tech department is over seas. This raises a huge concern for our company as we would be held liable for any information leaked out. After reading the license agreement is does not say anything about a screenshot!

I am completely shocked as we have used this software for 2 yrs now! (chair)
    I think EULA's are like a lot of basic consumer laws, even if they state nice and clearly in the EULA that they take screenshots of personal info and job details from the desktop, in most developed countries that wouldn't trump the basic consumer and privacy laws which would very clearly forbid the practice. I couldn't see this as anything but highly illegal, and incredibly stupid on their part. The web is full of stories of companies doing similar things, and the fines and bad press that result.

I work in IT and this most definitely wouldn't be considered trivial, it is nothing but a gross invasion of privacy. The proper way for any program to report back would be to simply do a dump of the binaries and application logs or traces, what libraries were called, and what failed. Nothing more.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

It is much more serious then this. we are not talking on your desktop at home. there are companies with NDA, industrial patents, Army and much more... and even for you... I challange you to open VNC server in view mode only on your PC and share the link here :-)

Ok SO! At first we thought we had nothing to worry about that they really didn't capture your screen... Today we were programing a confidential part for an on going military contract we have and boom!, solidcam crashed and so we decided to upload screenshots of the error report and what they capture. This scared the crap out of us... After seeing this we are ditching solidcam as this would end our contract due to breeching the non disclosure agreement that we have signed. And to top it off we called solidcam and asked then where does the error report go and they said it goes to their software engineers. We asked where that was at and they said they same people that wrote the post processors oveseas!!! This would cost us a lot of money from losing this contract! Check out the attached screenshots that we have gathered!

The report is 679kb! This is rather large for just some text right!?
    Click on the "What does this report contain?" and you will shocked!
    It captured all 3 of my monitors, it had my email on the left, solidcam open in the center monitor (with the part there), and my bank account was open on the right monitor!!

This is a big company and something needs to be done. I have read through the copy of the software agreements and NO WHERE does it say that private information or screen captures will be used in the error reports!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot0.jpg  

well at lest you hopefully wont lose your contract that is really bad that they do that can you do them for it. hell if the DOD found out that might cost a few company's there contracts
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

simplest would be replacing all solidcam to mastercam

at least in the keyindustries.. not really clear how solidcam can get opportunity in government projects..

go with an American program and its done..

it is not accidentally a programming error..
    it is intentionally made, and regardless what they try t to explaining after all, it was wrong

a lawsuit might makes temporary something, but if they made this without warning then what guarantee that in future they don't?
    crime folks wont change

I just crashed again last week and I took some screenshots of the error and it just tears my gut up to think that if I was to press "send report" like most people it would send all this critical info to them solidcam team and most importantly over seas to Iran!!

https://gyazo.com/7213017ced628e950ebf4234616f8b8f
    https://gyazo.com/3a8dc2d4d5da83d825f338a0bd154cb1
    https://gyazo.com/516db071df9e0a0a94957cf119dee837

When SolidCAM say it's going overseas they mean Israel. That is where their headquarters are. When you bought SolidCAM did you get them to sign a NDA?

And the screen shots are optional now . You can choose not to include the screen shots in the error report !

Do you really have critical machines hooked up permanently to the internet !
    Where I work most of the PC's don't go anywhere near the internet and all files are transferred around using flash drives only a couple of
    machines used for email and internet etc are hooked up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wood View Post
    Do you really have critical machines hooked up permanently to the internet !
    Where I work most of the PC's don't go anywhere near the internet and all files are transferred around using flash drives only a couple of
    machines used for email and internet etc are hooked up
    Our workstations have to be hooked up to the Internet because the software licences are regularly 'phoning home' to check that the licence is valid. A lot of software will not be fully featured unless connected. Many companies fear flash drives far more than the Internet because with the latter the network admin can set up rules saying which sites are allowed and all network transactions are logged. If someone introduces a virus or illegally copies confidential information using a flash drive it can a lot harder tracking down who it was (but isn't to say it cannot be done).

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk