587,003 active members*
2,755 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Newb Questions (Whats New?)

Newb Questions (Whats New?)

I am venturing into CNC for the first time. I have been doing as much research as possible before asking questions. My choice of a milling machine is a Grizzly G0704. It looks like there are a lot of parts out there to convert this machine.
    I have a basic part list compiled, and am looking for yeah or nay as to my selections. Any additional items, feel free to let me know.
    KL23H2100-50-4B 570 Oz-in Stepper Motor
    KL-8060 Driver
    KL-600-48 Power Supply
    Motor Cable, 12 Ft $20
    IP40 NEMA34 Back cover
    Mount Kit / Ballscrews (by a particular seller)

I have noticed some kits come with a NEMA34 motor for the Z axis rather than a NEMA23. If this is better, by all means let me know.

I am also thinking of a touch probe, as a better alternative to an adge finder.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Newb Questions (Whats New?)

A lot of us use the 570 on the Z axis with no probs. Have you checked out Hoss's website for his recommendations ?
    Stoner #1

Quote Originally Posted by bladehunter View Post
    A lot of us use the 570 on the Z axis with no probs. Have you checked out Hoss's website for his recommendations ?
    Yes, and I have no more answers than I did before.

Yeah a touch probe will make life easier, not having a pendant with a wheel makes using an edge finder a little more difficult, for me anyways, than it was when the mill was manual. Actually I think I'll go with a Hamier (I don't drink, so 12 months of saved beer tokens should pay for it) and a pendant.

Basically if you more or less follow Hoss's electronic package suggestions you can't go wrong.

Just speaking from experience and personal preference I choose a BOB that has screw connectors over the RJ45 connectors, Your experience may differ.

Oh yeah if you have to grind the table to get the ballscrew to fit, consider getting a mate with a big mill or a machine shop to get it done. But since the G0704 appears to have thinner castings than the BF20 it may not take a whole weekend to get it done.

If you are using a BDTools mount kit go for a bit of extra length on the Z Axis ballscrew (if possible).

And seriously think about having the spindle controlled via your CNC software.
    Stoner #1

I'm not sure who is "BDTools" you mention, but the ball screw kit I am considering is sold by Automation Tech, and I saw the note somewhere with a pic of the clearance needed on the Y axis. I can use my trusty home spun "mill" lol. It has done a lot of parts for me. So- you are suggesting I need a BOB as well? The screw connectors would be the DB9 type, that look like a serial computer port?
    I will look again at Hoss' page to see if I have missed something there. There does seem to be a coding or some other issue, as some of the pics are right over the top of the text, making hard to follow.
    A pendant or some sort of controller is definitely on my list. I don't want a machine with handles bolted to the end of the motor for manual control.
    Well, it's off to see the wizard, and see what kind of stuff I can use

I have a BD Tools (an ebay seller out of Louisiana IIRC) set up on my G0704 and am very happy. Billy makes a great product at a very reasonable price. That being said, there are a few decent quality kits at about the same price point.

I run a Nema 34 on the Z but have no doubt the Nema 23 570 is plenty. I have been surprised at how powerful little steppers can be.

Wildhorse Innovations or Arnie sells a nice electronic probe that is hard to beat for the price. Of course Hoss shows an electrically isolated rod as a probe that works very well.

Also a decent Shuttle Pro is a great pendant til you know better. There are many little things that add up quickly. Take your time, enjoy.
    A lazy man does it twice.