586,960 active members*
2,815 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tormach News

Page 6 of 18 4567816

Re: Tormach News

Would this new hardware Tormach is adding to the controller computer mean that Tormach could add a fifth axis?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Mach 3 gets a bad rap. It actually runs all of my machines without error.
    I am also intrigued as to what these MACH3 bugs are. I have never had issues with it. Well actually, there was one time in which my system was all messed up and I was losing steps like crazy! But then I rebooted the PC and it was all back to normal. The PC had been running for well over a week, so I think this was related to Windows and some other process getting stuck in memory. That was the only time, and I don't think it was MACH3's fault.

On the other hand, the new controller looks very nice. I may eventually migrate to it just out of curiosity, not because I need it or because MACH3 is making my life miserable, which it isn't.

One thing we need to keep in mind, however, is that computers change with time and SW can only follow. Whenever Windows makes a few releases, whatever we have is a goner. Windows XP is no longer supported so I will be transitioning to Windows 7 on my next controller. But Windows 7 is also practically obsolete! I don't want to even think about Crapdows 8.1 and I am not holding my breath on Windows 10. I think migrating to Linux is not a bad idea at all!
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

I was one of the early-beta sites. Now that we are allowed to talk about it, I for one will not be switching back to Mach-- even though I have the Mach PC right next to the system ready to be plugged in and even though my particular touchscreen is a PITA to make work in Linux. Mach worked well enough for me, most of the time (every now and then it would suddenly switch to metric), but this system is better and seems a lot more solid and has a lot more future-proofing than an old desktop getting by on a parallel port and hacked up Windows.

I did have to tweak my post to not-output things that LinuxCNC didn't like. I forget exactly what and the list of what didn't work shortened considerably during the early beta period (while it looks like a reskinned LinuxCNC at the high level, there has been a lot of tweaking and fixes and changes done by Tormach. The ATC code is also ported over and works well). There should eventually be documentation forthcoming on the differences and there's a nice red error to tell you what code is objectionable as soon as it's loaded, so it should be a quick fix even without documentation.

I don't know if it's officially supported, but the PathPilot works well in a networked environment-- I post code directly to the controller from another PC via a built-in Samba share.

New users will have to learn the UI-- there are a few things different from Mach, but as long as all my change requests got in, it should have pretty much the same features There are a few quirks, but hopefully everybody with a beta will now pester Tormach about them.

Btw, unless there's a utility to convert them over (I know nothing of that), you'll likely lose the tool table entries and ATC assignments, so print your tool table (Tormach has an app for that) and empty the ATC before moving over, but that's a one-time deal.

Quote Originally Posted by treyjugson View Post
    There is a big ad at the top of my page about PathPilot. Once again proves Tormach is on top of their game and a leader in this industry. Just wait though. we'll hear how the buggy Mach 3 still used by the competition is suddenly the BEST choice.lmao
    Yeah, you nailed it.

How many versions was it you tried recently before you found one that would home correctly? http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako...n-360-a-4.html there are no new ones coming to try next time, just saying.

What issues are there with the touchscreen?

Shred

What post are you using and what CAM

Dave

Just ordered mine! This is good timing since I'm just about to start setting up the machine (2012 PCNC 1100-3) I purchased in December.

Question for folks out there (sent same question to Tormach but have not heard back).

I am wanting to remove the current hard drive in my Tormach controller and replace it with a new drive (possibly a SSD). This way if I run into any real problems, I can always put the old drive back in and run the system from that.

Will the new software install kit allow me to put a whole new drive on the system or will this screw me up on drivers for things like the keyboard and such?

Thanks!
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Just ordered mine! This is good timing since I'm just about to start setting up the machine (2012 PCNC 1100-3) I purchased in December.

Question for folks out there (sent same question to Tormach but have not heard back).

I am wanting to remove the current hard drive in my Tormach controller and replace it with a new drive (possibly a SSD). This way if I run into any real problems, I can always put the old drive back in and run the system from that.

Will the new software install kit allow me to put a whole new drive on the system or will this screw me up on drivers for things like the keyboard and such?

Thanks!
    It would be best to call Tormach, but I assume if you installed the hard drive before booting from the CD and installing the operating system, you should end up with the same files regardless of magnetic or SSD disk.

Thanks!
    PathPilot is Linux-based, so would have no use for Windows drivers of any kind. The installer presumably boots from CD/DVD, so should not care what state the hard drive is in, as long as it's accessible. You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying it - worst thing that could happen is it won't install, and you put the old drive back in.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    PathPilot is Linux-based, so would have no use for Windows drivers of any kind. The installer presumably boots from CD/DVD, so should not care what state the hard drive is in, as long as it's accessible. You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying it - worst thing that could happen is it won't install, and you put the old drive back in.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Sorry, looks like I might not have ask the right question. I was mainly concerned of was there anything else needed for the install if you were loading onto a virgin drive. Never worked on the Linux based systems before so I'm not sure how they operate.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Sorry, looks like I might not have ask the right question. I was mainly concerned of was there anything else needed for the install if you were loading onto a virgin drive. Never worked on the Linux based systems before so I'm not sure how they operate.
    Most likely not. Most Linux installers are perfectly happy installing to a bare drive. Worst case, you need to partition it first, but I'd expect the installer will even do that for you.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    It would be best to call Tormach, .....
    Couldn't agree more, unless someone with a lot of linux experience chimes in like samco or sansbury.

Mach3 works pretty well for me too, but there are a few really characteristics of it that really annoy me. PathPilot will probably deal with those so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jabs1542 View Post
    A few PathPilt questions - for those who have ordered:
    2) Will it come with wizards, particularly the Newfangled wizard?
    Newfangled Wizards are a 3rd party add-o designed to work with Mach3, so it doesn't seem likely that the Newfangled Wizards would work with PathPilot and they certainly won't come with PathPilot. They didn't even come with Mach3 and have to be purchased separately. It does look like PathPilot comes with some form of Conversational Wizards.

Mike

My worry is that I have my CAD system in the office, and the controller out in the office. I used dropbox to share files and that has worked flawlessly. There is dropbox for linux, I just hope it's not so locked down that you cannot install it.

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    What issues are there with the touchscreen?
    The particular 3M Touchscreen I have is difficult to get running under Linux. A standard USB-HID device should be OK. The PathPilot UI is designed to be touch-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
    Shred

What post are you using and what CAM

Dave
    It's a heavily modified 3AxisVMill post for BCC V25.

The PathPilot does come with some conversational wizards although my beta focus was elsewhere so I can't speak to them with any authority.

Quote Originally Posted by KSky View Post
    My worry is that I have my CAD system in the office, and the controller out in the office. I used dropbox to share files and that has worked flawlessly. There is dropbox for linux, I just hope it's not so locked down that you cannot install it.
    I was told that networking can be used between the office and the machine computers, I didnt ask about dropbox, I wa told that Tormach has two linux guys on staff.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    The particular 3M Touchscreen I have is difficult to get running under Linux. A standard USB-HID device should be OK. The PathPilot UI is designed to be touch-friendly.
    I see that the 3M support site (3M Touch Systems Support 3M US: Electronic Solutions : 3M United States ) has both 32 and 64 bit Linux user mode drivers and a configuration utility for my touch screen. Any idea what flavour/version of Linux Tormach is shipping? Would you be willing to share what you did to get your screen working?

I had my son look at my lathe software last night and it was Ubuntu and gnome or something like that. I know nothing about Linux but I can probably get him to answer any basic questions you have. We where able to get to the desktop mode and use the terminal.

Check with Tormach. Installing a SSD requires a little fiddling to setup TRIM in Linux. I'm actually going to install a SSD drive in a spare computer with LinuxCNC this weekend...we will see how much I goof up
    pete

Page 6 of 18 4567816