586,655 active members*
3,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tormach News

Page 8 of 18 678910

Re: Tormach News

The only problem I have had is random feedholds... at least once every time I use the machine. Always on a line with G00 (never while cutting), annoying, but doesn't hurt anything. But I have an order in for PathPilot anyhow.

My plan was to throw a new HDD in my controller and install Pathpilot on that... so it would be easy to back out to Mach3 if I wanted to do that.

Incidentally, once I open my controller up, I was surprised to find it was more modern than I expected... H61 chipset with 1155 CPU on the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-H61M-52PV).

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    By far the best tool I've seen for testing G-code is CutViewer mill. It will run the code, and give you a 3D animation of the machining process, and a 3D model of the machined part you can even measure for correct dimension
    Thanks for the tip, I will have to check it out. The animations within HSMWorks are very good, but the viewer they have to check out the post-processed g-code stinks. A better program would be nice.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I see there's a new addition to the FAQ which states that existing post processors will work with PathPilot.

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi MD. Well its sounds that I might be alone in checking my code on the office computer before loading into the Tormach control. Why? Well I do run the code first with my Bobcadcam simulator, but I usually also run the first few lines on my office computer via mach3 to check tool entry/heights etc - clamp clearance etc. am I alone in doing this?
    Keen
    I did this for a while and used it to check ME and how I set sprutcam up for operations. A bad value like drill a hole from bottom up values and top down operation would simulate just fine and crash mach requiring a system reboot
    Also a few other errors like that, I found I could spot these when loading the g-code and looking at tool paths generated on screen "even if its a mess of thousands of lines and it did not crash". I noticed it displays rapid movements to edge of limits. I see those and I know its back to the computer there is something very wrong.
    As others have mentioned there are programs to review tool paths, I think g-wizard Bob also has one and would consider such tools for this if I was having problems of any type that I could not figure out.
    md

I sometimes hand code stuff and am looking forward to using the B-spline, repeat, parameters, etc in LinuxCNC. Do any of the simulators handle those goodies? Incidentally Marcus Bowman's book "CNC Milling the Workshop" gives some good info on the differences between Mach3 and LinuxCNC.

Related to the new machine control: Jog Pendant

So I chatted with Tormach online and they said only their shuttlejog is supported. It sucks and I want to use something else. I have 2 lathes and 2 of their mills. I get by on the lathe with the shuttle but use 360 controllers on the mills. What options will we have here? Custom linux drivers?

There are a few Linux pendants around but none that look nearly as nice as my VistaCNC. I emailed support at VistaCNC and they seem to be looking into what is required. From the webinar thought that the VistaCNC pendant didn't have a real eStop button which is definitely false. I expect that the more users who express our concerns regarding lack of support the more likely support will happen. Being touch screen friendly is claimed to be an important feature of PathPilot yet they offer no details of which screens are supported. Please let Tormach know your concerns!

Its probably possible support most USB HID devices in hal with hal_input but not for the faint of heart:

LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: Simple Remote Pendant

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    There are a few Linux pendants around but none that look nearly as nice as my VistaCNC. I emailed support at VistaCNC and they seem to be looking into what is required. From the webinar thought that the VistaCNC pendant didn't have a real eStop button which is definitely false. I expect that the more users who express our concerns regarding lack of support the more likely support will happen. Being touch screen friendly is claimed to be an important feature of PathPilot yet they offer no details of which screens are supported. Please let Tormach know your concerns!
    Sounds like you seem to think it's Tormachs responsibility to provide drivers for your vistacnc pendant and your choice of touchscreen. Don't be silly. It behooves Vistacnc to get off their butt and provide drivers for THEIR product, they are the one who needs your concern expressed to. There are many other non Tormach users out there using linuxcnc that they could sell pendants too. I would imagine too that Tormach will offer an approved touchscreen in a matter of time but you are perfectly able to go get one yourself that is known to work with linxcnc,It would not have to be PathPilot use only, there are youtube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    From what I read the pci card is equal to a parallel type port and the machine is connected to it.
    The pictures don't show this port on back and leave me guessing also.

Keen!
    I don't understand what mach does with tool paths that you would need to load g-code and look at it!
    What do you do with it?
    md
    The card is a PCI or PCI-E FPGA Card. It can act like a parallel port (pin out wise), or a custom I/O Card. It has a 25 Pin parallel port style connector on it, and a 26 pin header internal for additional IO. It's designed to offload the Step/Dir pulse generation from the PC CPU and with additional hardware (Breakout Board Wise) more I/O. Unlike Motion controllers for Mach 3 which have Mach 3 Drip Feed the G-code to them and other strange methods (which takes the Trajectory Planning and G-code processing etc out of the PC Controllers hands and places it into the 3rd party motion controllers control) the new card (MESA 5i25/6i25) receives the instructions from PathPilot (LinuxCNC) and converts them into the proper step/dir pulse train needed to drive the steppers The PC Controller stays 100% in control of the G-Code and TP and everything associated with it. This will help with older CPU's and reduce if not eliminate dropped steps due to PC issues. Might even help increase the max IPM if was limited by kernel Mhz speed. I will say this. I'm happy for you guys. Moving away from Windows and Mach3 is a good decision on Tormach's part. I think overall you guys will be very happy with the new control software and hardware. They're are LinuxCNC drivers for the HB04 style Pendants. I'm not sure if PathPilot will support it or not without mucking around with the underlying configuration files.

Thanks, Connor
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Quote Originally Posted by treyjugson View Post
    Sounds like you seem to think it's Tormachs responsibility to provide drivers for your vistacnc pendant and your choice of touchscreen. Don't be silly. It behooves Vistacnc to get off their butt and provide drivers for THEIR product, they are the one who needs your concern expressed to. There are many other non Tormach users out there using linuxcnc that they could sell pendants too. I would imagine too that Tormach will offer an approved touchscreen in a matter of time but you are perfectly able to go get one yourself that is known to work with linxcnc,It would not have to be PathPilot use only, there are youtube videos.
    As mentioned in my post I *HAVE* contacted VistaCNC and asked that they add support for PathPilot. However, I expect that they will need some information from Tormach to implement support so nagging from both ends may help. Probably the best possible outcome would be for Tormach to drop their pathetic pendant and sell the VistaCNC one.

I never mentioned expecting Tormach to support my touch screen. It is five years old and I'm quite willing to purchase a new one. In a previous life I earned my living developing realtime software so I can probably install a special driver but I shouldn't have to. I and many others would probably prefer to get a turnkey setup that just works and allows them to concentrate on making chips. If Tormach wants to market their products as appliances I expect them to, at a minimum, provide a list of what is supported out-of-the-box so that users can purchase something that will work without hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    I will say this. I'm happy for you guys. Moving away from Windows and Mach3 is a good decision on Tormach's part. I think overall you guys will be very happy with the new control software and hardware. They're are LinuxCNC drivers for the HB04 style Pendants. I'm not sure if PathPilot will support it or not without mucking around with the underlying configuration files.

Thanks, Connor
    I agree, Tormach is the leader in this field and this should prove beneficial for both Tormach and the Linuxcnc community. Time will no doubt bring further developments for using their other supported products with Linux, maybe not quite realistic to expect them to provide developments for competitors products but who knows, it's very early yet.

Unlike Motion controllers for Mach 3 which have Mach 3 Drip Feed the G-code to them and other strange methods (which takes the Trajectory Planning and G-code processing etc out of the PC Controllers hands and places it into the 3rd party motion controllers
    With a motion controller, Mach3 still processes the g-code and uses it's own trajectory planner. It just sends low level commands to the the motion controller which then converts those commands to step/dir pulses.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

its is a hate M3 thread so far so some people will just give an opinion that's wrong but as I have said in other places half the problem was the computer tormach used also locking people out of the settings with there screen set probable was part of the problem too that's easy to fix get the start icon from an non tormach screen set and replace the one in c drive it gives full control back to the operator.

but this new controller will be better in different ways since it is different.

M4 is also a very good program it works better than M3 even with it not finished freehold works, soft limits work like a dream
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Any one know if there is some place one can download the draft manual for PathPilot. Would like to review the manual before my upgrade arrives. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    its is a hate M3 thread so far so some people will just give an opinion that's wrong but as I have said in other places half the problem was the computer tormach used also locking people out of the settings with there screen set probable was part of the problem too that's easy to fix get the start icon from an non tormach screen set and replace the one in c drive it gives full control back to the operator.

M4 is also a very good program it works better than M3 even with it not finished freehold works, soft limits work like a dream
    Oh this is just silly too, this is not a bash mach 3 thread. Many including Tormach users have said they like mach 3. Where is it written on the Tormach website that users can ONLY use their controller with mach 3 and now Path Pilot, nowhere. You are free to use whatever you want but if you want support from them it is absolutely justifiable that you use a product they've developed for use with the Tormach. This is, if you have bothered to read the whitepapers, the reason for developing Path Pilot, to have control enough to ensure the customer has the best in reliability. Nothing is stopping you from buying a Tormach, hooking up some adhoc pc system with your choice of control software. Plenty here do it, some already using linuxcnc, sansbury comes to mind but you can't fault Tormach for not wanting to try to support all of those controllers, just too many parts and combinations to make that realistic. Mach 3 is dead, Mach 4 is better but developing at a snails pace, Tormach made a great decision with Path Pilot and linux.

Yes overall, and in the long run, It is fantastic news that Tormach have chosen to invest in Linux/Pathpilot. That must have been a huge decision for them/Greg. If thousands of hours have been spent and experts have been employed at... $100 per hour? or more? that's really big money. Obviously a long term strategic move. But still, a courageous decision, and one to be applauded. Existing Tormach owners are really fortunate.

You mat have noticed from my language that software/computers/IT don't come naturally to old fellas like me - (Toolmaking/mechanical engineering/machine tool design are my strengths), so I should probably hold back a little, and let others find any remaining bugs etc, and then make the change in a few months. Keen

Here is some good news posted by nyccnc in his comments section on his video review of PathPilot:

Quote Originally Posted by NYCCNC
    Does feed hold actually work now with this? In my brief experience, YES! AND... get this... I have had to hit estop twice - both times it retained perfect x y z zero - now that my just be luck... but nevertheless something that didn't happen ever in mach
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

its is a hate M3 thread so far so some people will just give an opinion that's wrong
    this isn't a religious war, there is no "hate", perhaps his opinion was misinformed, but still, there is no war is going on here...

Tormach is offering a painless LinuxCNC (or whatever they are calling it) upgrade for a reasonably insignificant amount of $$$, based on the available specs it does appear to be superior to Mach 3...
    and it appears to be more up to date... graphics even look nicer...
    is there any reason to believe Mach3 is superior to the current LinuxCNC?
    or are we not suppose to upgrade just because "mach3 isn't so bad"?

but as I have said in other places half the problem was the computer tormach used also locking people out of the settings with there screen set probable was part of the problem too that's easy to fix get the start icon from an non tormach screen set and replace the one in c drive it gives full control back to the operator.
    whats wrong with the computer they used? mine seems fine to me, and with the add on Mesa card it should be even better...
    as for Mach, I could just install the full Mach at anytime... the "lock" doesn't really lock anything...
    but again, is the claim that unlocked Mach3 is superior to LinuxCNC? I have non-locked Mach3 on my little fireball router... I would guess I would describe it as "Not That Bad", but again, why should I settle for "Not That Bad"

um...
    sure...
    I guess that is what different means:idea:

when will it be finished and how much will it cost?
    the upgrade path never ends... there are always room for more options...

My apologies if this has been covered already, but will Path Pilot support REAL, FULL G41/G42 cutter comp? I genrally program (at work) with zero offset in the computer, full offset in the control. (If I have a 1/2" end mill, I put .500 in my tool table.)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by quapman View Post
    My apologies if this has been covered already, but will Path Pilot support REAL, FULL G41/G42 cutter comp? I genrally program (at work) with zero offset in the computer, full offset in the control. (If I have a 1/2" end mill, I put .500 in my tool table.)

Thanks.
    From what I understand it will work in Pathpilot. They have another webinar today at 6pm and a QA session at the end of it.
    mike sr

Page 8 of 18 678910