586,430 active members*
3,925 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tormach News

Page 11 of 18 910111213

Re: Tormach News

Tormach just posted updated chapters 5-7 for the manual (draft version), which has PathPilot instructions.

http://www.tormach.com/uploads/897/U...A_5-7-pdf.html
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Looks like no joy for dual boot, the disc supplied is an image, not an install. No option of dual boot. Maybe if you install Windows/Mach after Path Pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Tormach just posted updated chapters 5-7 for the manual (draft version), which has PathPilot instructions.

http://www.tormach.com/uploads/897/U...A_5-7-pdf.html
    Are chapter 1-4 available?

been looking through the new version of lunixCNC very simaller to pathpilot and some of the conversational stuff is on the forum so a DIY version of pathpilot is very posable
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Are chapter 1-4 available?
    I am sure they are rewriting the whole manual, but they started with chapter 5 since that is where they really started diving into details of use of the CNC software, and having those chapters available would be valuable to all their customers who want to dive into using PathPilot.
    Tim

I read thru most of the new manual, I didnt see tool #1 listed as a touch tool. I like to use #1 with an indicator in it to set the Z height on the part, hopefully that will be the same as in Mach3......

I didnt see a reference all button referred to, just the ability to reference any or all axes at one time,by clicking all the buttons.

Nothing like something new to play with ha!
    mike sr

Has any one received there Path Pilot package from Tormach.

Mine was shipped today..
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I read thru most of the new manual, I didnt see tool #1 listed as a touch tool. I like to use #1 with an indicator in it to set the Z height on the part, hopefully that will be the same as in Mach3......I didnt see a reference all button referred to, just the ability to reference any or all axes at one time,by clicking all the buttons
    The draft manual doesn't completely replace the existing chapters 5-7.

The old manual showed using the indicator tool in section 6.2.1.1. The new manual starts with section 6.13. Maybe they just haven't got around to rewriting the section with the indicator tool yet. Regardless, I see no reason why continuing to name Tool#1 as the indicator tool couldn't be done with PathPilot.

It doesn't look like REF ALL is incorporated into PathPilot. Maybe that will be added in a later version? Looking at the PathPilot screens, i don't see that anywhere.

Mine was shipped today..
    Shipped priority mail today, expected delivery Saturday.
    Tim

So west coasters are looking at early next week

Dave

You're lucky! I ordered on announcement day and my card was charged several days ago yet my order still shows as "Pending shipment". I suspect that demand exceeded their expectations.

The other thing I note is they talk about measuring tools off line with there height gauge and surface plate or using there expensive electronic tool setter. They don't talk about using the height gauge you have and entering the numbers manually.

I won't miss the Ref all because I Ref one at a time.

Dave

You can whack the ref buttons for each axis in rapid succession and the axis' all move and ref at the same time (various features will error without being referenced, so Mach users that got out of the habit will need to get back into it)

I don't think there's a defined 'master' tool number per-se. I use tool #99 for a Haimer and that works pretty well, but I could use tool 1 or whatever else. I put the Haimer in, enter 99 into the tool # and zero the part, tapping the axis zero buttons as I go, then pop out the Haimer and hit 'start'. I measure tools off-line with my own height gauge/surface plate and type length numbers into the tool table (which is in the 'offsets' tab, btw). Works about the same as Mach there although the tool description isn't usually visible in the UI.

I use an el cheapo indicator for tool #1, I guess any tool number would work as well. I wasnt too impressed with the spindle nose on the block of wood example they used for the PCNC machining example ha!
    mike sr

What is the range of tool numbers allowed in PathPilot? I'd like to setup ranges of tool numbers to simplfy things. Perhaps 9999 has the setup tool if possible. Does the tool table display all possible entries or only the ones used?

IIRC there's ~256 tools allowed now (previously in the beta the number was much smaller.. you can thank the beta testers for convincing Tormach that needed fixing).

The tool table shows both empty and full slots so you can enter or edit tools right there. Scrolling around would be tedious with 9999 entries .

I wasnt too impressed with the spindle nose on the block of wood example they used for the PCNC machining example ha!
    That is in the original manual as well.

I just don't see the point; looks like a good way to damage something. Much easier to touch off an indicator tool off the workpiece that has a small contact area to set z axis work offset. I guess touching the spindle nose would allow you to accurately measure the length of your reference tool, but it really isn't a necessary step.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    You can whack the ref buttons for each axis in rapid succession and the axis' all move and ref at the same time (various features will error without being referenced, so Mach users that got out of the habit will need to get back into it)

I don't think there's a defined 'master' tool number per-se. I use tool #99 for a Haimer and that works pretty well, but I could use tool 1 or whatever else. I put the Haimer in, enter 99 into the tool # and zero the part, tapping the axis zero buttons as I go, then pop out the Haimer and hit 'start'. I measure tools off-line with my own height gauge/surface plate and type length numbers into the tool table (which is in the 'offsets' tab, btw). Works about the same as Mach there although the tool description isn't usually visible in the UI.
    Shred

It sounds like you have been beta testing PP for a while now. So if I understand correctly in the tool table the tool length is in fact the tool length offset and not the PTL. In the Mach3 screen set I use now I enter the PTL tool length and add or subtract that from the master tool length to get the TLO tool length offset, that then gets entered into the TLO field in the tool table. G43 then adds or subtracts that to the Z0
    With my Mach3 screens when a tool change occurs I get a screen that tells me the tool number and the description. Once I have the new tool in the spindle I just click on the cycle start on that screen and away it goes. That description is a great double check that the correct tool is in the spindle. I will miss that. Can we bug Tormach to add that to PP.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
    Shred

It sounds like you have been beta testing PP for a while now. So if I understand correctly in the tool table the tool length is in fact the tool length offset and not the PTL. In the Mach3 screen set I use now I enter the PTL tool length and add or subtract that from the master tool length to get the TLO tool length offset, that then gets entered into the TLO field in the tool table. G43 then adds or subtracts that to the Z0
    With my Mach3 screens when a tool change occurs I get a screen that tells me the tool number and the description. Once I have the new tool in the spindle I just click on the cycle start on that screen and away it goes. That description is a great double check that the correct tool is in the spindle. I will miss that. Can we bug Tormach to add that to PP.

Dave

Exactly what the length numbers in the tool table measure depends entirely on how YOU choose to use it. For one person, it might be the distance from the spindle nose to the tool tip. For another, it might be the difference between the length of a given tool, and the length of a reference or master tool. There are about a billion different ways of dealing with tool length, and all of them work just fine. Despite what some people insist, there is no one "right" way to do it. You have to figure out how you want to do it, and just do it that way. But, if it takes a lot of time or effort, you really should re-think your method, because it really should be very quick and very easy.

Why tool length is such a mysterious process to so many, I don't understand. The concept is incredibly simple. Measuring, and setting, the length of a tool takes only seconds. Doing it for a whole set of tools for running a jobs should take no more than a few minutes. I can setup a dozen tools in probably 3 minutes tops, including loading them into my ATC. I don't understand comments about replacing a tool taking a half hour. When I break a tool, it takes me no more than two minutes to replace it, measure it, update the tool table, and start cutting again. If it takes longer than that, you're doing something very wrong.

Regards,
    Ray L.

If you understand something its easy, if you dont understand it its hard, simple, just takes some time.

I am one that cannot stop the program, replace the tool, measure it, enter it into the tool table, reset the program, rezero everything, restart the program at the speed of light either, its called the Mach 3 and old age syndrome ha!

Hopefully the new Pathpilot software will make it all easier in this regard.
    mike sr

Page 11 of 18 910111213