586,677 active members*
2,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Here is a program we created for generating G-code for Drilling and T/C Tapping

Here is a program we created for generating G-code for Drilling and T/C Tapping

Hello everybody. I have found this forum and the people on it very helpful and I think there is a wealth of knowledge here. I am hoping I can show you guys something we have been working on and be able to give back.
    We have created a small program that we use for generating the G-code for drilling and tapping holes. We have had some jobs come through that require a lot of tapping and our Mastercam machine file does not support rigid tapping. So we generated a small program to generate the G-code and used a tension/compression tapping head to do the tapped holes.

Currently the program outputs the correct code for our machine (a Tormach PCNC1100) using a G81 through G84 Canned Cycles. Because of the delay at the bottom of the hole when the spindle reverses direction the T/C head gets stretched a little, but we have had no issues so far. The next version of the program will generate the code to manually plunge, stop, reverse, wait, and then retract, and this should eliminate the stretch on the T/C head. The program will also do drilling before the tapped holes as well as just standard drilling. It can auto-generate grid and circular patterns and has a graphing ability to view them. It has options for spot, clearance, coolant and more. Here is a short instructional video showing what it can do:

http://www.youtu.be/Qlp5jzpEr-I

And here is a fun video of generating 462 holes in only 3:30 from beginning to end, and with the use of no other software than our own.

The program is hosted on our website for download FOR FREE, just download the zip file and then run the .exe, there is a defaults .txt file that can be configured to load default settings but we will go over that later if there is interest. We just want to see if this is helpful to anyone else and get some feedback. If it is helpful we can do instruction videos for any of the other features if anyone is interested in it. If you have any features you think would be good to add or if you have any questions just contact us and let us know.

Re: Here is a program we created for generating G-code for Drilling and T/C Tapping

Nice work, but where the video of the T/C head tapping? =)

Re: Here is a program we created for generating G-code for Drilling and T/C Tapping

Thank you and we still need to make a video of the T/C Tapping. the first program ONLY had T/C tapping and we used it to make a bread board like part with around 100 #10-32 holes and i had to relieve the tap by hand on the grinder so it could go to a depth of almost an inch. It did great with a spindle speed of 300 rpms. I have regretted not getting a video of that since. we will probably make a little test block to demo the tapping soon. thanks for watching

How is this any different or better than using HSMWorks or other CAM packages that already have a hole wizard, or is this for those without CAM? In HSMExpress (FREE) there are hole wizards and it takes less than 30 seconds to select one hole then check the box "all holes of same diameter" to select all holes.

Quote Originally Posted by hayes View Post
    How is this any different or better than using HSMWorks or other CAM packages that already have a hole wizard, or is this for those without CAM? In HSMExpress (FREE) there are hole wizards and it takes less than 30 seconds to select one hole then check the box "all holes of same diameter" to select all holes.
    I have been recommended HSM express before, and this is probably very similar. I don't have any experience with HSM but that sounds like a neat feature. I guess one of the benefits of ours is that it requires NO solid model to start (i am assuming that HSM does?) so you don't have to model anything, you can just look at a customers print and go. I thought it may be useful to others who don't have a license of solidworks, or if anyone has simple parts with many holes like some of what we have made lately. I should check out HSM sometime and see what that is like

Quote Originally Posted by EvolveES View Post
    I have been recommended HSM express before, and this is probably very similar. I don't have any experience with HSM but that sounds like a neat feature. I guess one of the benefits of ours is that it requires NO solid model to start (i am assuming that HSM does?) so you don't have to model anything, you can just look at a customers print and go. I thought it may be useful to others who don't have a license of solidworks, or if anyone has simple parts with many holes like some of what we have made lately. I should check out HSM sometime and see what that is like
    I would think many cam programs have hole layout and drill functions in raw format. Sprutcam does, it will allow you to drill holes with polar or rectangular coordinates. Then you can set angles to start and a host of other settings. No drawing or model required. I don't have experience with other cam software but sprutcam has more functions and choices for holes then any other type of operation . They even added feature base milling and as is, it only finds holes, big ones little ones, stepped, counter sunk. chamfered, tapped you name it. Under the help file the title of that section is called "the way of the hole" funny Russians . Anyway like I mentioned in another thread there are many ways to do things and your utility is yet another tool.I would keep building on it, and over time you will have a real custom fitted tool for your use and to share with others "plus you learn a great deal of good programing skills". I wanted to focus and learn the operation side of cnc and opted for the best cam I could afford. Figured if I invest some time in learning as much as possible it would payoff in quality parts from my designs with few problems and more then justify the expense. I looked at all kinds of programs and utilities and decided I wanted to buy and learn one and hope I made the right choice "at the time it was not clear, now I like my selection".
    md

thank you Mountaindew, ya i was pretty sure we weren't the only ones able to do it, but i feel proud that we created it from scratch and tailored to our uses. We plan to build on it with other functions we need or find useful and continue to share it with anyone who is interested. I should check out Sprutcam sometime too, i have the license that came with the Tormach but i have never installed it, i am just so familiar with Solidworks and Mastercam that i tent do just grab those. I should put some time into expanding my CAD and CAM knowledge base. Thank you for your feedback.