586,776 active members*
8,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

40 w chinese laser locked up

I have one of those 40w laser's off ebay and I used it once with moshidraw 2014. Now it's all locked up, the motors lock when its on, but they are stuck and wont move. The fuse on the back is OK, but other than that I don't really known where to start looking for problems, any suggestions?

When I used it went too far and started hitting the side, so I turned it off.
    thanks

Re: 40 w chinese laser locked up

Here are some pictures of the device.

Attachment 268546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	268548

Quote Originally Posted by chiffre View Post
    Here are some pictures of the device.

Attachment 268546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	268548
    When you say the motors are locked, you mean that you cannot move the stage by hand once you power on the laser cutter? Do you hear any noise coming from the steppers?

Try pushing on those heatsinks along the right side of your motherboard just to be sure the stepper drivers didn't work loose. Also make sure none of the connections came loose.

There is a possibility that you blew your stepper drivers when it was stuck against one of the edges. Pretty unlikely though and especially unlikely that both blew.

Try resetting the stage to the upper left corner by hand with the power off, then turn things on and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply,

I've tried moving everything back to the upper left corner and resetting the ICs and chip on the board by hand, but nothing. I've tested the steppers with an external power supply, and they also work. I don't know if the motors share a ground or something, but that could be what's broken.

I'm planning on replacing the board anyway. I've ordered the TB6560 red version and hope to install it so I can use Mach3.

Once I get it in the mail I'll post the process of installing it for anyone interested.

Thanks again.

I've got a TB6560 red version and have hooked it up the Y motor. So far I set the dip switches for 100 percent voltage, 1/16 subdivision mode and I'm feeding the board 25 volts and 3.5 amps max. Here are pictures of the wiring and the config on Mach3.

When I try to test the motor is just makes a high-pitched sound like it's trying to move, but it goes nowhere. That's the only sound it makes and it is locked in place while the board i turned on. Does anyone have any suggestions to get the motor working? Attachment 269718Attachment 269720

I wonder if any of these changes will work with Linux CNC? Anyone have any experience with it?

OK, well I made quite a bit of progress. My friend helped me correct by settings on Mach3. I am now able to control both X and Y axis with the software. I pulled the old multimeter and took the cable going to the X axis and it turns out it is the four wires on the left hand side of the cable that control it. I soldered new wires to that and hooked everything up to the board and it worked. I had to mess with the dip switches a bit but 50 percent fast decay mode with full voltage works the best so far.

Now to get the home switches and laser hooked up.

See pictures for reference and the right config as well as dip switch set up. Attachment 269770Attachment 269772Attachment 269774Attachment 269776Attachment 269778
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0023.jpg   DSC_0029.jpg   DSC_0032.jpg   DSC_0033.jpg  

mach3-2.JPG  

Well, as I've read on a number of forums about these cutters -- they have no lock-washers-- and this is a serious problem. In the middle of testing I heard a screw fall out someplace. After some investigation it seems all of the screws are loose and will need lock-washers. I guess I thought (hoped) washers would at least be on the critical moving parts -- apparently the Chinese have not discovered lock-washers at all.
    A quick note to anyone buying the k40: you need to add lock-washers to every single screw. Otherwise it will simply fall apart, as mine is doing.

good luck