586,409 active members*
3,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > CNC Router newbie looking for some people to discuss ideas with

CNC Router newbie looking for some people to discuss ideas with

Hey guys...

I am a newbie, but I have had some lathe/mill training (Cert 2) from night classes at the local TAFE.

Im looking at building a CNC Router to cut up styrene plastic (2 to 5 mill thick) for models I need to make for another project I am working on (It never stops!) Im hoping to be able to build outlines in Adobe Illustrator, and have the outlines cut out by the router.

Im happy to build something that comes in plan form, and enter this hobby killing two birds with one stone. If anyone has any ideas of which model that exists that would answer my needs, feel free to sing out. At this point in time, an easy dremel driven unit would be very cool to experiment and play with.

Based in Melbourne, and have a cool supply of beer I can bring to any gatherings

Any advice or help is appreciated and will be returned.

-Icesplice

Try searching for JGRO free plans or Joe2000che free plans on this site, both great places to start, might be a bit large for what you want to make, but good place to start looking. Welcome the the 'zone, there is HEAPS of info on the site, the general rule is to post a build log once you have started building with heaps of photo's for us to oogle over.

Your welcome to drop in to have a look at my router (nearly finished) but you better have a pretty good esky (I'm a 50k's south of Cairns) hehe.

Might be easier to view the thread :

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22101

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Russell.

Thanks for the welcome Russell. Your Router looks SWEET!
    When you get it finished, I'll send you a beer! :P

I have seen some of the plans here, and I think they are great, but I am looking for something a little simpler to break my teeth on. I was looking at the router plans on this page : http://www.crankorgan.com/plans.htm

I dont know if anyone has had any experience with them, as the guy does not seem to sell outside the US. Still, very similar ideas have made there way into other machine designs.

Once I decide on the machine to build, I will definitely post a build log. I think it would be a great way to share the ideas, and not stall on the build.

-Icesplice

After looking and chatting to members, I am going to build my first router based on JGRO free plans. Anyone in Melbourne already built one,and would want to field some quick questions?

-Icesplice

Good luck with your build, always good to see another Aussie "addict"

Russell.

Thanks Russ.... I have definitely been "bitten".

I wonder if there is anyone around who has a CNC router and could cut me some parts for my JGRO? I'd be happy to compensate for the time on the router.

-Icesplice

Definately start a build log, and again good luck !!!

Russell.

Hi, I,m in Caniambo, near Shepparton, N.E Vic. If its not too far,

I'm planing to build a log of the build, but right now I am just getting materials and hopefully cutting shapes this weekend. I don't think people would be to interested in pics of MDF board and stuff. Once I am further, the log will begin.

Hey John, I think a drive to the country would be fun

-Icesplice