586,546 active members*
3,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > High Pitched Noise from K40 Laser Cutter and doesn't burn (see vid)

High Pitched Noise from K40 Laser Cutter and doesn't burn (see vid)

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum (and it has helped me understand plenty after just an hour of looking over it) after receiving my laser cutter a couple of days ago. My first issue was that the laser didn't burn when I pressed the pulse button. I traced it back to a wire that hadn't been wired in correctly from the control board to the laser PSU and it worked for about 3 cuts. Now I'm faced with my next issue... from what I can gather, the PSU just emits a high pitched screech when I press pulse / send a job to it. It doesn't burn anything. I'm not holding too much hope of the Chinese seller being able to help as they don't seem very knowledgeable though I have lodged a case against them on ebay so at the very worst, I'll send it back and get my money back.

Is the PSU shot do you think?

Hope you can help!

Thanks

Ben

Re: High Pitched Noise from K40 Laser Cutter and doesn't burn (see vid)

hi there
    you got a short in the HV wire check the HV wire ( thick red) all the way to the tube connector. dot use it till you found and corrected the failure or you damge or destroy the power supply or even the tube.
    greetings
    waltfl

Quote Originally Posted by herby08 View Post
    hi there
    you got a short in the HV wire check the HV wire ( thick red) all the way to the tube connector. dot use it till you found and corrected the failure or you damge or destroy the power supply or even the tube.
    greetings
    waltfl
    Seconded. You appear to have a short from the high voltage, possibly to the case. Find it before you power it up anymore.

Thanks both. After looking, it appears that the tube is cracked at one end - guess this is allowing the HV to short to the case?

I'm not sure who built this but I can see me replacing pretty much every component by the time I get it sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by netstable View Post
    Thanks both. After looking, it appears that the tube is cracked at one end - guess this is allowing the HV to short to the case?

I'm not sure who built this but I can see me replacing pretty much every component by the time I get it sorted!
    Look at my thread on upgrading. I pretty much decided I was replacing just about everything but the bare essentials before I even bought it. I watched for a discount before I bit, so I got mine for $400 shipped. However, mine did arrive in pretty good condition, no wiring issues or many of the other issues others have complained about.