586,912 active members*
3,380 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Charter I.H. Clone build

That base looks very narrow to me I suppose it could just be the same width as a zx45 but the length makes it look narrow

Quote Originally Posted by dracozny View Post
    That base looks very narrow to me I suppose it could just be the same width as a zx45 but the length makes it look narrow
    Well I don't know if this means anything to anyone but the base is just at 16" across. Maybe the photo did not make it look correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
    Well I don't know if this means anything to anyone but the base is just at 16" across. Maybe the photo did not make it look correct.
    Yea, its the same width as the ZX. I think it was just the length that makes it look odd. The zx is 24.5" long.

Quote Originally Posted by dracozny View Post
    Yea, its the same width as the ZX. I think it was just the length that makes it look odd. The zx is 24.5" long.

The base is 27.5 inches long on the Charter oak.

I got my machine on the new base table today so I can start pulling it apart. Pretty big compared to my CNC'd RF31 in the background. That's a 1236 Birmingham Lathe behind it. I really would have liked a shorter x as I really don't need it. 30" would have been fine and fit in the shop better but someday it will come in handy. The Y is awesome though, that's the big winner here along with the square column. Well now comes the hard part, I'm running 1200 OZ steppers on my RF 31 and it's never missed a step, well except once when I had a buddy doing a job and I was cutting something and the high frequency from the Mig welder freaked out the electronics in the mill and destroyed the part. NOTE TO SELF, NO MIG WELDING WHILE RUNNING A CNC PROGRAM.
    So anyway again it's the stepper vs the servo decision. I wish there was only one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
    I got my machine on the new base table today so I can start pulling it apart. Pretty big compared to my CNC'd RF31 in the background. That's a 1236 Birmingham Lathe behind it. I really would have liked a shorter x as I really don't need it. 30" would have been fine and fit in the shop better but someday it will come in handy. The Y is awesome though, that's the big winner here along with the square column. Well now comes the hard part, I'm running 1200 OZ steppers on my RF 31 and it's never missed a step, well except once when I had a buddy doing a job and I was cutting something and the high frequency from the Mig welder freaked out the electronics in the mill and destroyed the part. NOTE TO SELF, NO MIG WELDING WHILE RUNNING A CNC PROGRAM.
    So anyway again it's the stepper vs the servo decision. I wish there was only one or the other.
    Thank you for the heads up about the welding! although I have to wonder if you have a shielding issue on the cables.

Shielding? what's shielding? Just kidding. He was right next to the machine and all my cables are shielded and grounded but that Mig high frequency starting will blow through almost anything. I keep my computers and cell phone far away when I weld with Mig.