Quote Originally Posted by dracozny View Post
Doesn't matter if you do belt or direct drive the AC Bearings will be holding that weight regardless. Try weighing that head if you can. I found using one 150 lb spring was actually more pressure than what was needed to equalize the head. I would guess since it's already mounted that the ZX head minus the quill feed is roughly 125 lbs and not 200+ like I have seen purported by others.
Thank you drac, It's really a mute point about the Z axis. I'm going to run the 4200 stepper on the Z axis without any counter weight. The guy I'm modeling the machine after has run his for almost 3 years with no issues so I'm going to give it a shot. His machine runs smooth, fast and solid. I hate to be a copy cat but reinventing the wheel is not always the best solution. I'm making some changes to the design as far as belt drive X and Y to give me more room without the motors sticking out the ends of the axis. One motor under the machine for the Y and one motor parallel in front of the X axis on the right side. If I was left handed it would be on the left side. All the axis will have 4 pole double throw switches so they can be shut off the X and Y at will for doing hand jogging and resetting easy and quickly. I will also have a rotary switch, pulse controller and jog button so I can use the machine quickly and easily without turning on mach 3 or a computer. That will be a big plus for doing quickies so I can move the head. Waiting for parts at the moment, Hate that part.