3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Testing File Upload

Testing File Upload

Hope this works????

Thanks, Dave

Re: Testing File Upload

Ok, looks to be there!!, This file is originaly from grabcad the opened in bc and saved as bc file... I scaled it, it imported in mm. and was huge ( the part itself ). Now I seem to be able to get 3d toolpaths but not sure why I cant extract edges and make boundry's to be able to do 2d tool paths???????. If anyone can give a couple of clues on this it would help my learning???

Thanks, Dave

My guess is it was a .stl file from Grab Cad ?
    What was the file extension originally ?

Yes it was .stl, what are the implications of that being the case?????

Thanks, Dave

You pretty much have seen the limitations with BobCAD.
    I am not really the person to be educating on .stl.
    I had it explained to me that they are a "Dumb Solid"
    In other words you cannot do much with them as far as changing anything,except scaling.There are other softwares that can work with .stl,but not BoB.The surface can be used for surfacing 3D tool paths
    If you do a forum search,these.stl have been talked about before by much wiser than me..
    Your into guitars??forum member "mmoe" been there ,done that.Maybe pm him.

Send me the stl, and I can put a wireframe on it to get toolpaths. [email protected]

Ok, Thanks for the info, I feel like I'm getting someplace now...And thanks for the offer poolrod2 but it is more of an experiment to see how the software works than the need for the file.... I create solids in autocad but have not had the time to do ones that I would like to use on the machine Im building.. The other question I have would be, there was a file of the same part that was a sldprt file but has a bad part the I can't seem to fix in bc. Probably my lack of experience with the software!!

Thanks Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dvprice View Post
    Ok, The other question I have would be, there was a file of the same part that was a sldprt file but has a bad part the I can't seem to fix in bc.
    Yes, you want to choose a NURBS format model. IGES, SAT, STEP, SLDPRT, etc.............

A lot of times the models put up there are broken and need a lot of repair (From a 3d standpoint), but using them to extract 2d geometry for CAM is possible, as long as precision is not your goal, but "close" is OK.....

62 Strat complete in V25

Hi, Thanks JEST for the fixed file...What software did you use?????

Thanks, Dave

As I stated in the PM, I do not think I drew this particular model.
    I think I downloaded it (perhaps from GrabCad). I could not find any indication in the folder, of where the original came from. I created several guitar models for others, but cannot find the original model for this one. If I did use a GrabCad file, I would have used the Solidworks file, then exported as an IGES file for import to Bobcad. Maybe exported as a STEP file, depending on the complexity. This is a simple model, so either would work fine. Opening in Solidworks would allow for correcting errors before exporting to Bobcad.
    All modifications, line extractions... were done using Bobcad V25, to separate layers for ease of selection.

Nice looking body, whoever created it.